Question of the Day - Thursday April 11, 2024

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is my late great, great grandma's birthday. She died 20 years ago at the age of 106 when I was 18 and I remember realizing that my great, great grandma was my grandma's grandma, so that leads to today's question:

Did you know any of your great or great, great grandparents? Do you have any living grandparents?

I met all of my great grandmas but only remember 2 of them because they died when I was 9 and 22. The other 2 died when I was under 3. I met only one of my great grandpas though. Right now, my only living grandparent is my dad's mom (also the one who's grandma died when I was 18). My dad's dad died in 2021 and my mom's parents died in 2013 and 2019.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. My great grandfather died before my mother was even born. My great grandmother was much younger than him and died when my mother was small. I never even knew my grandmother, she died when I was a baby (not young, either - she was 45 when she had my mother). My grandfather died when I was seven or so. Only met him once, I was a bit scared of him. My father was adopted, he didn't know his family at all. Given my mother is 92, it's no surprise there are no older generations around!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There was a massive age gap in the families of both my parents between themselves and older siblings. My point...they were born to parents who themselves were older. My parents married later and did not have me for 10 years, so I was born to older parents. My dad's parents were gone long before I was born and I saw my mom's once as a 5 year old or so and did not have much of a connection to them. They were all out of state as well.

So the short answer is nope, not a clue.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I knew my Dad's parents and my Mom's Mom growing up and well into my adulthood. My Mom's Dad passed when she was a teenager.

All the Great/Great Great grandparents were gone long before I was born.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never met any Great Granparent. All but one died before I was born. Two Grandparents died before I was born. I was 10 when my Mother's Father died. I was 29 when my Father's mother died. The most that I have learned about my Great Grandparents has come from research on Ancestry.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
knew great, great GPS on my mom's side, GP as well, they all emigrated from Eastern Europe

only knew my GPS on my dad's side, gram England, grandpa Germany

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never knew any of my great grandparents. All 4 grandparents have been dead for several decades.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I knew my Great Grandmother on my Dad's side. She passed when I was 12, so I remember her well. She was such a kind woman. As for Grandparents, at this point I only have one left, but I knew all of them. They started passing away well into my late teens/young adulthood. My Grandmother on my Mom's side, is the last living, she's 92, and despite her failing health, is still quite the little spitfire.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only knew my paternal grandmother. She was born in 1889, while my paternal grandfather was born in 1884, and died two years before I was born. Both of my maternal grandparents were gone by the time I came around.

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
All my grandparents are living (Im still in the teen years), and my great grandmother recently passed.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew my great-grandmother on my mother’s father’s side. She was 98/99 when she passed and I was about 9. Most of my other great-grandparents had been immigrants who worked in factories and cotton mills and a number had lung issues as a result. I only had one set of great-great grandparents enter the US. That grandfather’s side settled in Nebraska; far from the rest of my ancestors. Im not sure when they passed; but they would have been the only ones I could have had the potential to meet.

My last living grandparent passed last summer at the age of 104 1/2. Its still hard to believe she’s gone.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met one great grandmother for sure. I don't think any others, or if I did I was just a baby.

No living grandparents.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I new my great grandfather, Grandpa Ed.

No living grandparents. I met them all, but I don't remember my maternal grandmother because she died when I was 4.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met one great-grandmother once when I was very young and she was very old, there's a picture but I don't remember. But nobody reproduced young in my family and my mom is the youngest so her parents were close to 40 when she was born, so all of my great-grandparents were gone before I could really remember them.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately no.....they were all gone before I was born from both sides of the family.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There was a massive age gap in the families of both my parents between themselves and older siblings. My point...they were born to parents who themselves were older. My parents married later and did not have me for 10 years, so I was born to older parents. My dad's parents were gone long before I was born and I saw my mom's once as a 5 year old or so and did not have much of a connection to them. They were all out of state as well.

So the short answer is nope, not a clue.
That sounds like my family. I met my paternal grandmother once, when I was four, then she died a couple of years later. I never met my maternal grandmother. Mom was from England, and her mom didn't travel, and neither did we.