Question Of The Day, Sunday, September 10, 2017

RequestKen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gandalf really loves olive oil of all things. I'm afraid it will give him diarrhea so I don't give him any, but he does manage to jump on the kitchen counter and lick the occasional plate whenever I've had salad for lunch or dinner.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While DD and I were evacuating from the storm, I remembered something that happened while she was at school. I had fixed myself some plain scrambled eggs and toast with butter. As soon as it was plated, the doorbell rang. It was UPS. I put the plate on the coffee table and went to the door. When I went back, Lilith was gobbling up the eggs and the dog was finishing the toast. It looked like Lily had inspected the plate, decided she wanted the eggs but not the toast so she pushed it on the floor for the dog. DD was laughing about that one as we drove. So- Lilith likes scrambled eggs but not toast! :lol:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
While DD and I were evacuating from the storm, I remembered something that happened while she was at school. I had fixed myself some plain scrambled eggs and toast with butter. As soon as it was plated, the doorbell rang. It was UPS. I put the plate on the coffee table and went to the door. When I went back, Lilith was gobbling up the eggs and the dog was finishing the toast. It looked like Lily had inspected the plate, decided she wanted the eggs but not the toast so she pushed it on the floor for the dog. DD was laughing about that one as we drove. So- Lilith likes scrambled eggs but not toast! :lol:
So nice that Lilith and the dog co-operate like that.

:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper doesn't care at all for ANYTHING people food related, Mollie and Dutch get small amounts once in a while of roast, or chicken, etc. Tommy and Burt however almost insist on having what ever we are eating, or at least sniff it anyway to see if they like it. About the only thing I don't give them is anything milk or chocolate related. Once in a while they will eat small amounts of cottage cheese or vanilla ice cream. So far it hasn't upset them. Poor Burt has been throwing up about everything lately, but since he is literally dieing, we let him try what ever he wants.
no chocolate, and no milk!!! :nono:

very good, Casper!!! ;) your Mollie and Dutch (love that name, btw) both like small amounts of roast or chicken sometimes! :catrub: and your Tommy and Burt sound quite adventurous with investigating and many times trying people foods!! :winkcat:

and, sending your Burt (very) gentle scritches......

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morgana - Vodka. She had a taste sometime ago while my back was turned. Doesn't look great for an owner if they have to take their kitty to an AA meeting :paperbag: so I'm careful.

Tippy Toes - Bacon and Eggs. Goes crazy for it! Not surprising, the combo smell must be divinely strong.

Camelot - Everything! He will even go after something like beans, despite never having anyway and telling him that I doubt he'd like it :sweat:

Liffey - So far so good, she might briefly get a little curious about some foods but she doesn't beg nor behave 'desperately' like the other ones.
oh my, Morgana!! :nono: i can see your Tippy Toes attraction to bacon and eggs! :agree: your Camelot likes everything!! beans!? :jawdrop: ahhh, your Liffey is so far only mildly curious about people foods! :clap:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will beg for anything I am eating but the only things they will actually eat is tuna or turkey. I don't have either on a regular basis so when I am having one of those I will give each of them a tiny bite. Like I said though, they will beg for anything I am eating except for an orange. They both gather around me when I have an orange because they have to beg for what I am having. As soon as I start peeling it they get a good whiff and they are gone.
ahhh, though your Alice and Patches would like to try anything you're eating, they only get a tiny bite of tuna or turkey occasionally!!! :thumbsup: very nice!!

oranges! i can understand your two not caring for the orange oil mist when you're peeling an orange! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We never got in the habit of giving our cats people food and three out of our four really don't show interest in it. Rico, on the other hand... :rolleyes: He's our 'garbage gut' and will eat anything we leave out so we have to be careful to put food away. Hubby gives him a bit of cooked plain chicken now and then but that's it.
3 out of 4 of your cats don't show interest in people food!! :thumbsup: most excellent! :)

your Rico sounds like he's a little naughty, eating anything that would be left out!! :nono: and that's very nice that your DH gives Rico a bit of plain cooked chicken sometimes!!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:Gypsy HAS to smell everything we are preparing or eating but rarely will taste anything. She does take a few licks from the bottom of a bowl of cereal or vanilla ice cream but won't take more than a taste. She likes a little piece of peanut or peanut butter. Now a tuna sandwich is a totally different story!:crackup:
ahhh, your Gypsy must smell the foods you're preparing or eating, but rarely will taste any!!! :thumbsup: good girl, Gypsy!! :redheartpump: and just a few licks from the bottom of a bowl of cereal or vanilla ice cream...:cutecat:

a little piece of peanut or peanut butter...how interesting! :think:

my Mickey :rbheart: loved to smell the fresh fruit and veggies i brought home, but was never interested in eating them. my little Snick :rbheart: had the same reaction to smelling fresh fruit and veggies as our Punky does -- narrowing of the eyes, and a look on her face that seemed to say, 'OH!!! what a horrible smell!' on the other hand, our DeeDee is always interested in smelling fresh fruit and veggies i bring home. :dunno:

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here, Carleton shows no interest in people food. However, I think that is due in part to him coming from a hoarder and being malnourished. He never got to experience the sweet smells or cooking delights.

The only cat whoever really showed a sign of interest in people food was our tuxedo cat, Sylvester. He loved vanilla yogurt and I would give him a teeny tiny bit on my spoon. :yummy:
your Carleton shows no interest in people food!!! :clap: good boy, Carleton!! :hearthrob: i'm so glad that he has you now!

ahhh, your Sylvester loved vanilla yogurt!! :thumbsup: very nice!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have no real interest in anything I eat other than meat. I'm not a big gravy/sauce person so most meat I eat is grilled/baked broiled and if that is what I am eating, they can have some as I will usually just season it with a bit of sea salt. Anything else they do not get. Sometimes I will cook a plain chicken breast for them as a treat. It gets shredded and used as a topper to their food or fed alone as a treat.
your Lilith, Sophie, and Henry have no interest in any people food other than meat!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :) and such wonderful treats for them, cooked plain meat or chicken! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie is a bear to deal with when I am having fish of any kind, especially Tuna Fish.
He also loves cheese: sliced deli cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and Cracker Barrel cheddar...

He is terrible to deal with. Artie is all over me when I try to have some. He is jumping up next to me, paw in my plate, nose in my food. I really cannot enjoy having either fish or cheese.. :( :nono: :nono: :nono:

The worst is tuna or fish in general. When he was able to jump that high, he would actually jump on the kitchen counter, demanding tuna. :argh: :nono: :nono:

It is horrible, but I have refrained from Tuna fish....and I am absolutely craving a tuna salad sandwich.. or just tuna in a salad.. sigh...:livid:

Regular fish, I can turn him away a bit better, because of the lemon... :fuming:
awww, your Artie loves fish and cheese!!! :redheartpump: you're such a great cat mom, refraining from having tuna fish!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my cats want anything on my plate, and while I'm eating, they sit hungrily watching me. Mingo will try to snatch something off my plate, so I am continually batting them away. When I'm done, I put the plate down to let them lick it. Mingo invariably doesn't like it at that point and scratches around the plate like it was litter. Lily, however, will lick the plate clean. She will eat anything. Crackers are one of her favorites.

There's a cute Cole and Marmalade video about what's it like to eat around a cat who is determined to have your food. That's what it's like for me.
'...they sit hungrily watching me (eat)' -- oh my!! :headshake: your Lily will eat anything, and Mingo doesn't care for 'leftovers' on your plate after you've finished your meal! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paul doesn't have any interest in people food but Chula has a serious weakness for ham. She also likes ice cream and milk. She never drinks much of these last two, just sits there and puts a danty paw in the bowl and then licks it. At least she does this until I swoop in warning her of tummy upset and take the bowl away. :catrub:
such a good boy, your Paul!! :redheartpump: ahhh, ham! i can understand your Chula loving ham!! :agree: my three absolutely adore ham (and gravy) jar baby food. and your Chula also likes ice cream and milk, which she gets only a taste or two of so as not to upset her tummy! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanut butter cookies and pizza. Although I do understand the need for these two items, she's not getting them.
She also likes chicken, but I have no problem giving her some of that. Especially since it's baked with no breading or seasoning. That way I can make chicken salad out of it.
peanut butter cookies and pizza!!! :nono: your girl also likes chicken! good girl!! :hearthrob:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gandalf really loves olive oil of all things. I'm afraid it will give him diarrhea so I don't give him any, but he does manage to jump on the kitchen counter and lick the occasional plate whenever I've had salad for lunch or dinner.
olive oil!?! oh my, Gandalf!! :headshake:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my!!! i can just picture that in my mind!! :flail:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
My Honeybee is a begger. She sits and stares to try whatever is on your plate. meat, potatoes, cheese, crackers etc. she only takes a bite and turns and fluffs away.

Pumpkin face hates most people food except for tuna and shrimp. yes she eats tuna every morning-it's a ritual Jon started in 2003. We stopped for 5 to 6 months. And she then needed meds mixed in food so we went back to the ritual plus I have to pill her every morning. it's just a tablespoon of tuna with water added-she picks at it all day. And I figured it's easier to pill a cat if they get a reward afterwards. no cat food for that one-we tried all kinds-nope. She also loves Shrimp-but you have to shred it for her though.

Honeybee has jumped up and stolen meat off Jon's plate so now he feeds her treats just before he eats so she leaves him alone. He often shares his food with her by putting some on another plate-he doesn't let her eat off his dish. It depends on her mood-sometimes eats it-sometimes not. She loves crackers-cheezits type of crackers.

Years ago with Floey-she used to beg and get nose in your food if you had chicken or turkey. She LOVED turkey-ate tons of it and she preferred that over wet food. in fact she too hated wet food. I remember seeing her jump up to eat out of Jon's plate that he put on the hassock to get up for something-came back and the cat was snacking away.
Another time I had a steak sub in the same spot-got up to get a drink-came back and the bugger was eating my sandwich. so we always put a tiny bit on a plate for her after that. most times she sniffed, licked a few times then walked away. for years she also loved strawberry ice cream. would get in your face-push her face in your dish to get some-so Jon always let her lick his bowl afterwards.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
And she was nice to share with the dog :crackup: