Question Of The Day - Thursday 21 Feb

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We were invited to Thanksgiving at the home of one of my hubby's relatives. I love to bake and made a double chocolate chip bundt cake. When it was time to take the cake out of the bundt pan it stuck to the pan and came out in pieces. :oops:
That's an easy fix. Trifle bowl (or just a large bowl)- add cake chunks, pudding, whipped cream and some simple garnishes and no one is the wiser. :thumbsup:
I did that same thing with a two-layer pineapple upside down cake. When the top layer broke apart, I made Pineapple Trifle. Nobody knew that it really was supposed to be a cake. And it was pretty darn good.

I told one of my GFs about it one time. She asked me how I made the trifle. And I said, "Well, first you have to screw up a pineapple upside down cake!"

A true cooking disaster was when I was making chicken and dumplings, and used confectioners' sugar for the dumplings instead of flour. It was ugly and we ended up at McD's that night for dinner.

I tried making Czechoslovakian Cabbage Soup one day (recipe was from Country, I think). Oh dear lord, it was awful stuff. Sauerkraut and cabbage, tomato juice, etc. I forget all what went into that pot. Rick came home from work and refused to even touch the stuff; the smell throughout the house was enough to knock your socks off. I think we ended up at McD's that night, too. To this day, when I mention Czechoslovakian Cabbage Soup, both Rick and our son cringe.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I burned beans on the stove so many times that DH wanted to make it a rule that I couldn't cook them unless he was home to supervise. :crackup:

I worked at home at the time in an office upstairs, so I'd put on a pot of beans, and then go upstairs to work. I'd even set a timer but inevitably it would go off, I'd think 'I'll go down and turn off the beans as soon as I finish this paragraph' or whatever, and then of course I'd get wrapped up in what I was doing and forget about it. :paperbag:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not really cooking but it was still really funny, I was still pretty much a kid horsing around with some buddies, but the remainder of a baked ham became a football and a few beers later was thrown a little hard, the ham flew through the air, came about 1/2 inch away from busting a window out and got wedged between the wall and the couch. We were howling :flail:
I miss playing ham-ball :crazy:
Would you say it was a ham balling experience?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The worst would be the overcooked turkey for Thanksgiving. It was the first turkey I had made and we had people over for dinner. I didn't have a thermometer which I now always use when roasting poultry of any kind. I knew I had to make sure it was done because of the risk of food poisoning from undercooked poultry. There was no risk of that with this turkey.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my early years of learning to bake, I remember cakes that overflowed the pans into the oven.