Question of the Day, Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...I was talking with a friend earlier, and recounted an incident that led to today's question...

What is the dumbest way you have ever been injured?

I have to give you two answers, because I can't decide which one is the dumbest.

#1 I was getting in the car, on the driver's side, and stopped to talk with a neighbor, one foot in and one still on the ground. As I was just starting to lower into the car, my ex got in on the other side, rocking the car and throwing me off-balance. I actually slammed the car door on my own throat Took the better part of 30 minutes to convince the ER team that I wasn't a battered woman! I think the fact that I was laughing like a hyena helped convince them.

#2 At the time, we had a wonderful German shepherd (she adored my cats) named Lady. I took her for a run one night, on a route that took us down a fairly gentle hill. For some reason, Lady stopped dead in the middle of the road, and I tripped over her, going airborne! I didn't stop until I ran out of leash, and landed on my right hand, crushing the first knuckle of my index finger! Imagine telling the doctor, "I ran out of leash!" Lady, I am happy to report, was NOT injured in the slightest.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
SO...I was talking with a friend earlier, and recounted an incident that led to today's question...

I have to give you two answers, because I can't decide which one is the dumbest.

#1 I was getting in the car, on the driver's side, and stopped to talk with a neighbor, one foot in and one still on the ground. As I was just starting to lower into the car, my ex got in on the other side, rocking the car and throwing me off-balance. I actually slammed the car door on my own throat Took the better part of 30 minutes to convince the ER team that I wasn't a battered woman! I think the fact that I was laughing like a hyena helped convince them.

#2 At the time, we had a wonderful German shepherd (she adored my cats) named Lady. I took her for a run one night, on a route that took us down a fairly gentle hill. For some reason, Lady stopped dead in the middle of the road, and I tripped over her, going airborne! I didn't stop until I ran out of leash, and landed on my right hand, crushing the first knuckle of my index finger! Imagine telling the doctor, "I ran out of leash!" Lady, I am happy to report, was NOT injured in the slightest.
I am so sorry, but while reading this I was fighting too hard not to laugh. My bad.

The dumbest way I had been injured was when I was much younger.

I stapled my own finger.

Don't laugh! :)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to say :think:

When I was four, a workman improperly installed a new window. Afterwards, I was playing underneath it, and the next thing I knew, the window was on top of me. I don't remember much of what happened next (although I do know Mom rushed me to the hospital.) I choose to chalk that up to how young I was, rather than the injury.

When I was twelve, my brother managed to slam a sliding glass door on one of my fingers. The skin under the nail ultimately turned various shades of purple-at one point, there was a stack of different purples.

Also when I was twelve, my dad built a ramp and put it at the bottom of the hill behind our house. My brothers and I jumped our bikes off of it, and of course I was the one who crashed :rolleyes2:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both when I was a kid:
When I was around 5, I decided that having my uncle's wild and untrained Irish Setter pull me around the block on rollerskates would be fun. It was not.

When I was around 11, my kitten was in heat (long waiting list at the vet) and my family was catsitting 2 neutered males. I thought visiting them might take her mind off all the yowling. Well, one of the males wasn't happy to see her and attacked my legs. I was shredded. I didn't hold it against him though.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was running for a bus on the other side of the road, and walked out in front of a taxi :doh: Totally my fault. I ended up with a fractured toe where the taxi wheel went over my foot. The worst part was this was right outside a hospital. They could have literally brought a wheelchair or crutches out for me (which would have been quicker), but I had to wait for an ambulance to take me the long way round to the minor injuries unit entrance :paperbag:

I vaguely remember running into a desk when I was 3. That resulted in stitches in my head.

I'm sure there are more (I'm very accident prone), but those are the ones that stick out to me.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was 19, I fell off a motorcycle. My bf was driving and it was a Harley Davidson with a
"Queen", seat meaning the passenger sat above the driver. He and his .best friend bought the
same bikes but in different colors. We were riding in a park, not going fast at all but he hit a bump
and I went flying off. Thank goodness I was wearing a helmet, Here comes the dumb part:I
wearing very short shorts, a backless top that tied at the waist, and remember those Dr. Scholls
sandals that were wooden and had a leather strap around the top? Soooo dumb. If you're going
to ride a mc, wear the proper clothing!! One of my roomates, Deb, had to clean the cinders out
of my back. I stood in the shower while she gently cleansed me, god, it hurt so badly. My foot
was all torn up as well. I ran into my b.i.l. to be a few days later. I asked him to NOT tell Nicole
but he blabbed anyway and she told mom and dad. They were livid because Nicole had done
the same thing about 4 years earlier and hey asked us not to ride on them.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
An iron fell on my forehead...

Not an anvil... an iron
1579081213387.jpeg

Yes... an iron fell on my head.
It was on the middle shelf of on of those cheap plastic shelving units for laundry rooms and such...
The kitty litter box was on the bottom of said shelving unit...
You get the picture?
Me, emptying cat box, and smack! iron on the forehead.
It gave me a nice Y indentation.

After I fought the dizzies and the dry heaves, I drove myself about 15 miles to the nearest clinic.
I remember telling the doc who stitched me up, "Please do a nice job. I'm getting married in 6 weeks!"

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've hurt myself in so many spectacularly stupid ways that I've lost count. One that stands out is knocking myself out cold when the horse I was riding fell over. I was riding a young horse and was trying to hold him back from the older, more experienced horses because he was getting too excited. There was a field known as The Long Barrow, a long slope down, stream at the bottom and then long slope back up the other side. We were supposed to walk down, wade the stream and then canter up, but he thought it would be better to walk down and try and leap across the stream.

:doh:

I felt him lurch forward, so I probably would have been able to stay on and get him under control again eventually if the other side of the stream hadn't been so muddy. He slipped, went down on his knees and I came off over the top and landed on my head. Luckily he was fine and the other riders managed to catch him. I woke up in casualty, but I got over it pretty quickly. The worst accident I ever saw happened to a friend of mine in the same field. The horse bolted, tripped and then stood on her head when he tried to get up again.

:eek:

She took a long time to recover from that. Don't ride without a safety helmet people, horses are excitable creatures.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will relate another horse story.
A friend of mine breaks and trains horses for barrel racing and other horse fun things and I was driving past her place and saw her running a new horse up and down the fence next to the road getting it used to traffic. I pulled up and she said..you got to try this horse..he is so quick!!
So I climbed on expecting a bit of fun and at that moment my phone started ringing in my pocket.
Yes that horse was quick all right. Did about 4 miles in spins and buck jumps in one spot in a split second.
Somehow we connected heads and I had a split lip..blood nose and fur burn all down one side of my face.
Looked up after my face plant on the ground and the horse was pushing the phone around on the ground with his nose while it was still ringing.
My friend was laughing so hard ..she said she had never seen arms and legs go so many directions at once.
Norachan Norachan I have been caught out so many times when a horse has suddenly decided to jump instead walking over or through something I have lost count and always happens when you are turned around talking to someone and not planted in the saddle and paying attention..:doh2:

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel REALLY bad, I have eperienced most of all that happened above, I must be REALLY accident prone! :paperbag: I was talking to my husband, getting into a low slung sports car and somehow (don't ask me how!) I slammed the door on my face before I was in. The ONLY black eyes I ever have had! (yes, two from hitting the bridge of my nose). My husband absolutely refused to go anywhere with me, because he could hear people whispering about how I might have got them. I, too, stapled my finger to the sack I was handing a customer, and had to yell at her to stop trying to leave with the sack. I stapled through my nail and a coworker had to unbend the ends with a needlenose pliers. I was trimming brush, on a hill, with a hedge trimmer, slipped and cut all four fingers to the bone. The blood was horrible, a trail to the house and my jeans were soaked. Steri strips (Like stitches you can apply yourself, we used them all the time for skin tears at work, everyone should have them at home)) and butterfly bandages are wonderful, I had some nerve damage that made me have a problem closing my fist completely, but with my own PT I got over it. The worst was when I was carrying some huge box that I couldn't see around down the driveway. Seriously, DON"T DO THIS AT HOME! Didn't see and tripped over a coiled hose and fell over a two foot embankement (that was waiting to have a fence erected along it) right onto a one inch pipe sticking out of the ground from a well that was abandoned. I landed on the outside middle of my thigh, and turned black and blue from my knee up and onto my buttocks, so impressive I took a picture of later. The worrying thing is I had a lump the size of a quarter that lasted a year, being a nurse I really thought it was an abscess that developed and worried about the treatment I KNEW would be required. It caused a lot of sleepless nights. Of course being a nurse I never went to a Dr. on any of the above. It's a miracle I got to be this age!

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

9 years ago , when i was 7 it was raining , and me and my sister were dancing , then i slipped , fell on my arm and broke it .

I have a dog named sally . She likes to chase cars . She dosn't like other people or cats ( but she's getting used to my cats) .
Me and my brother often take her for walks . Sally ,loves to tug on the lead , and she tugged so hard , i ended up falling over and she kept running , pulling me accross the ground , and i cut my hand on her lead trying to stop her! ( bear in mind it was like 4 degrees and muddy and raining )

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 15 or 16, and working at a garage. We were installing a 'short block' in a customer's car- it consists of the engine block, crankshaft, pistons, and camshaft, but no cylinder head or other parts- and I was in the process of removing the flywheel housing. There were 2 bolts on the inside, and the wrench slipped off of one of them. The machined edge of the housing sliced my left thumb down to the bone, and had it not been my blood, the sight would have been spectacular. I still carry an L-shaped scar about 1 1/2 inch-long.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reupholstering a chair using a magnetic tack hammer. It allows you to nail hands free since the tack stays on the hammer on its own. So I was holding the fabric to the chair, swung the hammer, missed my mark and nailed my thumb to the chair. It was easy to pull my thumb loose from the chair, but not easy to pull the tack back out thru my thumb with the pliers . Afterwards I had lay on the floor for a while till my dizziness passed.

I also dislocated my elbow just by bending over and very gently setting down a heavy box.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve been lucky to be pretty injury free, but one of my minor injuries was many years ago and involved my little black long-haired kitty named Teddy Bear. Teddy loved to be chased so she would race around the house and I’d run after her. I was usually barefoot.

One time she darted into the bathroom with me in hot pursuit, but the door was only partially open. As I tried to follow her, I caught my little toe on the edge of the door. I hopped around the room, holding my foot and swearing. When looked down at my foot, I saw my toe at an angle that toes are not supposed to go (I have a picture if you’d like to see it :lol: ).

And Teddy was clearly annoyed that I had stopped the game. She came out of the bathroom and gave me this look that said, “Hey, we weren’t done! Get over it and focus here, woman!”