Question of the Day - Wednesday, June 1st

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yikes! I'm supposed to do the question today. I've been away on vacation and trying to catch up. :nod:

Happy June 1st. :nod:

Do you have any trips planned in the next few months?

We are going to Vermont and New Hampshire in August.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. I used to like to travel. Now I like day trips. Get up early, go where we want to, get home in time to sleep in my own bed.
The historical group has a bus trip planned in July, leaving at seven in the morning. They are going to stop for breakfast at McDonalds, go to a plantation, then stop for lunch, on to another city. There they will have some free time for shopping at antique stores, and then visit a local museum. They will arrive back home around nine that evening. I think that might be a fun trip.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DD and I have to go to West Palm Beach on 6/16 so she can take a test that should help her get financial aid for grad school. One of her professors recommended it. Does that count?  
  I will go see a movie or something while she is taking the exam. 

FIL/MIL and my niece and nephew are coming down in June as well. They will want me to take the kids somewhere. Maybe a theme park. They are 14 (twins) and great kids. We'll go where they want. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Considering that we are planning to get married before year's end - no vacation/honeymoon planned as of yet.  

We don't even have a date when that's happening.  Various holdups preventing us from making more concrete plans; he still needs to get a copy of his 30 year old divorce decree, I want to be more recovered from the dental implant surgery, and most of all I need to get our front door replaced because it's a serious issue for anyone watching the kitties. Tom and I both have had problems sometimes getting it to unlock - it swells in bad weather.  The entire door and frame need replacement which is costly and more so, no contractor seems to be willing thus far to do anything other than a pre-made door which we can't do - the dimensions are totally custom unfortunately (very old house!).

So, we'll deal with it after the fact.  Tom goes back to school beginning September. I would be lovely if we could manage to escape for at least a few days and we can take a grand vacation later on when it is more convenient. We haven't been away on a real one for years now; we are LONG overdue!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
we take the cats with us to a lake cottage in maine in middle august. the cats love it up there. they have lots of land and we stay at the cottage most of the time. swimming. barbecue. kayak. jon bought a boat for dirt cheap and needs to get an outboard motor for it so I am sure we will be out in the boat early morning and late afternoon to avoid burning.

then we hit the yard sales in the area=he loves looking at old metal junk mens crap I call it. I look for books and comfy clothes and things the cats can destroy.

we watch movies or read. and sleep...Jon is a napper. He can sleep all day and all night. I don't know how he does it. but most nights he is up watching a movie..so we try to go to bed at sundown so when the sun comes up we get up and site see. This year I have to do a better job of taking him out for rides-I tend to read for days on end not doing anything else which drives him crazy. So this year going to try to go up the maine coast as we will be up around Belfast and Acadia national park. we then go to the beach and look for seaglass...cant wait!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We are planning a trip to the Finger Lakes area sometime in July, just a long weekend kind of thing.

And our (what has become an) annual trip to Vermont to take a baking class at King Arthur, probably in October.

Other than that, just a few day trips here and there. Even for a long day trip, we have to put the dog in the kennel, so we won't be doing much of the all-day things anymore.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cuba in July. It will be our first vacation together (and we've been together for 14 years). Kids are staying with my mom and sister. I'm excited.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day trips for me too.....spent too much time on the road over the years and now I don't much like travelling any distance. Might go on a trip on a local short line railway and have the lunch as well but that will be about it.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

we take the cats with us to a lake cottage in maine in middle august. the cats love it up there. they have lots of land and we stay at the cottage most of the time. swimming. barbecue. kayak. jon bought a boat for dirt cheap and needs to get an outboard motor for it so I am sure we will be out in the boat early morning and late afternoon to avoid burning.

then we hit the yard sales in the area=he loves looking at old metal junk mens crap I call it. I look for books and comfy clothes and things the cats can destroy.

we watch movies or read. and sleep...Jon is a napper. He can sleep all day and all night. I don't know how he does it. but most nights he is up watching a movie..so we try to go to bed at sundown so when the sun comes up we get up and site see. This year I have to do a better job of taking him out for rides-I tend to read for days on end not doing anything else which drives him crazy. So this year going to try to go up the maine coast as we will be up around Belfast and Acadia national park. we then go to the beach and look for seaglass...cant wait!
I'm envious that you're able to take your cats with you. I've been trying to find someplace that will accept them nearby - even if it's just a condo down at the shore in NJ (where we live).  But sadly not a lot of those around.  We're not interested in staying in a major chain hotel - most aren't close enough to the beach anyway.  Someone in my neighborhood had a lovely condo for rent but refused the kitties. *sighs*

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is very upset we can't go anywhere longer then a day, but since my 'herd' shows up to eat at 4 in the morning I can't find anyone to feed them. I have GOT to try to rig up a raccoon proof feeder, because I can't leave food out either, a whole sack would be gone in a night.  We spend an overnight trip a couple times a year, but I worry the whole time. We spent two days in Salina a month ago, it was nice to see a bigger city! There are several feral toms who tolerate each other as long as they have food, but they might fight if there isn't any there. I don't have any family here that is capable, 83 years old, and really no good friends since we just moved to this city a few years ago. I'll get started on that feeder!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the only trip i have planned is a day at the vet's while our jaspurr has dental work done. that will be on june 16th, and i'll bring my lunch with me. it'll be most of the day there for jaspurr and me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not a one.  Although, if my disability goes through, and if I get a decent back-pay check, I would love to go visit my granddaughter in Tennessee!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last trip was October /November of last year. I went to Edinburgh for 10 days to meet a Penfriend. I had a lovely time and we're still writing. However it was a bit hard for me, the travelling. I should have flown from London to Edinburgh but I took the coach. 12 hours. I flew back to London. I can't see me going abroad anymore although I'd like one last trip to England. My sister and her idiot husband are moving here September for good do there won't be any reason to go to England again. Apart from that I have no plans. I would like to go back to Edinburgh though.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing planned for this year.  I am taking the last two weeks of this month off.  The most I am going to do is spend a couple of days with the kids and grandkids in Northeast Ohio.  I might take a day try to the reptile zoo in Kentucky where one of only four people in the country milks snakes.  I was going to do that last year but didn't go.  I have such an irrational fear of snakes even when they are safely contained I don't know if I will or not.  He has a set schedule and if I go it will be either the day he milks the Gaboon Viper or the day he milks the King Cobra.  

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes. Weather permitting I'm going to do a one day hike next Thursday. It's up a beautiful gorge with some amazing rock pools and waterfalls. It's not that far away so if we leave here at 6 am we should be back in time to feed the kitties dinner. I'm hoping the monsoon holds off long enough for me to do it.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to Ireland this fall! Exxxciiiiiitteeed! All on my own, aw yeah!

I can't decide where to go next year 
 Only just managed to narrow it down to three countries and various cities.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Cuba in July. It will be our first vacation together (and we've been together for 14 years). Kids are staying with my mom and sister. I'm excited.
Cuba!  Exciting.  

Going with hubby to Alaska the first week of July and then I'm going on an archaeological tour of the Southwest (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico) in September.  Hubby will stay home and cat-sit for that trip.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
SOOOOO jealous of you now. I've wanted to go to Cuba ever since I saw The Buena Vista Social Club. I just love all those images of decaying grandeur and vibrant street life. I'd love to see some photos of your trip. If you start a thread about your Cuba experience please let me know.