QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2, 2022

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's the beginning of March and spring is just around the corner. Our snow has melted and I can see the grass turning green. I can't wait for the trees to start getting their leaves since I love trees! 🌳🌲🌴 They're good for the environment, provide oxygen, help reduce water run off, and provide homes and protection for many birds and animals. We have five trees on our property including maples, a magnolia and a fir tree.

HOW MANY TREES ARE ON THE PROPERTY WHERE YOU LIVE WHETHER A HOUSE, APARTMENT OR OTHER DWELLING? WHAT TYPE OF TREES ARE THEY?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have lots of trees all over the apartments where i live along with the houses nearbybut here in socal trees are green year round mainly including plants weeds etc.things get brown during summer heat and droughts also year round for us. :rolleyes:guess you guys out east can expect more smoke from our summer fires again since the little rain we got isnt nearly enough to have stuff green enough not to burn again

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, I have 6 acres with a shelterbelt, so no idea! A lot. The shelterbelt is probably 2 acres altogether. I spend most of my spring and summer cutting mulberry trees out of places they shouldn't be.

I don't know what most of them are. The purposely planted ones around the part of the property that isn't shelterbelt are linden and blue spruce, and there's a line of scrub pines dividing the property in half. There are 2 100-year-old ash trees, but the emerald ash borer will probably be here within a couple of years. There are 2 extremely old clumps of lilacs---I had them cleared out last year to get rid of the old wood. They grew back nicely but I'm not sure they'll bloom this year. I think the shelterbelt is mostly cottonwood and hackberry, some maples and at least 2 honey locusts. There are some evergreens too but I'm not sure what kind. They're tall and skinny, not conical like the blue spruces.

We haven't had any moisture all winter and most of the summer and fall before that. Everything is dust, although so far the trees seem ok. But if we don't get any moisture this spring, things are going to get dire.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have almost two acres of land. I think, the last time Rick counted, we had 48 trees. That was after we lost all those spruce trees a few years back. We have Colorado blue spruce, white pines, maple, silver maple, redbud, oak, Japanese maple. black walnut. ornamental chestnut, weeping cherry, amongst a bunch of others.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the beginning of March and spring is just around the corner. Our snow has melted and I can see the grass turning green. I can't wait for the trees to start getting their leaves since I love trees! 🌳🌲🌴 They're good for the environment, provide oxygen, help reduce water run off, and provide homes and protection for many birds and animals. We have five trees on our property including maples, a magnolia and a fir tree.

HOW MANY TREES ARE ON THE PROPERTY WHERE YOU LIVE WHETHER A HOUSE, APARTMENT OR OTHER DWELLING? WHAT TYPE OF TREES ARE THEY?
Just 1 in the front yard a Clump Birch.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
WAY too many. We have a wooded area on the side and back as well as a lot in the yard itself. Some of the ones in the yard are a Metasequoia, redbud, beebee, river birch, heptacodium, dogwoods, a few pear, plum, weeping cherries, Japanese maple, weeping hemlock and witch hazel.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have one tree actually on my property - a beautiful Linden tree. But my property line is bordered by trees. In the alley behind my house a half dozen 60 year old pines and several small maples; pines and maples on my west side, apple trees on the east and two old Ash trees on the boulevard in front.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 giant silver maples in the backyard and another type of maple in the front yard. I also have an oak tree (I think...) and a dogwood tree (I planted this last August) in the front yard. Since I moved in 2 years ago I planted 3 white spruces, 2 amur maples, 1 lilac tree (I have another one in the backyard too that I didn't plant) and 1 chokecherry tree in the backyard. Oh I also have a mulberry tree that is growing in the fenced in garden that I never use.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In front of the house are two maples. They are on the city maintained space, and I can't remove them (though I would dearly love to, and replace them with flowering dogwoods). In the back yard is a red bud. There's also a large pine that is technically on my neighbor's yard, but grown over to also have branches on mine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 40 acres of mostly Juniper trees. There are a few others, but I don't know what they are.

I spend most of my spring and summer cutting mulberry trees out of places they shouldn't be.
I love mulberries. Years ago I had a friend who had a giant black mulberry tree (black berries). Climbed up it with a small bucket and just sat on a limb and gorged on the berries. Had a rash for days.
Guess I'm allergic, but that won't stop me if I ever see another. Have eaten the white mulberries also, but they aren't as good.