Question Of The Day, Sunday, July 30, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only supplement I take is cranberry fruit. Gives my kidneys a fighting chance with all the drugs the doctor has me on. Which isn't a lot, but my kidney function was down a bit until I started taking it.
cranberry fruit!!! :thumbsup: great!! and i'm really glad to hear that the cranberry seems to have helped your kidney function! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
multi-vitamin
Vit D
Biotin
and because I have periodic leg cramps during the night, Magnesium

I should take calcium, but I keep forgetting.. I cannot take it with breakfast because I am taking a thyroid med.. they counteract each other. ---that is why I forget.
most excellent!!! :clap:

may i ask -- does the magnesium help with your periodic leg cramps? i get leg cramps too. i'd tried taking potassium, drinking tonic water (for the quinine in it)......neither helped. what seems to help the most for me is sports drinks. :dunno:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

may i ask -- does the magnesium help with your periodic leg cramps? i get leg cramps too. i'd tried taking potassium, drinking tonic water (for the quinine in it)......neither helped. what seems to help the most for me is sports drinks. :dunno:
I've been told bananas help. Probably the potassium. Can't verify that though, I'm deathly allergic to them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I eat a banana pretty much every day and haven't had a leg cramp in years.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

I think the magnesium does help. I mentioned it to my PCP last week. She agreed and even suggested taking magnesium. I have to pick up another bottle. I ran out over the weekend.

I did try tonic water. I am not certain if it is effective.

Glad the sports drink is aiding you. Potassium is not something I would take without a prescription. At one point in my life, my potassium was low. I started taking multi-vitamins, eating a ton of salads, and it resolved.

I guess it is one of those things where something may work for one person but not for the next.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes! I take a multi-vitamin, plus extra calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, B-complex, and vitamin D. When I take them regularly I rarely get sick - when I forget for a weekend I almost always catch something.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't take multivitamins (I have a condition that makes me have inflammatory responses to acids, and it's hard to find one without vitamin c), but I take magnesium, zinc, evening primrose oil (my saving grace for bad periods), and vitamin D. I should start taking iron, but just haven't yet, LOL.

I used to take b-12, but I think it contributes to my acne, so I've stopped for the last few weeks.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the magnesium does help. I mentioned it to my PCP last week. She agreed and even suggested taking magnesium. I have to pick up another bottle. I ran out over the weekend.

I did try tonic water. I am not certain if it is effective.

Glad the sports drink is aiding you. Potassium is not something I would take without a prescription. At one point in my life, my potassium was low. I started taking multi-vitamins, eating a ton of salads, and it resolved.

I guess it is one of those things where something may work for one person but not for the next.
i'm so glad the magnesium helps for you!!! leg cramps are just horrible! sometimes i even get those kind of cramps in my fingers or in my abdominal muscles -- that's after working outdoors and in the heat for several hours.

yes! that's what i read, that solutions for (leg) cramps can vary, that what works for one person may not for the next.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a multi-vitamin for women
Calcium

I'm surprised I don't need more protein but I have never been told I needed more.

A poster said in another section that no body needs to take supplements if they would eat right. That's not always possible for me.

Even Dr. Oz takes vitamins.

Muffy
a multi-vitamin for women and calcium!!! :clap: very nice!!

i think people's bodies and their bodies needs can vary. and it's not true (for every person) that no body needs to take supplements if they would eat right. for example, i have raynaud's, which is hereditary. my low blood iron is due to the raynaud's i have. now, before adding an iron supplement i did make very good efforts to increase my iron intake through my diet -- farina, dark molasses (by the spoonfuls), and other foods high in iron...daily. for me, that simply was not enough.

while i definitely agree that it would be ideal for no one to need to take any supplements if they would eat right, it's sometimes not that simple.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing for the most part. However, I did just finish 1 month of a high dose of Vitamin D.
I practically never go into the sun so I was extremely deficient.
When I'm taking antibiotics I try to remember to use a probiotic daily. It does seem to help some of the symptoms which can arise with some of those medications.
i'm glad you don't need to take any supplements on a long term basis!!! :agree: ahhh, a high dose of vitamin D for one month, and you take a probiotic daily when taking antibiotics! :thumbsup: great!!

and that reminded me...that i do add vitamin C during the winter months, in the form of Tang (drink) which contains 100% daily value of vitamin C per serving.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't take any. I eat loads of fruit and vegetables and get my protein from soy milk, tofu and nuts. I think I'm pretty healthy at the moment, don't feel the need to take anything else.

(Unless you count cat hair. No meal is complete without a garnish of cat hair.)

:sheep:
no supplements!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just Cod liver oil pills during the winter. I used to take iron awhile ago, but those made me sick.

My doctors and surgeons have always called multi-vitamins nothing more than "expensive pee" and say not to bother :lol:

I really do my best just simply eating as well as I can (Albeit, like anything else in life, can be far from a perfectly achieved goal sometimes!) as I am pushing 30 now, I might consider taking some calcium in the future. I already enjoy milk and good quality cheese, but not entirely enough at times, and can't hurt to help prevent osteoporosis.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm vegetarian, so I take a B-12 supplement, just to be safe. But since I do eat dairy and eggs, I'd probably be fine without it.

And because I'm vegetarian, I've read a lot about protein requirements. Unless on a really low calorie-restricted diet, both vegetarians and omnivores probably meet their daily protein needs, despite the fact that the food and supplement industry is trying to convince everyone that they need more. Vegans can also get sufficient protein, however, without eggs and dairy for backup, for me it would be more difficult.
ahhh, a B-12 supplement -- just to be safe!!! :clap: very nice!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a single aspirin a day, as an hedge. Last time I saw a Doctor, he claimed I that was healthy, but that was in the summer of 1958. I had an head cold in the eighties, but other than that, I'd guess I've been pretty fortunate.

I eat whatever appeals to me at the time, and often that's something from the vegetable garden; I mow my own lawn, and edge and trim, and look after the gardens myself. I canoe, walk in the woods, and spend most of the Winter walking behind the snowblower. I wrangle cats - plenty of exercise for any old man - and I suspect that many of the modern day ills are brought about by sedentary lifestyle rather than dietary failure, or a lack of supplements, but that's wholly personal opinion.
an aspirin each day, as a hedge!!! :thumbsup: great!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the past I did take gummy vitamins. I took vitamin C and D because people told me that I wouldn't get sick from the kids during cold and flu season when I was teaching preschool and there are germs all over the place in school.

I tried taking a multivitamin but I kept throwing it up, but I was able to take a gummy vitamin.

Now I don't really take anything because I don't know if I need it. There's no point in taking a supplement unless you are deficient in something. I haven't been to a doctor since I was in high school. But I am going to find a PCP now that I am not moving around anymore, and I'd like to get a baseline and know what my cholesterol is and my blood pressure and all those good things.
no supplements now!!! :clap: most excellent!!