Question Of The Day - Thursday 2 August

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everybody :wave3:

What was the last thing you made, fixed or repaired ? ;)
(This can apply to anything you want - eg House, food, clothes, car etc ...)

About a month ago I made a hedgehog house.
As I discovered I had hedgehogs visiting my garden. :yess: It was nothing special just some bricks stacked on one another with a wooden roof, and I stuffed it with dried leaves and hay :D

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I fixed my air conditioner a little over a month ago. My neighbor helped me diagnose it. I read online how much people get charged for this repair. I was shocked. It took me 10 minutes and the part costs $9. $150 is considered a good price for this repair. Some people on Angie's List said they had paid $850!! $250 for the part and $600 labor. Once again, I paid $9 for the part and it took me 10 minutes, and that included turning off the AC and turning off the circuit breaker, and taking the side off the AC to access where I needed to work. And then doing everything in reverse. It only took about 3 minutes to actually replace the part. And it is working fine. SMH, :dunno:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I made, with my hubby's help, of course, a big pot of Pistou soup. It's a vegetarian (by chance, not design) soup with vegetables and pesto. It's delicious and easy, but a bit expensive if you don't make your own pesto, which we do. We served it with buttered crusty bread and sighs of contentment.

We have a little (about the size of 1/4 of a pencil eraser) spider in the corner of the bathroom. He's attaching his web to the outside of the tub and the magazine rack, which we sometimes need to move. I'm making him little frame he can attach his web to so we can move him intact as needed. It's not fancy at all, just a few dowel pieces, a couple of very wide popsicle sticks, and a little plastic mesh. He'll probably leave before its finished.

Oh, I forgot. I'm making yarn pompoms for the cats. So far, Darwin has managed to pull every one of them apart. I pick up very short pieces of yarn all over the house. I'm going to try cotton string yarn and glue to keep them together. Cats are just like kids. Break the toy and play with the pieces.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just made hummingbird juice for the voracious hummers. I was afraid they were going to start pecking on the windows. “Hey! Hooman! Juice NOW. Chop, chop.”

And I also made pompoms for the cats this morning as well as a “new” stuffed sock to replace the torn one. The girls had pompoms, but they must sell them on eBay because they’ve all disappeared. I make them out of this weird iridescent cellophane wrapping paper. It makes a wonderful rustling noise and skitters across the floor in the mooost intriguing way. :)
0BD20A39-8351-4844-9176-A436F00EEA99.jpeg

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just made hummingbird juice for the voracious hummers. I was afraid they were going to start pecking on the windows. “Hey! Hooman! Juice NOW. Chop, chop.”

And I also made pompoms for the cats this morning as well as a “new” stuffed sock to replace the torn one. The girls had pompoms, but they must sell them on eBay because they’ve all disappeared. I make them out of this weird iridescent cellophane wrapping paper. It makes a wonderful rustling noise and skitters across the floor in the mooost intriguing way. :)
View attachment 245771
How, how do you do that? My kitties would love that kind of toy. Please share.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everybody :wave3:

What was the last thing you made, fixed or repaired ? ;)
(This can apply to anything you want - eg House, food, clothes, car etc ...)

About a month ago I made a hedgehog house.
As I discovered I had hedgehogs visiting my garden. :yess: It was nothing special just some bricks stacked on one another with a wooden roof, and I stuffed it with dried leaves and hay :D
Awww....hedgehogs are so cute and fun to watch!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I just finished an Autumn Nights gift basket that I am donating for a raffle. It has a throw blanket, marshmallows (and those long sticks are for toasting them), two wine glasses, cheese, crackers, caramel apple flavored candy, pumpkin caramel candy, cocoa, three kinds of cookies, wine spread for crackers, gold plastic plates and paper napkins, and other treats to be enjoyed by the fireside on a cold Fall night. I designed and made the acorn tag, and made the faux leaves and pheasant trim from stuff I've had for years. It looks a lot better in person!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
How, how do you do that? My kitties would love that kind of toy. Please share.
The pompoms, right, not the sock? I bought a roll of iridescent clear gift wrap, cut a piece about two inches wide and several inches long (I didn’t actually measure so it’s a guess), pleated or accordioned it, wrapped a twist tie around the middle, and then kind of fanned and fluffed the ends around to make it round. Easy to do but kind of hard to explain! I did a second one and used a heavy duty boot lace for the tie. One cat will play with the pompom while the other is playing with the lace. Or I’ll flip the lace around so they can chase the pompom.

They love their socks! They hug them, kick the heck out of them, and sleep on them. They’re stuffed with rags and I put catnip inside. I also periodically rub new ‘nip on the outside. Much happy drooling ensues. :)
74FC555A-176A-4B9F-9DB0-51910879FEBF.jpeg
4CB57979-19BA-4467-9972-2BCF59872855.jpeg
84A83720-8F79-453C-B4C6-AA50DA7F3F82.jpeg

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In terms of food, the last thing I made was dinner for dad for the next few days - pasta with chicken and veggies in a creamy white wine sauce.

For crafting, I have to go back a little further...maybe a month ago. I made a memorial suncatcher and bracelet for a close friend. I need to get crafting (jewellery making) again soon though, if I don't want to be rushed later in the year.