Question Of The Day Sunday Nov 18, 2018

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
20180610_020957.jpg

That's where Lelia hid right after we moved into the new place. My bf had to take the panel off the side of the counter to see there was even a hole in there.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we first moved into our home just over 4 years ago, we had six of our nine cats. A couple of days after our move, I noticed that there were no cats around, so I went looking. Turns out, in my daughter's closet, there is a sort of access door that leads to a floorless room (only the ceiling beams and the ceiling below) that is about 8' x6'. Our cats had crawled between the downstairs ceiling and the upstairs floor. After calling and coaxing, five of the six came out, leaving Fennimore somewhere under the floor.

Fennimore is not very vocal unless he wants my attention, so we could not hear him in the house. I called the general contractor who had been doing some repairs we could not do ourselves. He said that he could not come out that day but would come by after work the next day. He warned me that because our house is older (built in 1923) it would be easy for Fennimore--who was just about a year old and not nearly the (almost) 18 pounds that he is today--to fall between the plaster and lathe walls.

Some in our family would say that Fennimore is my favorite. I do not have a favorite, but Fennimore and I have a special bond that is different than with the other cats, including all the cats I have had previously.) I was a mess.

I kept thinking about him trapped in the ceiling or wall dying of dehydration. I mean, it was over 80 degrees that day! I told my husband that if Fennimore died in the walls, we would have to move.

Around 11 am the next day, my son and his fiancee heard Fennimore meow once behind their wall, which is the opposite corner of the house from where the cats entered. After checking the walls across the front of the house, we found another oddity in my daughter's room: A 2' wide by 4' tall space that sounded different when tapped upon. Our only option was to cut into the wall.

Behind it, we found another space that was roughly 14' across and 7' wide. My son climbed inside and found Fennimore stuck between to floor/ceiling boards. Dehydrated and hungry but safe!

We ended up finding a third space inside my son's closet of similar size to the one in my daughter's closet. For now, we have them all closed off, but one day we may do something with the spaces. Odd thing about the space behind my daughter's wall is that there was a small wooden box inside of it. The box was empty, but it was still interesting. He also found a giant wasp nest, several bird skeletons, and one bat skeleton. He sold the bat skeleton to some guy on Craigslist for $20.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few times I have not been able to find a cat. Years ago we had a cat named Opie. We lived in an apt. We could not find her one night. After searching forever, tearing the apt apart, we started looking outside, We were going around all the bushes with flashlights calling her. Could not find her. Of course it was winter and even in the south it can get down to the 30's. We finally went back in. Of course I could not sleep. So around midnight I went outside again with flashlight calling her. Near the entrance I heard a soft meow and there she was.

Another time several years we were getting ready to go see Cirque du Soleil. We were counting heads and came up 1 short. We looked everywhere for 45 minutes. We have a small condo so there are not that many places to hide. We had not been out since we saw her, so we knew she had to be inside. Finally we left all the closet doors open and left. When we got home there she was. She is known to disappear.

Recently I had 3 foster kittens about 2 months old. I keep them in the bedroom and bathroom. I always have nightmares about leaving the seat up and one of them climbing up the shelves next to it and falling in. One evening I could not find Dave. I looked for 45 minutes or more, everywhere. In the closets, under the dresser, etc. I went out front and looked and could not find him. I was in a panic because the seat was up. I was tearing apart the bedroom, crying and could not find him. Then I looked out in the front again and there he was sitting looking at me like hi mom.

We have one cat now that disappears and then comes out. I have no idea where she goes.

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hotaru likes to burrow underneath the blankets and there's been a few times when I've looked all over the apartment for her, only to find her underneath a blanket sleeping.
IMG_9320 (2).JPG

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All... I am so late with this.. micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom asked me to do this for her today...

sorry about the lateness.. it has been a crazy day..

Here goes:
Question of the Day:

Have you ever 'lost' your cat, in your own house/apartment...Not outdoors, but inside the apartment??

Here is my answer, and you will know why I am so late with this.

YES!!! Right now, Geoffrey has been missing over hover 2 hours!! I cannot find him anywhere.

And YES for Artie also.. I could not find him for over 2 hours, because I had locked him in my closet!! He snuck in while I was putting clothes away..

G is another matter.. I spooked him, by turning mattress, he took off like a bat out of all heck; and I have yet to find him.

I have 2 closet doors open, and the closet where the washer/dryer/water tank is..

I climbed on top of the washer, the dryer, to look behind it with a flashlight.. I also looked as best I could, underneath on the sides of the water tank...Looked under bed-- no holes for him to be hiding in the lining.. moved the couch, the other 2 chairs.. took flashlight, on my hands and knees in both closets, behind furniture, on top of cabinets, behind refrigerator.. no where to be found.. dam

I put out some stinky Fancy Feast in the kitchen, one in the extra bedroom, and another near my storage room, when the washer, dryer, water tank is...

This cat is just too scared of everything.

I hope he is not stuck some where.. his voice is so soft, I do not think I could hear him.. sigh...
I lost Baby Girl today during our clean freak fest.
She was in a guest room that hadn't been cleaned, on the bed, so I took a large quilt and covered her up except for her face (she's so darned cute), and she turned and burrowed and seemed happy. She LOVES to burrow, head, face, tail and all. This was at about 7:00AM.
About noon, I realized she wasn't attacking my heels for a snack and I hadn't seen her in awhile but forgot I'd tucked her in for a nap. We had helpers helping us clean and I ordered everyone to stop and think about if they went outside for any reason, a few had but said they made sure the exit door was shut tightly because of the animals.
About 15 minutes post panic I thought "...the quilt." Went into the guest room, pulled the cover off and got a look like I'd just accidentally opened the shower curtain on someone mid-scrub. :crazy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've never 'lost' one of my cats -- they're indoors only, and i'm exceedingly careful to keep them indoors. but pretty much all of my cats have, at one time or another, found 'hidey spots' and i've walked through our home calling their name and looking for them.

i also do the 'head-count' for my cats -- checking on them before i leave the house for a semi-longer period of time, and again when i get back home.

and a big Thank You! to artiemom artiemom , for doing Sunday's Question of the Day! :clap:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Willie was alive, I'd lose her so much. One time she followed me into my closet and I didn't realize she had and I shut the door on her. My roommate and I searched the apartment high and low and I was starting to panic. I finally looked in the closet and she just struts out like, "I was here the whole time, Mom. Couldn't you hear me?" When Willie lost her hearing, she scared me often because she'd find a new sleeping spot and she couldn't hear me calling for her.