Question Of The Day, Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, guys, I'm in the throws of a tummy virus, but I just HAD to jump on here to ask you this:

What is the funniest name you've ever heard used in real life?

Actually, the very funniest one I've ever heard I can't even post here. If you want to know, PM me. It is a perfectly innocuous name in their Asian country, but here? Not so much.

HOWEVER, possibly the second-funniest are actually three names. I used to work in a medical lab, and a set of siblings got regular tests for some genetic issues. Their names? Stoney, Smokey and Maryjane Hemphill. WHAT WERE THEIR PARENTS THINKING? Or doing, for that matter!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin, sorry to say, couldn't think what to name her son, so for the first several years of his life his name was "Baby Boy."

Also, my dad told me that many years ago there was a politician whose last name was Hogg, and he named his daughters Ima and Ura. I certainly hope that it did his political career no good - I certainly wouldn't vote for anyone who would openly abuse his children that way!

Margret

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A friend in high school had a lost in translation name, Dung (along the lines of yoo-ng in English). She had it legally changed when she turned 18 because she got no call backs on job applications.

My family has some interesting names in it. Eureka for a boy and Y for a girl being the more unique. And yes, just the letter Y and nothing else. Her and her siblings all had one or two letter names so their names couldn't be shortened is the family legend.

She got arrested in the 1930s because she was pulled over driving for some reason. The police asked her her name and she responded "Y" which they took as her being a smartass saying "why?" You can imagine where if went from there. It eventually got straightened out after she spent a night in jail.

Not really a funny name but years ago I knew two little boys who were best friends named Forrest and Blaze. That one always cracked me up because of the coincidence.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I taught 7th and 8th grade in the late ‘70s and early 80’s and one of my students was named after his father, Opal. The kid insisted on being called Junior because otherwise, he was teased unmercifully. I usually wouldn’t call the kids by nicknames unless they were common shortened versions of their names (Sue for Susan, Chuck for Charles, etc.), but I made an exception for Junior. :) I had one kid named Roger who wanted to be called Peanut. No.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work for the refugee board in Belgium.
Almost 10 years ago we were informed about an asylum application from a lady whose baby girl was named THALYS, after the high speed train from Paris (France) to Brussels (Belgium). Mom gave birth on the train about 15 minutes before arrival in Brussels. Her daughter Thalys was gifted free Thalys train tickets for life.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a kid in my school (he is actually in my yearbook so I know it wasn't apocryphal or a nickname) whose name was Major Payne. He wasn't bullied---he owned that name! I wonder what he's doing now. I can't imagine many careers that would be good for. If he joined the military like his dad he could attain the rank of Major and then be Major Major Payne. . .

I know a family who named all their kids place names. Nevada, Montana, Dallas, Denver, etc.

As for nicknames, my mom grew up with a guy they called Barrel, because he was built like one, plus he was a junior and his name was something like Marion or Carroll that he didn't really like. So he was Barrel. But then when he had kids he named his son Beryl!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What are parents thinking when they name their offspring? My DH knew a girl named Taffy Apple. I had a co-worker whose husband was named Dick Ake and, last but not least, was told there was a student named April Showers but not sure if someone made that up or it was true.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a kid in my school (he is actually in my yearbook so I know it wasn't apocryphal or a nickname) whose name was Major Payne. He wasn't bullied---he owned that name! I wonder what he's doing now. I can't imagine many careers that would be good for. If he joined the military like his dad he could attain the rank of Major and then be Major Major Payne. . .

I know a family who named all their kids place names. Nevada, Montana, Dallas, Denver, etc.

As for nicknames, my mom grew up with a guy they called Barrel, because he was built like one, plus he was a junior and his name was something like Marion or Carroll that he didn't really like. So he was Barrel. But then when he had kids he named his son Beryl!
Maybe they read 'Catch 22'- Major Major Major.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night on the news they had a guy named Mads Andenas. I guess it's a Norwegian name so it's kinda rude to say it's weird. We still have some second-generation Norwegians around here, and he looked like he's in his 80s so probably he's one of them. But it's pronounced like Mods Oddness, which certainly sounds weird to my ears! For his sake I hope he grew up in an area with a lot of Norwegians.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
How could I forget? There was a family in the town where I grew up whose last name was Trees. The daughter, who was a year behind me in school, was Merry...middle initial C. Guess what the ‘C’ stood for! She had two older brothers, Douglas and Jack with middle names Fir and Pine respectively.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the most unusual was Galadriel.....for a girl :doh: It got shortened to Gala most of the time. I have a feeling that there was a Hero at that school too (as in Shakespere's Much Ado About Nothing). Iphigenia was on the unusual side too...though maybe more so then than now.

Honeysuckle Weeks was another odd one (this was back when she was a child actor on something Dad was working on). He ran across tons of odd/bizarre/unusual names in his line of work :lol:

I can't think of more right now, but there were many more. We had a very broad ranging group of friends/acquaintances when I was growing up.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was young there was a family in our church with last name Corn. They named their daughter Candy.

There was also a family in town who had 7 or 8 kids and and they named them all x-onnie - Lonnie, Monnie,etc. I don't remember them all now. Not funny by themselves but interesting all together.

I don't get why parents name their kids "weird" names - don't they think how it will look on a college or job application? Not to mention they may be bullied in school.