Question Of The Day, Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We work with a SCHIP program so we see all kinds of names. There was one family with like 10 kids and they ALL had the same first name with a number after it. We always wondered if they just called them by theur number. "Hey 6 did you take out the trash yet?'

Then there are people who give boys names like Adonis and Hercules. We've seen many of both. You're kind of setting the bar high for that kid. Just saying.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend in high school had a lost in translation name, Dung (along the lines of yoo-ng in English). She had it legally changed when she turned 18 because she got no call backs on job applications.
My aunt is named Ledung and it is pronounced lee-yoo-ng. My brother-in-law has a family member named Summer Nguyen that I find hilarious. I also went to school with a girl named Aspen Forrest.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a friend many years ago named Shirley Gurley. And a doctor named Dr. Payne.

When I was doing genealogy, I found a distant relation of a couple of hundred years ago named Mourning Medley. What a name!

Ima Hogg was a real person. She was a society person and philanthropist.
Ima Hogg - Wikipedia

Last edited:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to school with a boy named Forest Fox, yes really!

My friend's husband's name is John. They wanted to name the first baby after him but...... the baby was a girl. They made up an unusual but I think very pretty name for her, Johnda.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom knew someone named Crystal Ball. And a family I grew up with named all (I think 5 or 6) their kids Chris names: Christine, Christopher, Christian, etc. Can't holler for Chris at their house :D. Oh---and their last name was Christopherson!
Didn't George Foreman name all of his sons 'George'?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the most unusual was Galadriel.....for a girl :doh:
I seem to have missed something; why would Galadriel be a boy's name? So far as I know it comes from Lord of the Rings, where Galadriel is the Elven Queen.

Ima Hogg was a real person. She was a society person and philanthropist.
Ima Hogg - Wikipedia
I don't doubt it. I also don't doubt that she had a sister named Ura, or that their father was a politician with a sadistic sense of humor.

So far no one has mentioned the fictional character Corky Sherwood Forrest from "Murphy Brown." In that case, of course, it was pretty much her own doing - Corky is likely a nickname, and she didn't have to keep her maiden name (Sherwood) as a middle name after marrying a man named Forrest.

Also, when I was in my twenties I babysat a little girl named Elisha, pronounced ə-lee-shə. Her mother made it up, apparently with no idea that Elisha was an Old Testament prophet and is a boy's name, or that she could have named her daughter Alicia and it would have been pronounced the same way as the name she'd made up. She got quite incensed when pediatrician's offices assumed that she was bringing in a boy, based on the baby's name, or when a nurse would say "The doctor will see Elisha now," pronouncing it in the normal manner. The poor child must have gone through hell when she reached school age.

And then there was my classmate whose first name was Royal. That's probably why he was such a bully - to forestall being bullied over his name.

I know a woman named Brenda who named her daughter Brande and her son Brendan. (The other daughter is Melissa, because she couldn't find another anagram.)

Margret

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, there are Will and Jada Smith, who named their kids Willow and Jaden :D. Fine names on their own, an interesting twist on the usual "junior" situation.
I also don't doubt that she had a sister named Ura,
In the Wikipedia article it says that this was a persistent rumor, but in reality she had only brothers. Perhaps her dad would have named a girl that, no way to know. He clearly had something going on there.

My grandma and grandpa worked it out that he got to name the girls and she got to name the boys. My grandpa had a dramatic streak and gave his daughters the middle names of Gay and Delight :/. At least their first names are fairly average!
My friend's husband's name is John. They wanted to name the first baby after him but...... the baby was a girl. They made up an unusual but I think very pretty name for her, Johnda.
I know someone named Johna. She has the same story.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ima was named after a character in a poem. The name itself was not uncommon in the late 19th Century, but evidently her father never made the connection with her last name. An uncle did and tried to stop it, but he was too late. She had already been christened. It was the bane of her existence all her life.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I seem to have missed something; why would Galadriel be a boy's name? So far as I know it comes from Lord of the Rings, where Galadriel is the Elven Queen.
:paperbag: :oops:
Ok, full disclosure here. I never really managed to get into the LOTR books. My info about the name was from an (evidently misremembered) comment from my dad. Either that, or I've somehow misremembered the name.

Nothing to add except :doh2::doh::paperbag::footinmouth:

Thanks for the correction, Margret :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding unusual spellings of common names, um, I seem to resemble that remark.

Shortly before my mother got pregnant with me, my maternal grandmother, Margaret, died. My mother had so been looking forward to putting her first (and eventually only) granddaughter into her mother's arms, and she couldn't, so she decided to name me for her mother instead. But then she got to thinking, "Wait a minute! If I name her after the dead grandmother I have to name her after the living grandmother as well, so the living grandmother won't feel slighted." Well enough, but my paternal grandmother was named Ida Wilhelmina, and my mother, bless her heart, was unwilling to saddle me with either of those names. So she thought about it for a bit and decided to give me the middle name of Minette, as a diminutive of Wilhelmina. But then she thought, "Wait a minute! If I change the living grandmother's name I have to change the dead grandmother's name, too, so the living grandmother won't feel slighted." Hence the unusual spelling of Margret (although I'm told that the original Scandinavian version of Margret is also lacking a second "a").

And then one summer when I was a teenager we went to visit Great Aunt Grace (for whom my mother was named) and Great Aunt Minnie, at their raisin farm (vineyard?) near Fresno. One morning I was rummaging through the book shelves looking for something to read and I happened upon a book that had Aunt Minnie's name written inside the front cover - Minetta. I took the book to my mother, who took one look at it and said, "Oh, is that where I got it from? For heaven's sake don't tell your grandmother!"

"I wouldn't think of it," I said, and I never did.

That was the same trip when I laid on the lawn for an hour or so early one morning, watching a spider weave a new web from scratch on a bush. Fascinating.

Margret

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
There is family where I live that had 6 boys and their last name is Butt. It is so easy to change your name, why not do it? The boys went through so much grief growing up.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where I teach we currently have a family that names their children with a combination of a name and a roman numeral. (Ex. Gretchen XVI - not their real name). My son's pediatrician was in an office that was next to a plastic surgeon named Dr. Doctor.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frank Zappa's other kids are named Ahmet Emuukha Rodan (which at least sounds ethnic instead of just weird) and Diva Muffin (some sources say her full name is Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen, but that's not on Wikipedia so idk). They get relatively less attention than Moon Unit and Dweezil though, even though Dweezil is a nickname (his full given name is Ian Donald Calvin Euclid).

Penn Gillette's daughter's name is Moxie Crimefighter, and his son's name is Zolten. Nic Cage's son's name is Kal-El. Jason Lee's son is named Pilot Inspektor (he also has a daughter named Casper, which is an average name but not usually for girls). John Mellencamp has a son named Speck Wildhorse.

I'm not even sure celebrity kids' names should count, lol.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother went to school with a boy whose names were all the same thing. I won't share his name; but lets say his name was David because it was a common male name. So his name was literally David David David. Or John John John. You get the point.