Question of the Day, Wednesday, January 15, 2020

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I burnt a hole in my chin and leg with hair remover cream. You can still see a slight scar, but it's fading.

I sprained my hand falling over a boat outside. The rope thingy anchoring it to the ground was a clear color that I couldn't see and I tripped over it.

I sprained my hand another time doing backflips on a bar that my brother hung up for doing exercises.

I don't know if I would call this stupid, because it was an eating disorder. But not eating for 3 weeks and busting my stomach and almost dying.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a teen I sort of started to sprint down the stairs while holding to my Jack Russell. I slipped and started thump-sliding on my rear and back all the way down the rest of the stairs. I eventually landed somewhat upside down on the bottom of the stairs.

But since I was determined to make sure my Pepper wasn't hurt, I had lifted her over my head and she remained unscathed :yess::lol: I was pretty relieved.

But my toosh, shoulders and back were a tad sore for a while! Glad nothing worse occurred at least, phew!

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was chasing my cat in my ceramic tiled kitchen while wearing footie pajamas with my hands in my pockets and I tripped and being my hands were in my pockets I landed on my nose. My hubby heard me fall and came in I looked up feeling embarrassed and he said you ok? You look ok. And at that point my nose started pouring blood. I just sat there stunned watching it pool on the tile while he freaked out.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
The dumbest way I have ever hurt myself was when I got married because my attorney thought that it might be a good idea. I was distraught at the time and not thinking clearly. My attorney was just trying to make me shut up and get off the phone so he could get back to a more lucrative client. I'm sure it never occured to him that I would take him literally.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I don't know if I would call this stupid, because it was an eating disorder. But not eating for 3 weeks and busting my stomach and almost dying.
Not stupid. Not good, but definitely not stupid. Stupid was marrying a crack addict and getting myself beat up all the time.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some of these have really made me wince!!

Probably my worst was a fractured wrist as a kid - did it at primary school. Ran across the playing field towards the climbing frame. The plan was to jump, catch the bars and swing a bit and then let go. We all used to do it. Hurtled across the field, tripped on a small concrete lip at the edge of the grass, landed in a heap, fractured right wrist.

I remember the dinner lady told me not to be stupid and stop crying..... And they then made me go swimming in the afternoon with a fracture.

Other stupid things include falling down the stairs while taking out the recycling (that was recently lol). Nice bruised knee...

Black eye falling off a horse - not his fault, he tripped and went to his knees and I went over his head. Very embarrassing to admit as I have been riding for quite a while!

Oh.... And was getting off my bike at the gym prior to a class. As I swung my leg back over the saddle, I caught my foot on my pannier, lost my balance totally and fell over backwards. Landed heavily on the bike next to mine, and the pedal dug into my leg Massive bruises on thigh and, hip and rear!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought you all might get a kick out of this story recently in our local paper. A local elementary had apparently a bad case of double dog dare going in because it had SIX separate incidents like within a week of children sticking their tongues to metal poles. Some had to be rescued by teachers, who loosen the tongue by pouring water over it, but others ripped their tongue off the pole by themselves which pulls off a good piece of tongue when you do it and create a nasty and painful sore. So don’t do this.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cleaning women at work left the vacuum out of place in our back storage room. I didn't notice it because the light was off - walked in, and tripped over it - fell down sitting onto a step stool. Or so I thought I was going to land on it in a seated position. Nope. Got my left leg totally twisted around the stool in the most amazingly weird way and pulled every single muscle, tendon, joint possible in the entire leg out of whack to the point where the whole leg, ankle and foot were black, blue, yellow and green for weeks and I could NOT walk on it at all. Was out of work for a month. I mean, wth?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
This was just last week!

It was day three of my new job. They told me that the operators would take me out to show me where and how they collect their water samples. We went to two locations: one maybe 50 yards into a wooded patch and another one right on the side of the road, off a bridge. We get our samples and go back to the lab to set them up. Once inside, I feel this weird sensation under my left armpit. I though a fire ant was biting me, so I kind of flapped my shirt sleeve, and a LIVE BEE flew out! I had had a bee in my shirt for more than 20 minutes, as I'm assuming it got in there when we were in the woods. Fortunately I'm not allergic, but it was a complete "wtf, did that really just happen?" moment!

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thought you all might get a kick out of this story recently in our local paper. A local elementary had apparently a bad case of double dog dare going in because it had SIX separate incidents like within a week of children sticking their tongues to metal poles. Some had to be rescued by teachers, who loosen the tongue by pouring water over it, but others ripped their tongue off the pole by themselves which pulls off a good piece of tongue when you do it and create a nasty and painful sore. So don’t do this.
I remember hearing the exact same story 30 years ago!!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember hearing the exact same story 30 years ago!!!
And forty and fifty and sixty years ago. Cold climate kids have been sticking their tongues to metal poles as long as there have been metal poles around. I think it was a weekly event at least at my grade school and there were always nuns running out with glasses of water. You would think after you just saw a kid stick you wouldn’t try it but it doesn’t seem to work that way.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was taught at a young age that if I ever got stuck to a pole, to make a lot of spit and that should get you unstuck. I pulled my lips off on popsicles a few times before I learned that! But then if it's really cold that might not work on a metal pole. But it does work on popsicles ;).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I was taught at a young age that if I ever got stuck to a pole, to make a lot of spit and that should get you unstuck. I pulled my lips off on popsicles a few times before I learned that! But then if it's really cold that might not work on a metal pole. But it does work on popsicles ;).
I don’t think it does and you could risk getting your lips stuck to the pole as well. It only takes a fraction of a second to get stuck and even just barely touching the very tip of your tongue will cause you to be instantly stuck. How do I know? Because us idiot children would often stand around and watch as someone tried it. There wasn’t much to do on the playground in winter and entertainment was entertainment.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This one comes to mind:
When I was a kid, we had a swing set in the backyard. I was on the swing and my mother was pushing me. I kept saying higher! higher! and she complied. Somewhere I started to wonder what it would be like if I was swinging without holding on. Well, I found out. I flew off the swing and hit the ground hard, knocked the wind out of myself. My mother rushed me to the emergency room, but I was fine. However, she would never push me again, and she wouldn't push my poor younger sister either who had nothing to do with my stupidity.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am farsighted in one eye and nearsighted in my other, so my depth perception is pretty bad. I have it my head more times than I can remember. Once, when I was substitute teaching, I dropped a piece of chalk while the students were at lunch. I bent to pick it up and bashed my head so badly that I instantly felt nauseated. I had given myself a moderate concussion. A much more recent time was just a few months ago. Our kitchen cabinets never stayed closed. I even had magnets on them to try to keep them shut. Anyway, I dropped something and bent over just as the bottom cabinet door opened, giving myself a mild concussion. Funny thing is that I had already decided to redo the cabinet doors and change all the hardware, including the hinges. Everything was purchased and waiting for me. I think my cabinets knew it and were angry. Haha! The next day, I started on the cabinets.

The craziest way I have injured myself all occurred in a single day. My now ex-husband and I were replacing the hot water tank at our old house. When we got home with the new one, I had to pee, so I started running through the breezeway because he had said he has to pee too and I was going to be the first there. He grabbed me by the belt loop of my jeans. It broke and I went falling face-first into the concrete slab in front of the door. I slid across it on my face and hit my head on the door pretty hard. Then, while we were carrying out the old tank, I was struggling to hold my end, leading to it falling on my right leg and leaving a substantial bruise on my thigh. Then, while we were putting in the new tank, I went to rest up against something, resting my head in my hand and using my elbow to hold me up. Well, it was some live wire--why and how, I do not know--and electrocuted myself, knocking me down a few feet away from where I had been standing. My teeth hurt! Then, later that night, my now ex-husband said something to me as I was opening a door, causing me to bash the right side of my face, leaving a bruise.

If you lost count, it is a scrape on my left cheek and forehead, a bump on the top of my head, a badly bruised right thigh, an electrocuted left elbow, and a line bruise on my right cheek and browbone. It is likely my butt hurt from the fall, but everything else hurt too much to notice.

Oh! And when I was young, I busted my chin open playing ring around the rosy with my cousins and sisters. Three stitches and a hairline fracture were the results.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, let's see....

1) I have 2 scars on my knee because as I was running for the bus after school and my schoolbag strap (had a hook on the end) hooked into my boot (at my backside) and I went down knee first because I could not extend my leg. I have 2 scars because it happened twice in the same week! The first time as I hobbled onto the bus, the driver was concerned and asked if I was OK...The second time, as I hobbled into the bus, she was laughing at me!

2) Gave myself a black eye running into a tree.

3) Broke my nose playing basket ball at school (accidental head butt), only to get punched in the face by my sister (by accident) 2 days later.

4) Dislocated my wrist playing tag. I got to the "safe zone" and had my hands on the wall when the person chasing me kept going and rammed me into the wall. So, pop goes the wrist!

5) Broke my baby toe stubbing it on the coffee table.

6) Separated/shifted my sternum....wearing my wedding dress. It was a corset. Apparently, I tied it too tight and it slowly shifted my sternum (breast bone) as the night went on. Took over 6 months for me to get it back in place.

7) Fell down the stairs because my high heel got stuck in a crack. I was also carrying 3 glass teapots....I saved the teapots...my leg...not so much. It was so badly bruised I couldn't walk right for almost 2 weeks.

That's what pops into my head at the moment...but I will leave you with one more....

8) Dislocated my knee because I got run over by a mentally disabled kid in an electric wheelchair.........mull that on over! LOL!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got one more...

I got a pretty bad concussion because my cousin threw a mitten full of rocks at me, and I got it in the side of the head. According to her it was my fault. I was supposed to catch it, even though I did not get any warning...stupid cousin.
In case your wondering why she had a mitten full of rocks, we were hiking on a cold fall day, but we were also collecting "cool" rocks along the way.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a bad back since high school because I injured it during track practice. I was a shot put and discus thrower and one day I saw a hole full of water and I said to my teammates, "what would happen if I threw the discus in the hole?" and I did. I must have hit something in the hole because the sprinklers on the JV football field went off. The field got flooded, and then my teammates and I went mud sliding. I slipped and landed on my back at some point but didn't feel the effect until after the adrenaline wore off and I could barely walk.

All other back injuries have happened because of weird things happening. Once I was picking up a dead bug on the floor to throw it away and my back went out. Another time when I was living with my parents, I was on the toilet and when I stood up, it went out and I basically collapsed half into the tub with my bare butt facing the door. My parents' cat (who has a huge attachment to me) was crying at the door because I had actually shut the door completely unlike other times. Somehow he got the door open and I was very motivated to get up because I didn't want anyone to catch me with my pants down.