Question of The Day. Saturday 9th of May.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live near Binghamton. This year the daffodils got pounded and I am suprized they didn't die from frost. Leaves are just beginning to bud. At this rate we may have spring by July. I swear that bumper sticker "I LOVE NY" is said with a heavy dose of sarcasm. EXTREMELY heavy. The snow all but melted today and now for a few more cool days. Many years we snow right up to the day the temp finally hits 90 (yeah, I am overstating due to my disgust). When I lived in Minnesota, there was a commercial I used to see taking about the weather there. Lady is smiling looking out her window at flowers and birds while the announcer talks. Then all at once (whomp!) 12 inches of snow in a matter of seconds while her face goes to a flabbergasted look....that's upstate NY (The Great White North). Why did I move back here?????
Tell me; is the Spot restaurant still in business? It was (is?) on rt 11 just north of Binghamton. We usually ate there when we were in town. Also, I used to have relatives in Johnson City, but they all passed years ago.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
There are heaps of flowers I love, but very few that I can grow, as my soil is so sandy. I used to dislike geraniums, mainly because when the flower dies it looks all spidery :lol: but I'm way over that now... just trim them!!
I wish this photo did justice to my huge pink geranium that flowered for the first time this year.. it's not as 'fresh' and you don't get the idea of size, but they are stunning:
geranium.JPG

And the lovely velvety reds:
geranium red.JPG

About 15 years ago I bought a pink double impatiens from a roadside stall. It grows so easily from cuttings, so everyone I know now has one, and I have four growing at the moment. I love the fact that that one tiny plant has given so much pleasure. They look like tiny roses..
impatiens.JPG

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
mani mani , those impatiens are gorgeous. I envy you your climate. They are annuals here because of our temps and those big ones are really expensive but I do buy the little ones (about six inches high) every summer. They are easy to care for and look beautiful all summer.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Or like little camellias! I should look around and see if I can get one like that. Is it potted or in the ground?
I keep them in pots.. they don't do so well in the ground. It's a simply stunning plant and always gets a comment. I wish I could send you some! I just trim them, put a whole lot of cuttings in water and off they go. Same with you susanm9006 susanm9006 ... I think the little one I bought on the side of the road all those years ago was $1.50 :lol:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tell me; is the Spot restaurant still in business? It was (is?) on rt 11 just north of Binghamton. We usually ate there when we were in town. Also, I used to have relatives in Johnson City, but they all passed years ago.
I have not been there but, it looks like it is still around. I wonder how many will still be in business after this craziness is over. Como zoo will probably be gone now....
The Spot Restaurant
Como Zoo

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is about 4 hours from here. It's supposed to warm up this week, but I'm doubting it. It's only 41 degrees right now.
I still have some Minnesota in me....I said Como Zoo...that's in Mn....here it's Ross Park Zoo. Guess Minnesota made a BIG impression on me.....I lived there for 21 years. I played guitar music for a wedding in the conservatory there way back in the early 1980's.
Springsunkengarden-460x459.jpg

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mother's Day in Upstate NY 2020. The Great White North where you can enjoy 6 months or more of winter (why did I move back here????) All told we got 3 inches of the white crap!

This is what I normally see looking out that window.
DSCN8203.JPG