Question of the Day, Saturday, July 29

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Let's talk about sleep. How much sleep do you get during a night? Is it enough? What time do you go to sleep and when do you awaken?

I'm having a terrible time right now with my sleep patterns. I can't seem to get enough sleep anymore. Molli and I usually go to bed around 8:00, but we watch TV while hanging out on my iPad until midnight or so. Rick and I take turns getting up with the girls in the morning. We usually get up around 6:30 - 7:00 to give them breakfast. Whoever didn't get up usually sleeps until 8:30 or so.

If I awaken around 2 or 3:00 to use the bathroom, then it will take me a good hour or two to get back to sleep. The girls will visit, on the off chance that they might get a very early breakfast. And I just toss and turn. It seems that I'm exhausted all the time now.

How's your sleep? Getting enough?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've had trouble sleeping for the past few years, until the past month. I've only had one bad night. I've slept so well for the other nights. I finally have my old energy back. I think you need to establish a pattern when you go to bed. I've read that reading electronic screens before you go to bed makes it harder to wind down and fall asleep. I have a large male cat who massages my legs for about 20 minutes while I'm laying in bed (he's resumed this since Oksana has been sleeping downstairs. The other cats are scared of her, so they stopped sleeping with me). I find this relaxing, and I've been drifting off to sleep quickly.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I need about eight hours. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don’t. On good nights like last night, I am asleep within minutes, wake up for bathroom stop once and sleep until 7:30 or so. But on bad nights like night before last it takes two hours to fall asleep, then I sleep for an hour and back awake again and repeat the cycle the remainder of the night. It’s frustrating.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sleeping habits are absolutely horrible due to me having a condition known as exploding head syndrome... I also experience horrible night terrors. In an average night I might get 4 hours of sleep all broken I'm always exhausted..

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't sleep well and haven't in quite a while. If I am lucky I will get 5 or 6 hours. My natural sleep cycle is to go to bed really early, like 6 p.m. and get up at 2 or 2:30 in the morning. When I was younger I could go against that natural cycle and get enough sleep but now that I am older that is no longer possible. I should just give into it and go with that natural cycle.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My husband teases that I could fall asleep anywhere. :biggrin: I swear it runs in the family from my parents to my sister and myself. I usually go to bed about 10:30 p.m. but if Carleton falls asleep next to me on the couch I don't have the heart to disturb him. I normally get between 6-8 hrs. of sleep.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't sleep well and haven't in quite a while. If I am lucky I will get 5 or 6 hours. My natural sleep cycle is to go to bed really early, like 6 p.m. and get up at 2 or 2:30 in the morning. When I was younger I could go against that natural cycle and get enough sleep but now that I am older that is no longer possible. I should just give into it and go with that natural cycle.
:yeah:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go through spells. Sometimes all I want to do is sleep.
Other times (like this past week), I didn't eat or sleep for 48 hours. I think the season has a lot to do with it. If it's cold, I want to sleep. But when it's hot with bugs, I don't sleep hardly at all.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My sleep weather forecast depends on the health of my cat, and the MOON…when it’s full I’m just up. Liking the idea of the siesta, and think it should be an official thing here in the US.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally go to bed between 10:45 to 11:30 depending on how much I'm putting off sleep. I have a 6:40 alarm to feed the cats and go back to snooze until my second alarm at 7:15.

I'm generally up a few times at night to either use the bathroom and/or feed M. Fortunately, I fall back asleep fairly quickly.

I really should go to bed earlier.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually get seven or eight hours, but I always wake at sun so it's much worse in summer. Main trouble is I never get uninterrupted sleep. Between nocturia and sometimes being on edge if Daisy hasn't done a poo in a day, my sleep is usually broken.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bedtime is 10 and I will usually fall asleep just after 11, but sometimes later. I'll wake up, a couple times in the night, but usually fall back asleep quickly. Then depending on how rambunctious the cats are, starting at around 5 or so, but between 5 and 7 is when I keep waking up and dosing off. I get up around 7. So I'm in bed from 10pm to 7am, so 9 hours, but only get about 7 hours of (interrupted) sleep.
I should just give into it and go with that natural cycle.
I watched a documentary about sleep one time and they did an experiment, based on actual research and studies. Basically you can help reset your sleep wake cycle by working around the actual sun. But it takes quite a commitment. When the sun goes down, you go to bed and you let the sun wake you in the morning and get up with it.
They did take into account with winter months when there is not as much sun, so didn't do it then, but you were to start your reset in the spring, perhaps by the winter you won't have to go by the sun as much.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My sleep cycle has been messed up for years. I have to be up early (5:30-6:00AM) 365 days a year, so there's that too.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sleep cycle has been messed up for years. I have to be up early (5:30-6:00AM) 365 days a year, so there's that too.
This sounds like my daddy's schedule when he was working he had to be up at 4 am leave the house by 445 be at work at 6 am back home by 730 pm he would be in bed by 11pm.. since he stopped working he is still on this schedule although he does take a nap during the day..

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sleep. Ugh.

I usually go to bed around 10:30-11pm. I fall asleep really fast but staying asleep is an issue.

Between dealing with frozen shoulder for well over a year now which is utterly excruciatingly painful (tho maybe it's finally starting to calm down), having to pee at least once a night, getting too hot/cold, night terrors and other assorted issues, staying asleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time is just not possible. Sometimes I go into our guest room because I find switching location helps - same for my husband, who also suffers from poor sleep.

I wake up normally around 7:00am or so depending on how long the cats let us sleep. If they are good, I can sometimes manage until 8am. I kind of feel like my nights are comprised of 2-3 naps, not really restful sleep.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Let's talk about sleep. How much sleep do you get during a night? Is it enough? What time do you go to sleep and when do you awaken?

I'm having a terrible time right now with my sleep patterns. I can't seem to get enough sleep anymore. Molli and I usually go to bed around 8:00, but we watch TV while hanging out on my iPad until midnight or so. Rick and I take turns getting up with the girls in the morning. We usually get up around 6:30 - 7:00 to give them breakfast. Whoever didn't get up usually sleeps until 8:30 or so.

If I awaken around 2 or 3:00 to use the bathroom, then it will take me a good hour or two to get back to sleep. The girls will visit, on the off chance that they might get a very early breakfast. And I just toss and turn. It seems that I'm exhausted all the time now.

How's your sleep? Getting enough?
I never sleep the whole night. I am up and down all night. I have always been this way so I am constantly tired. I can so relate

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not much really i cant sleep more than a few hours each time now with all this heat i wake up around 3 am or so open up patio door to cool things off then just take a good nap during the day when i have ac running

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say I really don't sleep worth a hoot anymore.I'm lucky to get 4 or maybe 5 hours.