Question Of The Day, Sunday, September 9,2018

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your favorites are apples from the orchard and farmstands that are grown locally, and you prefer the varieties that are knobby and russeted!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

i don't usually buy apples after the season ends. i'll switch to canned fruit, oranges (when they come into season, shipped from Florida), bananas, and occasionally pineapples.

i love those old illustrations of fruit, vegetables, and flowers/plants! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom , you know, I kind of do the same thing. It is bittersweet when the apple and stone fruit season ends locally here, so I want to make sure I do get to the farm stand this weekend for apples! But, I also switch over from fresh fruits and veggies to, for me, frozen ones for the Winter months, frozen peaches, raspberries, vegetables etc. because I like that they are frozen soon after picking.

I will post here after my farmstand visit on the apple varieties I see there. My farmstand uses special signs that read "our own" which are very helpful, I know these are the very local ones!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeycrisp is my top favorite. I love the taste and the fact that they were created in Minnesota (where I live) is just another reason for loving them. Did you know they were created at an agricultural center that is just down the road from where Prince lived?
your favorite is Honeycrisp!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

i hadn't known that Honeycrisp was created in Minnesota! and very cool, that the agricultural center where they were created is just down the road from where Prince lived! :agree:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really love hearing about all the different varieties! @allmykitties , SweeTango is a new name to me and I am glad you mentioned it, I will be keeping my eyes open and will definitely give it a try if I spot it!:fallsmiley:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Fuji & Red Delicious apples are tasty ... Some are bitter - better for baking with brown sugar .
" An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctor Away "
Fuji and Red Delicious are your favorites!!! :clap: that's great! :D

eating an apple a day surely is a joy, too! :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In order of preference: honey crisp, pink lady, jonagold, and fuji. The order flies out the window if you give me Coastal cheddar, too. Then I don't care which apple I eat.
your favorites are Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, Jonagold, and Fuji!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

apples with good cheddar cheese......:yess:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just said to Rick this morning that next month (Oct) we'll be making our trek down to the Gettysburg area for our apples for sauce, pies, dumplings, etc.

For sauce and pies, I'll go with an assortment of apples--one or two types of apples in a pie just doesn't cut it; sometimes if I use seven or eight apples in a pie, every one will be different! For dumplings, it's usually Granny Smith. For eating, it's always Granny Smith, followed very closely by Mutsu. Love my Grannies.
you prefer an assortment of apples for sauce and pies :cloud9:, Granny Smith for dumplings, and Granny Smith and Mutsu for eating!!! :clap: awesome!! :D

i've got my trip to pick up apples planned for next month, too! :heartshape:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad @Winchester you mentioned dumplings! It reminds me that one of our supermarkets here, at this time of year bakes and offers whole apples, peeled and cored, baked with a wonderful crust around them (tastes homemade) and loads of delicious cinnamon. They do this every year at this time and I am thinking that this is what is called an apple dumpling. I have never had them before I saw them offered at the market, but I fell in love with them immediately!:redheartpump:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Golden Delicious. So many have said Honey Crisp that I want to try it. Don't know if I can get them in Arizona, haven't seen any.
Golden Delicious is your favorite!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :)

i *think* (from what i'm reading online) that Honeycrisp apples are grown in Arizona, in some orchards.

i did find this website, Arizona Orchards Directory, which might help you in finding an orchard that grows Honeycrisp -- Arizona Orchards Directory - our listing of orchards in Arizona you'll need to call orchards and ask them if they grow them.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s a great idea! I’m not sure I’d have the self control, though, to pull them out “here and there.” Apple pie is my favorite. :)
i can understand that!! :agree:

i decided to make apple pie filling, and can it. that will save space in my freezers, but still make for pretty quick and easy pie making. and the apple pie filling can be used for pies, and also for making crisps, turnovers, as an ice cream topping, etc.:yess:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All apples are good apples (unless they are bad apple, and then as the saying goes: "One bad apple spoils the bunch").

However, my personal favourites include Granny Smith (so much zest!) and red delicious. Also, the apple trees in my backyard produce some good apples. I'm not sure what kind of apples we have, though.
you enjoy all apples, especially Granny Smith and Red Delicious!!! :clap: really very nice!! :D

you have apple trees in your backyard! :cloud9: that must be wonderful!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom , you know, I kind of do the same thing. It is bittersweet when the apple and stone fruit season ends locally here, so I want to make sure I do get to the farm stand this weekend for apples! But, I also switch over from fresh fruits and veggies to, for me, frozen ones for the Winter months, frozen peaches, raspberries, vegetables etc. because I like that they are frozen soon after picking.

I will post here after my farmstand visit on the apple varieties I see there. My farmstand uses special signs that read "our own" which are very helpful, I know these are the very local ones!
yes, it is bittersweet when apple and stone fruit season ends! :alright: i look forward to apple season all year until it gets here. i've still got some applesauce and apple butter that i made previously, but i'm working on my last container of apple crisp right now.

i'll look forward to hearing about the apple varieties you see during your farmstand visit! ;)

the farmstand i go to is quite big, and it's main item is apples, all sorts of apples. it's surrounded by their apple orchards.