Question Of The Day, Sunday, September 9,2018

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Fuji & Red Delicious apples are tasty ... Some are bitter - better for baking with brown sugar .
" An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctor Away "

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked all over the Internet for a pic of a Winesap, and they all looked like a perfectly round apple! Winesaps are actually quite knobby and lopsided. They have a speckled deep carmine skin. They are crisp crunchy with a sweet/tart flavor. This thread jogged my memory so that I found a seller online who ships them and ordered a box.
Thanks everyone for mentioning your favorites. It's apple time!
What you say about the Winesaps here @Dreamer Rose, that is everything I enjoy in an apple!:)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I just said to Rick this morning that next month (Oct) we'll be making our trek down to the Gettysburg area for our apples for sauce, pies, dumplings, etc.

For sauce and pies, I'll go with an assortment of apples--one or two types of apples in a pie just doesn't cut it; sometimes if I use seven or eight apples in a pie, every one will be different! For dumplings, it's usually Granny Smith. For eating, it's always Granny Smith, followed very closely by Mutsu. Love my Grannies.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Golden Delicious. So many have said Honey Crisp that I want to try it. Don't know if I can get them in Arizona, haven't seen any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crisp, crisp, crisp.
I'm with @Willowy, no mushy apples allowed. If I want mushy apples I'll eat applesauce.
I'm not satisfied that the apple is crispy enough unless I bust a tooth biting into it.
your favorites are crisp apples, very crisp ones!!! :cloud9: awesome!! :agree:

i really enjoy the varieties that i hear a 'crunch' when i bite into them -- crisp, firm apples! :redheartpump:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a related note, the Willamette Valley Pie Company makes the best fruit pies I’ve ever had. They’re frozen and have to be baked. The Caramel Apple is heavenly, but they’re all incredibly good. I’ve always made apple pie, but I think these are better. Yum. Now I want one. :)
that sounds wonderful!! :D i looked up their website -- very interesting! :agree:

this year i've been thinking i'll put together some apple pies, in (not disposable) aluminum pie plates, and freeze them. i like the idea of just pulling them out here and there throughout the winter and spring, and popping them in the oven to bake...and to enjoy eating! :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a friend who worked for a local grower, and that's what they did to preserve 'heritage' varieties. My brother's tree grows Red Romes, Yellow Delicious, and Macintosh varieties.
that's a wonderful thing, preserving 'heritage' varieties!! :redheartpump:

your brother's tree has apples that are ready to harvest over a period of a good month or so! those are great choices to graft onto one tree! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Braeburn is my favorite but I do like honey crisp as well. Red Delicious just doesn't taste delicious to me, it tastes mealy if that makes sense. I like the pink lady apples but not the granny smith.
your favorite is Braeburn, and you also like Honeycrisp, and Pink Lady!!! :thumbsup: great choices!! :)

it's been years since i've had a Red Delicious apple, actually it's been decades! i remember them from when i was a kid through young adult. :paperbag: back then, they were one of the more readily available varieties that were more crisp.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
this year i've been thinking i'll put together some apple pies, in (not disposable) aluminum pie plates, and freeze them. i like the idea of just pulling them out here and there throughout the winter and spring, and popping them in the oven to bake...and to enjoy eating! :yummy:
That’s a great idea! I’m not sure I’d have the self control, though, to pull them out “here and there.” Apple pie is my favorite. :)

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
All apples are good apples (unless they are bad apple, and then as the saying goes: "One bad apple spoils the bunch").

However, my personal favourites include Granny Smith (so much zest!) and red delicious. Also, the apple trees in my backyard produce some good apples. I'm not sure what kind of apples we have, though.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to beat a good Granny Smith! The ones available 20 years ago were much better than the ones I find these days.

I used to live in a big apple producing area. My neighbors were contracted to sell their apples to a big company and said they could not legally sell us any apples. However, they said that if we were to come in the back way and grab a bucket full, no one would know. :devilish: I don't remember the variety, but my grandfather loved them! I did too.
your favorite is Granny Smith!!! :clap: those are wonderful apples!! :D

that's very nice of your former neighbors! :agree:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be going to the farm stand this weekend to look for some russeted varieties of apples for both eating and some for cooking. :) Maybe applesauce or apple pie or apple cobbler.

My local farmstand actually now owns a well-established orchard that is close-by too so I know they are the place to find great local apples this time of year!:cheerleader:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite apples are the ones from the orchard and farmstand stores that are grown locally. I really do prefer apples that have irregularities on the peels and may not be smooth in appearance as @DreamerRose and @1CatOverTheLine talked about - the Winesaps. I eat an apple for the peel mostly and I do love the ones that are knobby and russeted! I'm not sure of the varieties but they are surely wonderful in texture and flavor, those with the irregular appearances.

If the farmstands are closed for the season, my apple of choice in the grocery store is Red Delicious. It is hard for me to find russeted varieties in the supermarkets, however.

I love the illustrations done years ago for the agricultural publications and I have a few collected that I treasure.View attachment 252029

:tree: I am really enjoying reading here, varieties others love.:wave3:
your favorites are apples from the orchard and farmstands that are grown locally, and you prefer the varieties that are knobby and russeted!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

i don't usually buy apples after the season ends. i'll switch to canned fruit, oranges (when they come into season, shipped from Florida), bananas, and occasionally pineapples.

i love those old illustrations of fruit, vegetables, and flowers/plants! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like SweeTango, Fuji, and Gala (in that order) for straight eating. The first is kind of hard to come by (they were growing them in an orchard near my parents), but it is amazing.

For pies, it is Granny Smith all the way.
SweeTango, Fuji, and Gala are your favorites for straight eating, and for pies it's Granny Smith!!! :clap: very nice choices!! :D

i've never tried SweeTango! :think: i'll have to keep an eye out for that variety!