Question Of The Day. Wednesday, January 31, 2018

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
:hellosmiley: @Mamanyt1953 is recovering from the flu and asked me to ask The Question of the Day, today. I pondered :headscratch: and considered several ideas :ruminating: before realizing that the ideal question was right before me. :idea: It's a two-parter.

A. Did you get a flu shot this year?
B. Have you ever had the flu?

CatInBedWithFever.jpg

I'll go first. I have not gotten my flu shot yet but have been scared into getting one as soon as possible by reports of how serious the flu is in the USA, which is where I'm located. Knowing someone who actually has the flu is another push in the right direction.

I have never had the flu. If I were superstitious, I would be knocking firmly on wood right now. Well...it wouldn't hurt, would it?

Knock on wood.gif

What about you? Have you gotten a flu shot yet? Have you ever had the flu? :sickcat:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, to both questions!!

I get an annual flu shot, due to asthma. Got one in September of this year.

I have had the flu, several years ago. It has been a while since I had flu. I usually get the respiratory part of it, more than the stomach issues. I usually end up with asthmatic bronchitis/pneumonia.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes and yes. I just knocked on some wood as well. I have asthma and my flu turned into pneumonia with a little pleurisy thrown in for fun. It's probably the sickest I have been in my life. It took a very, very long time to recover.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I got a flu shot this year as I do every year.

I did get the flu last year. Was sick all week, thankfully my kitties comforted me!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, working with students makes me more superstitious so I get the flu shot every year. A long, long time ago when the shot contained a live vaccine I did have a reaction to it.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Nope, I've never had a flu shot and never had the flu either.

I guess I'm lucky???

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't get the flu shot. I might have had the flu once, long ago. I am nuts about washing my hands and do it often. I don't hug or shake hands during flu season. I usually go to the nursing home every month with friends to sing and play for the people there. It is cancelled this month because they have flu there. @Mamanyt1953 I hope you feel better soon.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the flu shot and yes have still gotten the flu. But getting the shot gets your immune system revved up, so it is ready and you are not as sick. The virus mutates as it goes so shots are sometimes not enough to prevent a new strain. Remember it takes two weeks for the shots to be effective, so if still no shot, get it done! Remember too, almost ALL of the deaths have occured to people who were not vaccinated.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Think I'll get the shot next year. Recently recovered from the flu. Was sick 2 weeks and lost 15 lbs in 3 days. First time I've had it in 30 something years.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been getting the shots for a few years now. As I've become older, it seems reasonable to do so. Plus, I'm the only person in my office that can do my job. If I'm down for a week (which the flu certainly can do to you - been there!) it really can be problematic. Payroll, banking, HR, it all comes to a screeching halt if I'm not around.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never got the flu shot, although I did have it once. Many, many years ago. Two weeks of wishing I would just die. I almost never get sick, not even a cold, so that one hit me like a brick. But it was only the once.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had flu in 1993 which developed into pneumonia. Not nice at all. In spite of that I haven't had a flu jab. Luckily I seem to be able to get over colds quickly. I must be a tough old bird. Get well soon @Mamanyt1953 .

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've never gotten a flu shot, and i did have (some strain of) the flu earlier this winter.

i'm not sure it would actually be the best thing for me, getting a flu shot. with the Raynaud's i have, i've had some serious reactions to other shots -- like a tetanus shot a couple years ago, which i had a bad reaction to.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've never gotten a flu shot, and i did have (some strain of) the flu earlier this winter.

i'm not sure it would actually be the best thing for me, getting a flu shot. with the Raynaud's i have, i've had some serious reactions to other shots -- like a tetanus shot a couple years ago, which i had a bad reaction to.
You have Reynaud's too? I can definitely feel for you. This year my toes have split and I can barely walk. Can't wait until spring when the old skin can peel off and I will have fresh healthy skin on my toes again.
Hope yours gets better soon. Very painful.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get the flu shot, even though my school offers it for free. If my doctor ever told me I needed it because I was pregnant or something, or I had an immuno-compromised student I would, but I prefer to build up my immunity without it for now.

I think I had the flu a couple years back. I don't think I got it tested, though.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't get the flu shot and while I occasionally get the stomach flu I've never had influenza. Or if I have it's been so long that I don't remember...

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My doc makes sure I always get the flu shot. Never had the flu as far as I know.

As a trucker,I have to go into shipper/receiver offices every night. I do my best to avoid handling stuff with bare hands(I bring my own pen,wear gloves,etc). Same in truck stops,and with credit card/bank teller machines. I don't do buffets,as people just don't wash their hands much anymore. I am not OCD,but very cautious. If I get sick on the road,I am hosed.