Question of The Day. Saturday 9th of May.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

:wave3:

I've been doing a lot of gardening lately, so I thought we'd have a garden related question.

Do you have a favourite flower? Do you have much success growing them? What flowers do you plant around your house or in your window boxes?

My garden is kind of wild looking, so I like flowers that look like they can survive among all the native plants. I really like tall flowers, I think fox gloves and lupines are so pretty.

1589084780148.png

I have a lot of luck with petunias too. There aren't many flowers that will tolerate our hot, wet summers, but petunia are pretty forgiving, so they're one of my faves. And they come in so many colours!

1589084981032.png
1589085009269.png
1589085025651.png

What flowers do you like?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite flower is the iris, closely followed but the tulip and peony. I have not tried growing irises or peonies, but I will one day. Tulips were already in our yard when we moved in a few years ago.

Foxgloves and lupins are lovely! I have no luck with either.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilacs! I have 2 bushes of “yankee doodle” lilacs. One bush isn’t looking very well right now but we will see what it does this year.
A931204D-7BD7-47FF-8E5E-1D17B17C7A0E.jpeg

I also love calibrachoa! They are so pretty with all the flowers and they come in so many colors! Petunias are also a favorite. Garden centers are dangerous places for me. I always find pretty flowers I want to plant!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coneflowers- we have 5 varieties planted- clematis, phlox, delphiniums, Stella 'd Oro, assorted hostas, plus tulips, daffodils, sedums, tiger lilies, a couple of holly bushes, a perennial called 'Storm Cloud', dwarf crocus, and a few others whose names escape me at the moment.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite is usually whatever is blooming at the moment.;) I do love Iris, especially the Siberians ones, roses, camellias, and delpiniums. I absolutely have NO LUCK with lupines, although I think they are gorgeous. Roses tend to be expensive annuals for me here in the north, but when I lived in Florida I had a rose garden (20-25 plants). I have never had a camellia, but have found there are some that are hardy in my zone. I also love peonies and desperately want a yellow Itoh Peony that I saw a photo of awhile back. But it is $$$.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had peonies blooming when we moved here and when I transferred them to another spot I was worried they wouldn't grow back. Not only did they grow back but they flourished. I love tulips and added to the ones that were already here but the squirrels had other ideas and dug the bulbs up. :nono:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had peonies blooming when we moved here and when I transferred them to another spot I was worried they wouldn't grow back. Not only did they grow back but they flourished. I love tulips and added to the ones that were already here but the squirrels had other ideas and dug the bulbs up. :nono:
That's one of the advantages of having feral cats hanging around- they discourage the squirrels.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just live in HELL I guess. Our weather yesterday....bah humbug spring! white out! Got about 3 inches of the crap! Close to summer but, winter still doesn't want to leave...like I say, I live in the "Great White North"! I was not in my right mind to want to move back here! We need to pack a lot into a short amount of time to enjoy summer here.
DSCN8273.JPG

DSCN8276.JPG

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just live in HELL I guess. Our weather yesterday....bah humbug spring! white out! Got about 3 inches of the crap!
You must live near me! I tried to take my walk outside and I got snowed on! After 6 months of cold weather, I'm ready for this to be over! It has been cold since November 1st. We need some sun.

I don't really care much about flowers. I don't have them inside because Demi & Maggie will eat any plant. Maybe someday I will grow them outside, but right now I'm just not interested in them. I prefer vegetable gardens.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good morning.

:wave3:

I've been doing a lot of gardening lately, so I thought we'd have a garden related question.

Do you have a favourite flower? Do you have much success growing them? What flowers do you plant around your house or in your window boxes?

My garden is kind of wild looking, so I like flowers that look like they can survive among all the native plants. I really like tall flowers, I think fox gloves and lupines are so pretty.

View attachment 333575

I have a lot of luck with petunias too. There aren't many flowers that will tolerate our hot, wet summers, but petunia are pretty forgiving, so they're one of my faves. And they come in so many colours!

View attachment 333578 View attachment 333579 View attachment 333580

What flowers do you like?
That's one of the advantages of having feral cats hanging around- they discourage the squirrels.
NY cat man can you tell me how to get rid of tree squirrels that love to eat fruit & vegetables; cause I've seen them walking off with entire orange in mouth! hahaha No guns allowed to shoot the fancy tailed things in my town, German Shepard tries, but cannot climb trees so quickly like the "tree rats" not indigenous here. Hose on jet squirt does not work either. Must put cages around each individual pomegranate in order to have any. O, the foolish person who brought them here thinking so cute!!! Has no predator.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I adore just about every plant and flower there is; wild, tangled, creeping, swaying and dancing on the breeze. One can grow anything here almost and my Mother, when I was little girl, gave each child part of the orchard to be their duty to weed out the thorns & plant whatever they wanted. No other sibling did it but me. Mother always said "don't buy me any flowers unless they have roots on them". If I had to pick a favorite, its tough, but I'll choose roses. I planted over 50 rose bushes at my Mothers' home. I planted artichokes, and avocados, redwood trees and lilacs and too many more things to name. I'm still a plantin fool and I cannot stop. Must have more, more, more. I've planted trees near creeks and bridal paths and walking paths and streets, even freeways. I'd love to show you pics, but I have no known way (yet) to do so. hahaha It is so much fun, and so delicious, I love viola odorata queen charlotte to just pick and eat & smell. I use many recipes adding flowers & rose petals to them, also bachelor buttons good for eating. I think I'm gonna go order some more roses just thinking about it right now. Great question. I Love all of your answers and pictures. ♥ :silver: 🌺 🏵🌹

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NY cat man can you tell me how to get rid of tree squirrels that love to eat fruit & vegetables; cause I've seen them walking off with entire orange in mouth! hahaha No guns allowed to shoot the fancy tailed things in my town, German Shepard tries, but cannot climb trees so quickly like the "tree rats" not indigenous here. Hose on jet squirt does not work either. Must put cages around each individual pomegranate in order to have any. O, the foolish person who brought them here thinking so cute!!! Has no predator.
Like I said, the cats discourage them- I have seen the remains of more than one squirrel that wasn't fast enough. After a while, they take the hint and go elsewhere, although I still see a few now and then. If that doesn't work, you could probably try live trapping them, using peanut butter for bait, and relocating them. There are also repellents you can spray around your plants to deter deer, rabbits, squirrels, skunks, and other critters.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You must live near me! I tried to take my walk outside and I got snowed on! After 6 months of cold weather, I'm ready for this to be over! It has been cold since November 1st. We need some sun.

I don't really care much about flowers. I don't have them inside because Demi & Maggie will eat any plant. Maybe someday I will grow them outside, but right now I'm just not interested in them. I prefer vegetable gardens.
I live near Binghamton. This year the daffodils got pounded and I am suprized they didn't die from frost. Leaves are just beginning to bud. At this rate we may have spring by July. I swear that bumper sticker "I LOVE NY" is said with a heavy dose of sarcasm. EXTREMELY heavy. The snow all but melted today and now for a few more cool days. Many years we snow right up to the day the temp finally hits 90 (yeah, I am overstating due to my disgust). When I lived in Minnesota, there was a commercial I used to see taking about the weather there. Lady is smiling looking out her window at flowers and birds while the announcer talks. Then all at once (whomp!) 12 inches of snow in a matter of seconds while her face goes to a flabbergasted look....that's upstate NY (The Great White North). Why did I move back here?????