Question Of The Day, Wednesday, June 26, 2019

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I lived in Germany for 5 years and I don't believe it ever got in the 90's while I was there.
I didn't realize Germany had such hot temps.
Really hot weather used to be rare here, but heat waves have increased in frequency over the last two decades. 2003 was literally a real killer, and last summer came very close. We now have to worry about insect-borne diseases that used to be unknown here, too, like West Nile virus and heartworm in pets. :(

Today is going to be another scorcher.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Really hot weather used to be rare here, but heat waves have increased in frequency over the last two decades. 2003 was literally a real killer, and last summer came very close. We now have to worry about insect-borne diseases that used to be unknown here, too, like West Nile virus and heartworm in pets. :(

Today is going to be another scorcher.
Stay cool!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm making a list! MUST find one of those little wearable fans!

If you keep your bathroom door shut at all times, run the overhead vent if you have one often to keep it from getting humid from all the water sources.
With Hekitty in the house, that's not an issue. There are no closed doors. She can open every one of them, and DOES. Thank GOD, she's my only roommate!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm making a list! MUST find one of those little wearable fans!

With Hekitty in the house, that's not an issue. There are no closed doors. She can open every one of them, and DOES. Thank GOD, she's my only roommate!
I found one of those little wearable fans at Beds, Bath and Beyond a few years ago. It was only $5.00. I don't know how to post a picture of it here.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wear a necklace fan just about everywhere I go as well. The brand is 2 Cool and amazon sells them, too. They are more expensive now.

A bit expensive, but I have a cooling vest by Arctic Heat. I have a disease that makes me extremely sensitive to heat. I haven’t used it this year. I would recommend it, as it’s great!

I recently bought thermal room darkening curtains for the living room, as we no longer have shade and get the morning sun, plus the intense heat during the day. It has really made a difference and the A/C doesn’t have to work as hard.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 the fan

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This year has been very weird for us in southern california. Usually we're swamped by 90+ degree weather at this time of the year, but this year we've had 2-3 days of real heat and mostly 70s weather. Last year we had the AC running non-stop and it could barely keep the house at 80°F.

If I was really desperate to cool down at home, I'd stick a damp towel in the freezer for a couple minutes, then take it out and drape it across my neck. Also, I started making watermelon ice last year and it was extremely refreshing (crush/blend watermelon into a juice - you can add a tiny amount of sugar or sweetener if the watermelon is a little bland; stick in freezer in preferably flat, but round works too, bowl; take out and scrape with a fork every hour until you get slush).