Question Of The Day, Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you planning on celebrating, or are you staying home to try to fend off a feline meltdown?

I'm fending, myself. I can't see any reason to get caught up in all of the hullaballoo down at the City Park. Hekitty does not do fireworks well, and I'm better off here keeping her sparkly demons at bay.

HUH...it's almost 1 AM and there have been absolutely NO early booms this year. That's a first.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Staying home. We don't get all that much firework activity. The girls have never seemed affected by it before. I do keep the windows closed because of the AC being on so that might help keep the noise down some.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I spent a couple of hours driving yesterday and there was just too much unpredictability on the road! I will just stay home today. :yess:

There is much setting off of fireworks, but I don't have many close neighbors. Most of what I (and the kitties) hear is not that loud and the kitties don't seem bothered too much. They are used to my loud music, and after that the fireworks probably don't seem like much. :p

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Staying home. We are early morning people, so late nights, like New Years Eve and the 4th are missed by us. My cats get nervous hearing all the booms, but are fine in the house. I just wish people would obey the law about the time limits. They are still going at it up until midnight every night for a week. Supposed to be done at 10:00 and only three days before and one day after. I can see the time coming when only big displays will be allowed, too many infractions, people getting hurt, and fires.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Picnic and community fireworks at my sister's house tonight.

Neighbors have been shooting fireworks around here for a good week or so.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Home. We were away for 8 days last week, that was enough running around for the moment. Plus it's been incredibly hot and humid in our area - not my fav weather to be out and about.
Our local fireworks were last night - I had no idea. We never get any kind of notice about it, from anywhere. Our cats could care less. Both were nonplussed by the booms.
Happy 4th to all though.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am staying home with the air conditioning. Though I certainly appreciate a free day off I really am not going to get into any celebration when I worked yesterday and go back tomorrow.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm staying home, too. My neighborhood watches the city fireworks from a small park just a block away, but I can't carry a chair down there or get down to the ground on a blanket to watch them. I do love the fireworks, though. Once we went down to the Washington Monument grounds in DC to see them, and little flags floated down from the explosions.

Fireworks have been going off here from neighboring towns for a couple of days. Last night, Mingo wandered into the living room, swiveling his ears and looking around for the noise, but no hysterics.

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're staying home, well, we just got home from Home Depot and the grocery store. That's our big holiday outing! Fireworks are not that big of a deal for us since we go to Disneyland every year and see displays then. Our town does nice ones but I'm always in bed by 9:30, the crowds that gather cause tremendous traffic, and I would rather not sit in my car for 45 minutes after the show for a drive that normally takes 10 minutes.

We have cold prosecco, king crab legs with beurre blanc sauce, slaw, and Jaws on the DVR. Perfect! <<<< All of this....in AIR CONDITIONING!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Staying home here. We're keeping the cats in just to be safe, but it probably isn't necessary. Fireworks are illegal in our city, and we usually don't hear anything from the next town, where they are legal.

7.gif

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 4th falling mid-week kind of puts a crapper on our plans, so we usually do the weekend bit and celebrate then =)

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am staying home with the air conditioning. Though I certainly appreciate a free day off I really am not going to get into any celebration when I worked yesterday and go back tomorrow.
Exactly. I'll be back out in the heat tomorrow so I'll take the a/c. My boss called this 'a week end'. I reminded him it was just Wed. off. lol

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to go to work for a little while this morning - the shelter won't be open to the public, but the animals still need to be cared for - and I'm going back in the afternoon to check on them and let the dogs out for awhile.

Then tonight I have rehearsal for an upcoming community theater event. In between I'll probably grab a quick dinner with my parents.

So nothing specifically holiday-related. My town did its fireworks show last night, and I watched a little bit of it from my yard, but it was kind of late for me (I go to bed pretty early on work nights) and I didn't feel like fighting crowds/traffic to get a better view.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Staying home - our town gets overrun by tourists this time of year and I try to stay as far away as possible. We live about 25 miles outside town so we don't get a lot of the chaos here.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not American but had Canada Day couple days ago - I had to work during the day, but went out to see the fireworks at night. It was lovely! Brought chairs, sat along the water on a boardwalk, nice weather, great firework show, friendly atmosphere of people and no bugs. Easy to drive in, park and walk.

Thankfully I live far enough where the kitties don't hear anything, so they were pretty relaxed and normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oddly, NO ONE set off "early" personal fireworks last night in my neighborhood. First time that has happened in the 10 years I've lived here. Does make me wonder what they are plotting and planning for tonight...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to the cemetery :D

It's an old non endowment cemetery that happens to be at the base of the mountain the city has fireworks on. So you pay $5 which helps the cemetery, they have kids games and music going on. Really great view of the fireworks too. No niece this year and my parents are staying home but I am going to set up a sunshade, read a book and relax. After working at Disneyland and speifically crowd control during fireworks; there really isn't a as well put together and timed show out there. But there is just something about the energy of a large group of people having fun and enjoy them together. The cats will be in and the house closed up so I don't anticipate problems there.

Last night was bad for illegal fireworks. Every two-three hours some idiot was setting off a large motar firework and ALL the car alarms around us kept going off. Luckily the cats were largely unaffected.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We spent the day at a local dog show that is incorporated with their 4th of July parade so not necessary to go to fireworks tonight. However, we can catch a glimpse of the fireworks display from one of our upstair's bedroom windows. It's great because we can keep Carleton company and stay nice and cool in air conditioning. :yess:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We spent the day at a local dog show that is incorporated with their 4th of July parade so not necessary to go to fireworks tonight. However, we can catch a glimpse of the fireworks display from one of our upstair's bedroom windows. It's great because we can keep Carleton company and stay nice and cool in air conditioning. :yess:
*ear perk* dog show? =)

Sounds like fun!!!! What kind of events did they have?