Question Of The Day - Thursday 21 Feb

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

What been your worst cooking disaster ? (For example - Have you ever made something inedible ? Set something on fire ? Or made someone sick ?) :confused:

This is a tough one. I don’t remember making anything inedible, or setting anything on fire. I’ve burnt a couple of things but nothing too bad.
I haven’t made anyone sick, or at least they haven’t told me I did.
I did give myself food poisoning once though. That was when I didnt re-heat some food properly. It was just warm as I started eating it. But, I was in a rush & though it would be alright.
How wrong I was. :disappointed:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a huge salad for my husband's family picnic. It had a lot of good stuff in it but it tasted crunchy; I had forgotten to wash the romaine lettuce and there was dirt in the salad. I was mortified.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine: Forgetting I was making croutons in the oven and burning them to a crisp.

My hubby's: We decided we wanted mashed potatoes with our Sunday roast but the roast was done, so he shredded the raw potatoes before boiling them, thinking they'd get done sooner. They didn't, and we couldn't squeeze the water out so it was a starchy, gluey, yucky mess.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Muscle relaxants + boiling pasta. lol I started the water boiling and dumped in the elbow macaroni. I went into the living room, started my computer up and got sucked into Pinterest for what felt like 15 minutes, but was probably more like an hour and a half. When I finally remembered something was on the stove and ran out into the kitchen the bottom inch of pasta in the pot was black and stuck to the pan. Even after scrubbing with steel wool you could see the shape of the burned macaroni on the bottom of the pot. It was like it melded with the stainless steel.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We were invited to Thanksgiving at the home of one of my hubby's relatives. I love to bake and made a double chocolate chip bundt cake. When it was time to take the cake out of the bundt pan it stuck to the pan and came out in pieces. :oops:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH decided to make himself some ramen once. He put the pan on the stove, boiled the water, added the ramen and went into the living room. next thing we heard is

BOOM!

He was making it in a Pyrex baking dish. Those are not made to withstand sitting on a stove burner on HIGH. The thing exploded. There was glass, water and ramen everywhere. :rolleyes2:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were invited to Thanksgiving at the home of one of my hubby's relatives. I love to bake and made a double chocolate chip bundt cake. When it was time to take the cake out of the bundt pan it stuck to the pan and came out in pieces. :oops:
That's an easy fix. Trifle bowl (or just a large bowl)- add cake chunks, pudding, whipped cream and some simple garnishes and no one is the wiser. :thumbsup:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

What been your worst cooking disaster ? (For example - Have you ever made something inedible ? Set something on fire ? Or made someone sick ?) :confused:

This is a tough one. I don’t remember making anything inedible, or setting anything on fire. I’ve burnt a couple of things but nothing too bad.
I haven’t made anyone sick, or at least they haven’t told me I did.
I did give myself food poisoning once though. That was when I didnt re-heat some food properly. It was just warm as I started eating it. But, I was in a rush & though it would be alright.
How wrong I was. :disappointed:

It's not really cooking but it was still really funny, I was still pretty much a kid horsing around with some buddies, but the remainder of a baked ham became a football and a few beers later was thrown a little hard, the ham flew through the air, came about 1/2 inch away from busting a window out and got wedged between the wall and the couch. We were howling :flail:
I miss playing ham-ball :crazy:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That's an easy fix. Trifle bowl (or just a large bowl)- add cake chunks, pudding, whipped cream and some simple garnishes and no one is the wiser. :thumbsup:
You must be a mind reader. ;) My husband's cousin did something very similar. She put the pieces in a glass bowl and layered them with vanilla ice cream, adding cool whip on the top. We still joke about it to this day. :lol2:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took an off campus cooking class in high school during junior and senior years. One day in junior year, we were making something that started with a whole chicken. They tell us to wash the chicken. I had made dozens of roast chickens at this point so I rinsed mine, and got it ready. I was over by the sink when a classmate started cleaning the chicken he had. He dumped dish soap all over it and started washing the heck out of it. I was stunned. I asked him, "what the :censored: are you doing?" He said he was washing the chicken. I told him that you don't use soap on it. Just water. He tossed it behind a stove and left it there. They never did figure out where "that smell" was coming from. :lol:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took an off campus cooking class in high school during junior and senior years. One day in junior year, we were making something that started with a whole chicken. They tell us to wash the chicken. I had made dozens of roast chickens at this point so I rinsed mine, and got it ready. I was over by the sink when a classmate started cleaning the chicken he had. He dumped dish soap all over it and started washing the heck out of it. I was stunned. I asked him, "what the :censored: are you doing?" He said he was washing the chicken. I told him that you don't use soap on it. Just water. He tossed it behind a stove and left it there. They never did figure out where "that smell" was coming from. :lol:
:flail:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting a fire when frying when my in-laws were over right after we got married. :biggrin:
Similar thing happened to me. I have never deep fried anything in my life and have no idea how, but I figured I'd heat up a pot of oil. I stupidly though that the way to check how hot it was, was to flick water at it like I do when seeing how hot a pan is. Obviously the pot started on fire. I was smart enough to cover it with a lid to put out the fire, but the house smelled terrible. It was actually hard to breathe. I ended up pouring the oil off the deck (once it cooled down outside) because I didn't want to put it down the drain or have it in the house any longer.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No big disasters, but I did decide once to make a boxed brownie mix, but didn't have any eggs in the house. What difference is one egg going to make, I thought to myself.

The answer is......everything. They never cooked. They were runny, so I just kept putting them back into the oven until they were black and smoking. Fun times. I have learned a lot since then.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The two that come to mind are the potatoes that exploded in the oven. What a mess and when I tried to make risotto in the crock pot. Would have made great alternate glue.

As good a cook as I am, mistakes and accidents still happen. I've certainly had my share of burnt/overcooked/undercooked food through the years. And some Usually due to getting preoccupied.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I set the oven on fire, but technically? It wasn't my fault!

Our son had made something in the oven that bubbled over. Badly. It was a huge mess. And he never told me about it. So I was making dinner and preheated the oven. Went about my business. I came out to the kitchen and there were flames. It wasn't pretty. Got the fire extinguisher, opened the oven door and.....whoosh! with the fire extinguisher. Got it all cleaned up and, believe me, the words coming out of my mouth would have made a sailor blush.

Not-so-darling-son came home from school. When he opened the front door and took a whiff, I heard him say, "Oh sh*t!" And I was in the kitchen. He didn't know why he didn't tell me about the mess, he didn't know why he didn't clean the mess up. He didn't know why anything.

Thank god for the fire extinguisher. I keep one in the kitchen at all times. And it's not anywhere close to the stove.....because I need to be able to get to it. As Alton Brown says, "the only uni-tasker in anybody's kitchen should be the fire extinguisher!".

And that's not the first time it happened. I was cleaning the oven (again, because of not-so-darling-son's attempts to cook something). Turned the latch to lock the door. It started to go up to cleaning temp. And I saw flames. That wasn't too bad. I shut down the cleaning cycle and waited for it to cool back down. And then cleaned the oven by hand. Turned the clean cycle back on and it was fine.

Until not-so-darling-son moved out of the house, before I did anything with the oven, I always opened the door and checked it out first. It was safer that way. My poor stove went through a lot.

tangers40 tangers40 My son wanted to make brownies from a gluten-free mix. He didn't have any vegetable oil, so he called and asked me if he could use olive oil. "No! Go buy vegetable oil!" Well, he didn't; he used the olive oil. My DIL said she gave him an E for effort, but an F for taste. They were awful. The trash guy took them away.