Question Of The Day - Thursday 14th March

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I take baths then rinse off with the overhead shower head that I remove and rinse all my bits and pieces. so I guess I'm doing both. Daily, in the hot months twice daily.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baths definitely. I can't stand being cold on one side in a shower, they are just all around too much work. It seems like hurry and get done. I like to bathe so I don't get my hair wet either. I do my hair, wash and curl, first thing in the morning so I'm ready to face the day. Baths come when I'm done with my work for the day usually mid afternoon, or early afternoon in the hot, sweaty summers!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Both! I'm in Japan, so you have to fill the tub with hot water, take a shower and then get in the tub. You're no supposed to get any shampoo or soap in the bath water as other family members will soak in it after you.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a child I had extremely dry skin, still do. One winter the doc prescribed 3 different creams and said I could only bathe 3 times a week till the dryness quelled. I was devastated because I loved baths; we had one of those old claw-footed bath tubs and bathing was heaven.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds complicated! I can't really picture it. :headscratch:
The bath is just for soaking. It's small and deep, so that it's up to your neck when you sit. You shower first so you're clean, then hop in the tub for a nice soak. Like a Jacuzzi. . .although a lot of Americans don't shower before using the Jacuzzi like you're supposed to.

We wildly misused our tub when we lived in a Japanese house, lol. As an American family with little kids, we used it like a regular bathtub, just deeper. I hope that didn't ruin anything for the next tenants. The shower room was nice, though. I could spray the shower head at my brother and it didn't get anything wet that wasn't waterproof ;).

I still enjoy baths but rarely take the time. Showers are a lot faster.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a child I had extremely dry skin, still do.
I have to buy special products for sensitive skin, then apply lotion afterwards. But I have to have my daily shower.

although a lot of Americans don't shower before using the Jacuzzi like you're supposed to.
I never shower before using the Jacuzzi at hotels! :eek2: Well I have my daily shower in the morning, but I don't shower right before going in the Jacuzzi. I didn't know there was a rule.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, hotel Jacuzzis are dirty anyway, won't make a difference. But I used to babysit for a family that had one at home and the kids kept jumping in dirty so it kept "crashing". . .I don't know the details of home hot tub maintenance but I guess they do better if you shower first.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both! I'm in Japan, so you have to fill the tub with hot water, take a shower and then get in the tub. You're no supposed to get any shampoo or soap in the bath water as other family members will soak in it after you.
I realize that this is a cultural thing, but to me, that is wrong in so many ways.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize that this is a cultural thing, but to me, that is wrong in so many ways.
Yeah, it's fascinating learning about other cultures. Two of my friends told me that they only shower/bathe once a week. I was horrified! I would feel so dirty after skipping one day.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Both. B.C. (Before Cats), I used to take baths sometimes to relax. I'd lounge in the water with a good book. I loved it. But then one time, I got into the bath and was reading. I looked down and saw cat hair. That was just so wrong. So wrong. I can put up with a lot with our kids, but not cat hair in my bath. That was the last time I ever took a bath in our house. When we go to B & Bs, I love taking long, luxuriating baths. But not at home.

When we did our bathroom over, we got rid of the bathtub, so it has to be a shower now. It's not the same.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baths, hands down. I have 22q deletion syndrome which makes it harder to stand in longer showers, so baths are a lot better - and also more relaxing and warm.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
showers daily first thing in the morning..I have extremely oily skin and if I skip a day I have an oil slick in my hair on the 2nd day-doesn't matter if i don't work out or do any physical activity. I inherited oily skin from my mom-it's a pain to constantly powder my nose so to speak trying to get rid of the oil but the older I get the less I try to scrub it off. I learned that oils on our skin keep us wrinkle free so I try not to be bothered by it. I use lotion after the shower religiously as well as the most abrasive scrubber I can find every 3 days to avoid ingrown hairs...the wonders of being "different".

I used to do sponge baths as a kid because I used to get cold from taking baths-I still don't like baths because part of me is cold and the water gets too cold too fast...so it's a nice hot shower for me but I try not to get it too hot so I don't wash the oils off my skin too badly. I have to use a hand held shower head-I just don't feel refreshed enough without it.

In the summer I shower am/pm too.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That sounds complicated! I can't really picture it. :headscratch:
I'm trying to find a good picture for you to show you what Japanese bathrooms are like.

You have to fill the tub first. Tubs all have covers to stop the shower water going in them and to keep the water warm. You stand next to the tub, shower using soap and shampoo, rinse off, then uncover the tub and get in to soak.

The tubs have a heating system so you can use the same bathwater over again. There's only two of us, so I usually only re-fill the tub twice a week.

As you've scrubbed and rinsed off with the shower there's never any soap or hair in the bath tub. It's like having a fresh bath every time.

Nothing like a hot bath before bed time, especially in the winter.

:cloud9: