Question of the Day, Wednesday, April 10, 2024

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first that I remember anyway was Polly.She was a beautiful silvery gray girl.Don't remember what happened to her but I was maybe 5 at the time,we lived in Glens Falls. I used to dress her up in doll clothes and up and down the sidewalk we'd go with her in my doll carriage.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first cat was Lady, who was mostly white with a few splotches of black and dark orange/brown, and her tail was alternating rings of those black and brown colors.

It was a little after Thanksgiving, and I was walking home from school, and I literally saw some people driving on the street throw this cat out of their car and drive off. So, she started following me, then I started carrying her, promising her that there was lots of leftover turkey that she could have when we got to the house.

Well, I got home and asked my mom if we could keep her, and my mom said that we'd have to wait till Dad came home from work, because he didn't like cats. So this cat sat at the foot of the driveway and meowed for the whole hour between when I got home from school and Dad got home from work. Dad always parked on the street in front of the house, and he came home, picked the cat up and tucked it under his coat and brought her into the house. (Busted! So much for that "doesn't like cats" malarkey). Lady did not get spayed (that really didn't seem to be a done thing, for the most part, back then ... this is just over 50 years ago), and had a few litters but only one survivor, a longhaired calico. Lady (for a time went by Mama Cat after the one survivor was born--we kept the kitten, too) was a short hair.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My first was Fred. The nextdoor neighbours allowed their cats to breed, and I won't say what they did with unwanted kittens. Suffice to say that at 8 years old I was there, appalled, and grabbed one, brought him home and hid him in a cupboard while I begged my mother to let me keep him.
He was a wonderful guy. He would lie on top of the hot water system on the verandah. I would walk past and move my mouth as though meowing at him. He always responded. He would slide a leg under the lounge room door and meow to be let in.. then he realised that if he tweaked it the right way, he could open it. . He used to groom Jasper the corgi, then he'd sink his teeth in.. not too badly. There was no way Jasper was going to complain as he loved being groomed. Besides, Fred ruled the house.

It's scary for me to say that this photo is nearly 60 years old!!

fred and jasper.jpg

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first cat was a family cat. A big male applehead Siamese named Marco Polo. But the first cat that I personally owned at 10yo was a female gray tabby I named Dominique. A few years after she died I got a female tuxedo I named Magic. It just spiraled from there.