Question of the Day: Thursday March 30, 2023

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What piece of advice would you give to people younger than you?

My advice would be college isn't for everyone and there is a lot of money to be made as a tradesperson. If you don't feel ready for college or you don't know what you want to pursue, it's okay to take a break and work. There's no point of taking on a huge financial burden if you don't have some sort of idea of what you want out of life.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that I learned a long, long time ago: If you can build something or fix something, you will never want for work. Just ask any plumber, electrician, carpenter, or machinist. And no college debt, either.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a lot of respect for people who put themselves through college. However, I tried college, and it was just not for me. I already had 5 years of wide range experience at my work, so I decided to stick with my mentors, learn my trade, and keep at it. I'm coming up on 26 years in the same field of work and I'm not quite 40, so that's something I think.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Start saving for your retirement, and have an emergency fund, even if it's only $20. You don't have to have the best of anything, either--store brands are often as good, if not better than name brands (except mayonnaise, LOL). Simple, cheap meals are great and satisfying--just try to make them nutritious as possible. Women, take care of your skin in your teens and twenties. You don't need an expensive skincare regimen. Eating healthy, drinking lots of water, getting enough sleep and not smoking or being out in the sun too much is good for your skin.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree, don't spend all your money in the bars. Also pay off your house as soon as you can, even if it means buying old junkers and fixing them up after work. It's how we did it and the best thing we ever did! We have never lost money in real estate! With Youtube now, you have no excuse!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be careful of impulse spending. When you think you just have to have something that is not a true necessity give it a little time at least a few days. Often that is all it takes to realize you don't have to have it and it really isn't worth the money.