Question of the Day, Sunday July 30, 2023

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
First off, I've gotten a few PM's from members that are concerned about gilmargl gilmargl . I had also noticed her absence. It was pointed out tome that in one of her last posts she mentioned that she was going to be away from home for the month of July. Hopefully we'll see her later this week. :)

Today's question -

Thunderstorms, Yay or Nay?

It's a HUGE no for me. I had an incident as a child where I was home alone and there was a huge storm and lightning struck something very close by. Ever since I have not been a fan. My neighbor's house was struck by lightning earlier this month.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've so rarely been in a thunderstorm, they're a novelty to me. Whenever the news says there's a chance of a thunderstorm, I get excited. But they almost never materialize.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a kid we used to watch the lightning whenever there was a thunderstorm. When my kid's were little I used to watch for lightning with them. I did it because those big crashes of thunder can be scary. So getting them excited about the flashes of lightning took the fear away. They'd hear the thunder and look for the flash. Big yay for me.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thunderstorms and severe weather are a fairly common occurrence here. I enjoy watching the front coming in, tracking it on radar and prepping for a severe one. This year because it has been so dry, I have been disappointed when a big one passes us by. If it’s a tornado warning I have a comfy spot in the basement to hang out til it’s over.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, not really, especially if they're close. I'm not terrified or anything, but always a little uncomfortable until it passes by.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only mind them if I am caught out driving, I don't like to drive in heavy rain. Of course, it is in the back of my mind about the power could go out.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love thunderstorms! :redheartpump:

Of course there is the sensible limit, like what the occasion is/where I am, not severe enough where the power goes out. But thankfully that isn't too common, so can enjoy more "normal" thunderstorms. Especially at night when you are all nestled in!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thunderstorms are a Nay, as they often bring Tornadoes , straightline winds and hail.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a big fan of thunder and lightning but that's partially due to when I got caught in a bad storm while running. I was far from home and more afraid of the lightning than the downpour so I waited for a break in the storm on someone's porch. Luckily no one ever came out and asked why I was there. :biggrin: Our dog was deathly afraid of thunder so if I knew we were expecting a storm I'd try to be home if at all possible.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only mind them if I am caught out driving, I don't like to drive in heavy rain. Of course, it is in the back of my mind about the power could go out.
Same here. We get plenty of thunderstorms here during the summer. As long as I'm not driving in them I don't care. Since I've been working from home I no longer have to.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One evening I was still in school, my daddy and I were sitting on the balcony of their house during a bad thunder storm.
The rain was insane, wind was blowing hard, thunder was crashing very loudly, and the lightening was major...
My daddy looked at me and said "I'd like to see lightening strike that tree right there" (very close to the house and it was a huge tree) I responded "that would be so cool but it won....." lightening struck that tree we got hit with some of the tree that blew apart.. we looked at each other shocked and just went inside.
I've always been very interested in the weather and storms I thought that experience was a once in a lifetime experience. I loved it but it was also scary lol I'm a daddy's girl so I think I liked the fact that my daddy called the lightening striking the tree (although I know it was coincidence) or God said ask and you shall receive..
To this day I still love storms.. and when I'm at my parents visiting and there is a storm my daddy and I still sit out on the balcony watching the beauty of it all.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a big no. I used to enjoy them (when inside), but that all changed after living through the Labor Day Storm of 1998 in upstate NY.

I finally stopped having panic attacks when thunderstorms started, but that took about 10 years.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a big no. I used to enjoy them (when inside), but that all changed after living through the Labor Day Storm of 1998 in upstate NY.

I finally stopped having panic attacks when thunderstorms started, but that took about 10 years.
I think that would be enough to scare any sane person enough to the point of not liking thunderstorms for sure.
I'm glad you made it through that ferocious storm and I am sorry you were left with basically ptsd from it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid living in the Hudson Valley,thunderstorms were no big deal and kinda cool.Moving out here they are totally different most of the time, can bring the severe weather that I'm not fond of and are quite scary.The "old fashioned" ones I enjoy,but the severe and warned storms not so much.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hardly had any since I’ve lived here. Had a couple of whoppers in Queensland - once saw a lightning strike hit the fence outside, that was spectacular. Only thing that bothers me about them is when the power goes out, but that’s rare.