Purraise
Hello and Happy Saturday!!

What was your most unfortunate hair disaster? I cut my own. nuff said

what about you?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
10 years old in Kenya,1973…somewhere…maybe 3 small grass huts. I came out crying cos they’d literally put a bowl on my head and cut around it. Now, looking back on it, I don’t blame them a single whit, since this might have been one of the first white kids whose hair the barber had ever cut.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 years old in Kenya,1973…somewhere…maybe 3 small grass huts. I came out crying cos they’d literally put a bowl on my head and cut around it. Now, looking back on it, I don’t blame them a single whit, since this might have been one of the first white kids whose hair the barber had ever cut.
Wow, an actual basin cut!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another one cutting my own hair. The stylist makes it look so easy so I tried myself. During the pandemic when the salons were closed my hair got really bad because it does not grow out nice. I did not try to cut it myself though, I knew that would be far worse than trying to cut it myself.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Back in the day when perms were a thing, I'd just had mine done. They drummed into you that you mustn't wash your hair for several days. Unfortunately I mistook the shower cleaner for hair conditioning spray and so it was sort of essential. Not a good look. :(

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well now...When I was a kid, I had straight hair. As I got a bit older, just at puberty, my hair started to wave and kink and it always looked like I didn't brush it. I struggled with it every morning trying to get it to lay nice. At this time, my hair was sitting just at my shoulders. My Mom suggested I get layers put in to help bring out the waves that obviously were trying to come out. The stylist started cutting away and with every cut my hair would spring right up. I walked into the salon with shoulder length messy kinky hair and walked out with a fro on the top of my head! No joke, a tightly curled fro just plopped on the top of my head!!! I looked ridiculous. :frown: I cried a lot and it too a long while for me to figure out how to take care of it. And due to the length and the lack of weight of my hair, (I'm quite fair with baby fine blond hair) as it grew out....it just grew up and out, so for a couple years my fro just got bigger and bigger and was just a frizzy nest. Not a good look for a 12-14 year old, when the style at the time was long straight "hippy" hair. People made fun of me because they didn't believe that I didn't get a perm and that is was just my natural hair. And I get it though, at the end of grade six I had straight hair...I come back for the first day of grade 7 with a fro....who does that!!! They would compare it to a certain other type of hair that humans have "below the waist".
Anyway, from that point forward...I never cut my hair again and have been letting it grow as long as I can get it. I'm fine with my hair now. My curls are beautiful and pretty well every one will comment (good things) on my hair. It's still a pain in the butt to care for but it suits me. The only problem is for the past few years my hair has been falling out from stress...it's not permanent and will eventually grow back but I kinda have to start from scratch to get my hair shape back.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom cutting my bangs as a child. They were usually quite crooked. At this point I feel like I have bangs ptsd and will never have them again, even if my forehead is a bit high.

Even worse at 19 I decided to donate my hair, and we went to Great clips and I ended up with chin length hair when all was said and done. And somehow I didn't notice right away it was completely lopsided with one side longer than the other - I only noticed on vacation and we had to wait until we got home to fix it. I swore off chain hair cut places then, and have only gone to salons since.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a teenager, I trimmed my own bangs but I cut them too short. I was embarrassed by it, so I used hair gel to slick back my hair (it probably looked really, really greasy as a result) until it grew out some more. I cut my own hair now because I have a pixie cut and it's expensive to get it trimmed as often as I would need to. It doesn't look too terrible when I buzz it off, but I can't wait until I get a new job and reward myself with a visit to my stylist (and also get a matching tattoo with my sister).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can safely say I have never cut my own hair. My aunt used to do my bangs and trims until my late uncle became a barber in his brother’s shop. They had a side for both men and women plus a nail shop so we were set as a family.

The disaster came when my mom decided we needed matching cuts. It was 1990ish and I was in elementary school. It was what today we’d call a permed pixie. I called it a boy-cut! No offense to boys or girls who like their hair short; but I am not a boy. :cringe: Come to think of it; it was pretty similar to how grandma wore her hair too. I don’t think that was done at the family salon. Maybe they would have refused to do that to me.:lol:

That is when my obsession with long hair started. ;) It was below my waist in middle school and often mid back the rest of the time. I still don’t like it above my shoulders.

We have a picture of me pouting with longer permed hair when I was a little younger too. :disappointed:Gram did that one. I liked it once the curls weren’t so tight. But at first….no!:lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I was just starting eighth grade, I had hair way down my back. It was really long and curly. I kept it clean and it was always combed and not messy at all. But Mom hated it. One day, she took me to a beauty shop for a "trim". It took two stylists and my mother to hold me down in the chair. And I ended up with the shortest hair I've ever seen on anybody. My ears were out and the back of my hair wasn't even down to my collar. My bangs....well, I didn't have any. It was horrible. I think that even the stylists knew they went too far, but they had to do what my mother wanted. Of course, my mother loved it. I cried the whole way home.

Got into the house. Dad took one look at me and the eruption started. He was furious. Just furious. They yelled at each other for well over a day. Mom said she was tired of my hair and enough was enough. She always liked short hair. Dad wanted to get a wig for me. I was a kid. You don't do that to a kid. You just don't. It's bad enough just getting by when you're a kid. Who does that?

I got on the bus for school. Everyone just stared. And then started laughing. Rick was appalled. And furious. And, of course, I had to get my school picture taken looking like that. To make it worse, she got me cat's eye dark-framed glasses. I have no idea what she was trying to do to me, but she thought it was adorable. I don't think I willingly spoke to her for well over a month.

Interestingly, my sister wore her hair long. And she was fine.

To this day, the shortest I will ever have my hair is shoulder-length. And even that makes me nervous. You just don't do that. It can really leave lasting effects. Yeah, hair grows back. But a kid? For god's sake.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, a haircut and perm back in the early 90’s when everyone was getting “spiral” perms. The cut was bad, the perm was worse and I did not have curls as much as hair that seemed to stand on end in a sort of a Bride of Frankenstein way. I tried to convince myself it wasn’t really that bad but when I stopped for lunch and overheard ladies at another table talking about how terrible it looked I really did cry.

There was nothing to do for months but live with it until it grew out enough to start cutting the frizz off. It was probably well over a year before it looked considerably better and another year to get rid of most of it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After all the things I've done or had done to my hair over the years,starting back in the mid 60's,I can't think of one bad situation that was a result.I can remember one time,and I was young,so maybe '58,'59 or '60...my Mom was on a home perm kick,and both my sister and I got one.Hers looked pretty good as I recall,but mine was just as frizzy as if I'd stuck my finger in a light socket.Oh horrid!As soon as it grew out some,she took me to Ferdinand's in Poughkeepsie,NY and I got my first pixie.