Question Of The Day, Sunday, September 23, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

i've been looking at some lighting lately, for our living room. there's no lighting there at all right now. it turns out that that's a matter of personal preference, personal taste in lighting. i hadn't really thought about it much, until i started looking at choices.

so for today's Question of the Day......

What type and 'style' of lighting do you tend to prefer? (flushmount, semi-flushmount, chandelier, recessed lighting, wall lighting, table lamp, those tall free standing floor lamps, etc...and classic, modern, rustic, industrial, transitional)

i'll start!

i've found that i prefer ceiling and flushmount, semi-flushmount might do but not my first choice. i definitely prefer classic style. i like something that's simple looking, what i'd consider a 'timeless' look, that adds to the overall look of the room but also isn't 'an attention getter'.

i like 'industrial' style too, but my version of it would be hanging 'edison' bulbs. :agree:

i looked at wall lighting, but not what i'm wanting. :headshake:

i don't want table or floor lamps either, not with my three...and their 'Indianapolis 500 speed trials'! ;)

so it'll be ceiling lighting. and i prefer the amber colored sconce -- more gentle on my eyes. i really don't care for exposed bulbs. they're very bright, and if you look directly at them, you'll be seeing bright white bulb shapes everywhere you look for a while. :nono:

okay, now it's your turn!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Arizona, we have more light than any one person could want. So, natural lighting is good here. At night, a table lamp does me just fine.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm autistic so I don't do well around artificial light, especially fluorescent lighting. I do better around lighting that is as much like natural light as possible. Table and floor lamps are my preferred lighting. In terms of how they look, I like colorful lampshades and ones that I would consider modern design.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't pay a lot of attention to the style. But I don't like not having built-in lights. I want a light to turn on when I flip the switch, darn it!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Natural lighting as much as possible. When we renovated the kitchen, we installed sun tunnels at both sides of the kitchen. We took out the window above the sink and installed a new, much larger window. Our kitchen faces north, so we didn't get much in the way of natural light. Those sun tunnels really help! I love the under-cab lighting in the kitchen, too. It helps when I'm baking early in the morning and don't want a lot of lights turned on.

The only ceiling lights we have are in the kitchen, the foyer, the hallway and the bathroom. We don't have a lot of lights in the living room, other than what's in the foyer and an Ott light on the piano. We could use some pole lighting; no table lamps because the cats will destroy them. Don't get me wrong; I really like table lamps, but it's just asking for trouble. We used to have table lamps way B.C. (Before Cats)....they destroyed every one.

I think I'm more classic; Rick is more contemporary. It caused some problems when we renovated the kitchen and again when we renovated the bathroom. Our tastes are very different. He will also say that I tend to have "expensive" tastes. He will show me ten different lighting styles with no prices and I will choose the most expensive style. Every single time. I don't mean to. Honest.

I don't really like pendant lights. My sister has them in her kitchen and I think they tend to get in the way, more than anything. Open a cabinet to get something out and there's a pendant light that you have to get around. They look nice, but not my thing, I guess.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have good natural lighting here too (I'd hope so being in the sunshine state! :lol:). We have ceiling fans in every room other than the bathrooms so we use the lights in those. I also have a couple of table lamps in the living room. The table lamp that was in my bedroom met its demise when Sophie pushed it off the stereo cabinet it was on and it broke when it hit the TV stand. There's no way I'd have floor lamps. One bout of the zoomies and they'd be headed for the landfill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Arizona, we have more light than any one person could want. So, natural lighting is good here. At night, a table lamp does me just fine.
you have a lot of natural light, and use a table lamp at night!!! :thumbsup: that's great!! :)

i prefer natural light, and most days only ever turn on the overhead kitchen light. it's the winter months that get so dark here, and really early. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm autistic so I don't do well around artificial light, especially fluorescent lighting. I do better around lighting that is as much like natural light as possible. Table and floor lamps are my preferred lighting. In terms of how they look, I like colorful lampshades and ones that I would consider modern design.
you prefer as close to natural light as possible, and table and floor lamps!!! and you like colorful lamp shades with a modern design to them! :clap: most excellent!! :D

maybe that's why i prefer the amber colored sconces, and nightlights that we have -- they're closer in some way to natural light. :think:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't pay a lot of attention to the style. But I don't like not having built-in lights. I want a light to turn on when I flip the switch, darn it!
while you don't pay much attention to the style, you definitely prefer built-in lights!!! :cloud9: very nice!! :agree:

i'd rather have lighting connected to a switch too! i have one ceiling light that has the ball chain pull cord to turn it on/off. that wasn't my choice, it came with the house. :headshake:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I were designing my own house; every room would have recessed lighting as an option. I hate trying to work on a project and either not having enough light or having it in the wrong place so it shadows your work. It's also nice if the lights are dimmable.

But I also like the ambiance and style of more traditional table lamps. I am not a fan of modern design. We've mostly switched to LED bulbs so I'm getting used to the more blueish light. I'd prefer the warm bulbs. Our kitchen has LED bulbs in a fluorescent fixture. It's the best lit room in the house. DH is tall so the pull chains on our ceiling fans (which all have lights) always knock him in the head. So overall I'd like recessed lights. But I want the option of traditional table lamps or pendant/chandeliers in certain places too.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natural lighting as much as possible. When we renovated the kitchen, we installed sun tunnels at both sides of the kitchen. We took out the window above the sink and installed a new, much larger window. Our kitchen faces north, so we didn't get much in the way of natural light. Those sun tunnels really help! I love the under-cab lighting in the kitchen, too. It helps when I'm baking early in the morning and don't want a lot of lights turned on.

The only ceiling lights we have are in the kitchen, the foyer, the hallway and the bathroom. We don't have a lot of lights in the living room, other than what's in the foyer and an Ott light on the piano. We could use some pole lighting; no table lamps because the cats will destroy them. Don't get me wrong; I really like table lamps, but it's just asking for trouble. We used to have table lamps way B.C. (Before Cats)....they destroyed every one.

I think I'm more classic; Rick is more contemporary. It caused some problems when we renovated the kitchen and again when we renovated the bathroom. Our tastes are very different. He will also say that I tend to have "expensive" tastes. He will show me ten different lighting styles with no prices and I will choose the most expensive style. Every single time. I don't mean to. Honest.

I don't really like pendant lights. My sister has them in her kitchen and I think they tend to get in the way, more than anything. Open a cabinet to get something out and there's a pendant light that you have to get around. They look nice, but not my thing, I guess.
you prefer classic, while your DH likes more contemporary!!! you prefer natural lighting, and have sun tunnels :cloud9:, under cabinet lighting, as well as some ceiling lights! :thumbsup: excellent!! :)

that was my concern too, with pendant lights. they look great, but the dangling can get in the way -- plus i'm sure my cats would soon discover them as new 'toys'. :purr:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer table and floor lighting. I don't know what half of that stuff you is that you listed.
you prefer floor and table lighting!!! :clap: that's awesome!! :D

i'm right there with you! :agree: until i started looking at lighting online, i didn't know what those styles or types were/looked like!! ;)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have good natural lighting here too (I'd hope so being in the sunshine state! :lol:). We have ceiling fans in every room other than the bathrooms so we use the lights in those. I also have a couple of table lamps in the living room. The table lamp that was in my bedroom met its demise when Sophie pushed it off the stereo cabinet it was on and it broke when it hit the TV stand. There's no way I'd have floor lamps. One bout of the zoomies and they'd be headed for the landfill.
you prefer natural lighting, and are lucky to live in the sunshine state!!! you have ceiling fans with lights :cloud9: , and a couple of table lamps! :thumbsup: very nice!! :)

i love ceiling fans with lights! :agree: i had originally thought of having a ceiling fan with a light for the living room, that would have been ideal, but the ceiling isn't high enough -- so the whole thing (even flushmount) would hang too low, not up to the building code. :sigh:

...sending scritchins to your lovely Sophie! :hearthrob:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natural lighting is my favourite :) We don't get enough of it being in England haha, especially in winter. Though nothing is better than natural lighting IMO!
I also like chandeliers and have a couple at home. I also like night lights and Moroccan lamps for a cosier atmosphere - especially with Moroccan lamps, the patterns they make can be amazing - I have one in my sitting room that I got from a souk in Marrakech when I last visited a few years ago.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were designing my own house; every room would have recessed lighting as an option. I hate trying to work on a project and either not having enough light or having it in the wrong place so it shadows your work. It's also nice if the lights are dimmable.

But I also like the ambiance and style of more traditional table lamps. I am not a fan of modern design. We've mostly switched to LED bulbs so I'm getting used to the more blueish light. I'd prefer the warm bulbs. Our kitchen has LED bulbs in a fluorescent fixture. It's the best lit room in the house. DH is tall so the pull chains on our ceiling fans (which all have lights) always knock him in the head. So overall I'd like recessed lights. But I want the option of traditional table lamps or pendant/chandeliers in certain places too.
it sounds like you prefer recessed lighting, with the option of the 'ambiance and style' of traditional table lamps, pendant lighting, or chandeliers!!! :thumbsup: really great choices!! :)

i just started using LED bulbs. i haven't noticed a difference as far as being 'blueish' light. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natural lighting is my favourite :) We don't get enough of it being in England haha, especially in winter. Though nothing is better than natural lighting IMO!
I also like chandeliers and have a couple at home. I also like night lights and Moroccan lamps for a cosier atmosphere - especially with Moroccan lamps, the patterns they make can be amazing - I have one in my sitting room that I got from a souk in Marrakech when I last visited a few years ago.
you prefer natural lighting, and also like chandeliers, night lights, and Moroccan lamps!!! :clap: excellent!! :D

ahhh, night lights! i use night lights throughout our home. i don't like to turn the overhead lights on when i get up during the night to use the bathroom -- too bright! and night lights are also helpful with cats, so i don't bump into them when i get up during the night!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i just started using LED bulbs. i haven't noticed a difference as far as being 'blueish' light. :dunno:
I noticed it the most with Christmas lights. They have a cooler glow. When we had the traditional fluorescent ones in the kitchen fixture I bought the wrong kind and had half warm half cool. It was very obvious then.