maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to find a good picture for you to show you what Japanese bathrooms are like.
Thanks for the pic. Do you do that every day? It seems like it would take a long time to do both a shower and bath every day.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
In the summer I just have showers. In the winter I have a shower then soak for five minutes in the tub. It's a good way to warm up and relax all your muscles before you go to sleep. It's so cold here in the winter, it's difficult to sleep without a hot bath first of all

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds cool, except for the one about re-using the bath water to wash your clothes in the washing machine. Ewww!
Most countries use greywater much more than the US (we are spoiled!). The bath water is fairly clean and clothing wash water gets dirty anyway. As long as it rinses with fresh water it's all the same really.
No thanks. I've never showered with anyone. I like my privacy when I'm washing my parts. I'm serious about getting clean
You don't bathe in the baths. You're just hot-tubbing it :D. You bathe in the showers beforehand. It's a whole different culture, it's hard to compare it to American life.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! It just means using water that isn't contaminated with fecal bacteria (bathwater, dishwater, etc.) to do something else. Like water the plants or wash clothes or wash the car, etc. It's important when water is in short supply. When there's a drought in the US the residents have to get used to conserving and reusing water too. Californians are pretty well used to it.

My parents want to put in a Japanese-style soaking tub when they remodel their bathroom. They're not easy to find in the US though, and those you can find are expensive.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is that?

:)
Don't get me wrong, this is your culture and I'm not putting you down for it. But for me, personally, it seems wrong. There is no way I'm getting in bath water that another family member was in (except a significant other). If my son or mother was in the tub, even if they were clean, I'm not going in it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Don't get me wrong, this is your culture and I'm not putting you down for it. But for me, personally, it seems wrong. There is no way I'm getting in bath water that another family member was in (except a significant other). If my son or mother was in the tub, even if they were clean, I'm not going in it.
:lol: Well, I only live with my husband. We've been married 15 years and we've shared a lot more than bath water.

But communal bathing is common in Japan. I've been to lots of volcanic springs and bathed with strangers. Sometimes I've even seen monkey in the trees over head.

upload_2019-3-17_9-56-8.jpeg

These hot outdoor baths are so good. Especially when it's snowing or after a long hike.

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a long, very, very hot shower for me. With my bum knees I might get into he tub, but it would take a contingent of firefighters and a commercial hoist to get me out again. I do use a tub chair now, though. It's the best of both worlds.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Showers, definitely. I hate bathing because I hate the feeling of being wet, so while I do shower regularly, I do it begrudgingly. I don't think I could ever find baths relaxing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Showers, definitely. I hate bathing because I hate the feeling of being wet, so while I do shower regularly, I do it begrudgingly. I don't think I could ever find baths relaxing.
Sensory issues are annoying. There are some days I can't get wet. My brain just will not do it. That's hard to explain to people, isn't it?
Me: "I can't take a shower today; I'm not in the right mood." Normal people: "??????"

Ah well. At least I can do it sometimes. It must be a lot harder if your brain always hates it.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sensory issues are annoying. There are some days I can't get wet. My brain just will not do it. That's hard to explain to people, isn't it?
Me: "I can't take a shower today; I'm not in the right mood." Normal people: "??????"
I have so many sensory issues that I feel like I should just live in a completely silent bubble. I always feel like I'm being unreasonable by wishing someone would stop chewing or eating too loud or someone would just go away if they are sniffling, coughing or sneezing too much. I get way too annoyed by a lot of noises.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a long, very, very hot shower for me. With my bum knees I might get into he tub, but it would take a contingent of firefighters and a commercial hoist to get me out again. I do use a tub chair now, though. It's the best of both worlds.

Where did you find a tub chair low enough that you are actually in the water while sitting on it? I would love to have one so I can have " the best of both worlds " like you do.