Question Of The Day, Sunday, July 30, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

recently, i've started looking into protein powders. i consider myself 'protein challenged', as in i generally don't get enough protein when left to my own preferences. i do make a good effort at having enough protein daily though, and have gotten into the routine of keeping mental tabs on how much i've had as i work through each day. but i also think it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some protein, and protein powder seems the easiest way -- it can be mixed into water/milk/other liquids, sprinkled on cereal, and i think you can even add it when making baked goods (i know it can be added to the homemade granola recipe i use).

so for today's Question of the Day, let's talk about supplements!

Do you take any supplements?

i'll start!

i take an over the counter iron supplement, not daily but more 'as needed'. and as i say, i'm looking into adding protein powder.

how about you?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a multi-vitamin. Also curcumin, an anti-inflamatory and CoEnzyme Q10 to lower blood pressure.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only supplement I take is cranberry fruit. Gives my kidneys a fighting chance with all the drugs the doctor has me on. Which isn't a lot, but my kidney function was down a bit until I started taking it.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
multi-vitamin
Vit D
Biotin
and because I have periodic leg cramps during the night, Magnesium

I should take calcium, but I keep forgetting.. I cannot take it with breakfast because I am taking a thyroid med.. they counteract each other. ---that is why I forget.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a multi-vitamin for women
Calcium

I'm surprised I don't need more protein but I have never been told I needed more.

A poster said in another section that no body needs to take supplements if they would eat right. That's not always possible for me.

Even Dr. Oz takes vitamins.

Muffy

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing for the most part. However, I did just finish 1 month of a high dose of Vitamin D.
I practically never go into the sun so I was extremely deficient.
When I'm taking antibiotics I try to remember to use a probiotic daily. It does seem to help some of the symptoms which can arise with some of those medications.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm vegetarian, so I take a B-12 supplement, just to be safe. But since I do eat dairy and eggs, I'd probably be fine without it.

And because I'm vegetarian, I've read a lot about protein requirements. Unless on a really low calorie-restricted diet, both vegetarians and omnivores probably meet their daily protein needs, despite the fact that the food and supplement industry is trying to convince everyone that they need more. Vegans can also get sufficient protein, however, without eggs and dairy for backup, for me it would be more difficult.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take a single aspirin a day, as an hedge. Last time I saw a Doctor, he claimed I that was healthy, but that was in the summer of 1958. I had an head cold in the eighties, but other than that, I'd guess I've been pretty fortunate.

I eat whatever appeals to me at the time, and often that's something from the vegetable garden; I mow my own lawn, and edge and trim, and look after the gardens myself. I canoe, walk in the woods, and spend most of the Winter walking behind the snowblower. I wrangle cats - plenty of exercise for any old man - and I suspect that many of the modern day ills are brought about by sedentary lifestyle rather than dietary failure, or a lack of supplements, but that's wholly personal opinion.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
In the past I did take gummy vitamins. I took vitamin C and D because people told me that I wouldn't get sick from the kids during cold and flu season when I was teaching preschool and there are germs all over the place in school.

I tried taking a multivitamin but I kept throwing it up, but I was able to take a gummy vitamin.

Now I don't really take anything because I don't know if I need it. There's no point in taking a supplement unless you are deficient in something. I haven't been to a doctor since I was in high school. But I am going to find a PCP now that I am not moving around anymore, and I'd like to get a baseline and know what my cholesterol is and my blood pressure and all those good things.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I munch a handful.

Turmeric - Anti-inflammatory, other
Cinnamon - Blood sugar, other
Iron - kidney failure anemia
CoQ10 - Heart health, other
Glucosamine Chondroitin - Bad knees
Preservision with AREDS2- Macular degeneration
Garlic - Heart health and joint pain
Sodium bicarbonate - Kidney problems
Magnesium - Nighttime leg cramps
D3 - General
Senior adult multivitamin
Krill oil - General

Add to that 11 prescription meds and I'm a walking pharmacy. I get full just taking my meds.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

recently, i've started looking into protein powders. i consider myself 'protein challenged', as in i generally don't get enough protein when left to my own preferences. i do make a good effort at having enough protein daily though, and have gotten into the routine of keeping mental tabs on how much i've had as i work through each day. but i also think it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some protein, and protein powder seems the easiest way -- it can be mixed into water/milk/other liquids, sprinkled on cereal, and i think you can even add it when making baked goods (i know it can be added to the homemade granola recipe i use).

so for today's Question of the Day, let's talk about supplements!

Do you take any supplements?

i'll start!

i take an over the counter iron supplement, not daily but more 'as needed'. and as i say, i'm looking into adding protein powder.

how about you?
Please be very careful with protein powders. Some of them are full of impurities and some don't contain what they claim. In addition, there are several forms of protein that function differently. Some are absorbed slowly, others quickly. Prices vary dramatically, too.

PM me if you'd like to see what ConsumerLab has to say. They're an independent testing laboratory for supplements. They're highly respected for their reports.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I take a multivitamin most days, I sometimes forget. Since I have started going back into the office for work again I drink a meal replacement shake for breakfast on weekdays. It has vitamins and protein in it, it's one called 18shake, I think it is only available online.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I practically never go into the sun so I was extremely deficient.
My mother is a mail carrier. Full time, out in the sun all the time, summer and winter. She doesn't wear sunscreen or long sleeves or a hat, although she does wear long pants (says nobody wants to see her pasty white legs, lol). And the last time she was at the doctor they said her vitamin D levels were dangerously low! I think the sun doesn't work very well this far north.

I'm pretty lax on taking any supplements. I have chewable multivitamin, calcium + D, and turmeric, liquid iron and b-complex, and magnesium tablets. I take them at various times depending how I feel and what mood I'm in. Probably not consistently enough to see any benefit or harm.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There's an old saying, "you are what you eat!" I try to get protein, etc. from my choice of food. However, I do have a sweet tooth and admit to indulging on more than one occasion. :wink: I take a daily women's vitamin formulated by a doctor but that's it.

My parents and grandparents cooked wholesome food void of GMO's, hormones, pesticides, etc. because they were relatively non-existent. I don't ever remember seeing them take any supplements.