Question Of The Day. Saturday 8th of February.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At one of those all inclusive hotels where you just stay in the resort all the time and don't explore the rest of the place. My friend's mother feels the exact opposite of me, however, and my friend has often said she's actually made some friends who were staying in the hotel and they went out to explore the neighbourhood and local attractions together because they were fed up of seeing the same pool and beaches all the time. I also hate overly enthusiastic tour guides and also groups of large people. I don't like tour guided holidays in general though, because I feel they're too restricted as I like wandering around.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind cruises. We did one for our honeymoon, and yeah, we only got to spend a day in each place, but going as far as Australia when we didn't know if we'd have a chance to go back, it was nice not having to spend half our trip checking in and out of hotels. I did Hawaii as a cruise as well and that was convenient. And an Alaska one at 19. And a boat that wasn't quite a cruise for Antarctica, which was a group of marathoners and extremely fun.

Cruise line does matter. I used Norwegian for Hawaii and they had great showd and a hula dance class and fun stuff. We were on Holland America for Australia, and the stuff offered was geared to an older crowd than honeymooners. But the excursions were pretty good. And unlike being stuck in a car, I could walk around going from place to place.

That said, I've done plenty of build your own adventure vacations, and they're fun, too.

Worst for me would just be going to the same place every year. Like the people that just do Disney every year. The world is too big and while I'll go back places I've been. I want variety.

Also, toilets are great.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In high school, I went to Florida on a marching band trip and about half the band got the stomach flu. I remember the exact moment I saved myself from getting it though. Someone was handing out vitamin C and using the same water bottle (I know, stupid, right?) and I told her, "I don't share water," and went to a drinking fountain to take the vitamin C. Everyone got the flu who drank from that water bottle. It was like the Broad Street pump during the cholera epidemic. So that would have been a terrible vacation if I had gotten sick, but I actually had a pretty good time.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cruises are out for me. There's no way I'm paying to be stranded out at sea with thousands of strange humans and trapped in a tiny cabin. Nope.

Going to any place that attracts large groups of children.
A long bus trip.
Any very congested/crowded city and trying to navigate it in a car.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not one for traveling, but a cruise would be an awful waste of money for me. When I go on vacation I like to see historic sites, museums, art galleries and scenic landscapes. Not a ton of crowds. Need modern facilities (no camping for me!). I remember the vacation from Hades we had when the kids were young. We were going to visit my brother in law near Washington DC and see the Smithsonian, as well as go to Hershey Park on the way home. The car gave us trouble on the New Jersey Turnpike. It would go about 15 miles and quit. We would have to sit awhile and then it would start again. Finally about 25 miles from my brother in laws it died and wouldn't start. He came and got us. We had the car towed to a dealer. Since it was 4th of July weekend no one could look at it until Monday or Tuesday. We rented a car, got our hotel and went on with vacation. However, we had a theft from out hotel room. My kids had a bag of change (around $40-50) that they had earned from a tag sale. Even though I told them not to leave it in the room, they did. When it disappeared I informed the manager and he didn't care. We changed hotels. One of my sons got food poisoning and threw up in the rental car (white interior). When the computer in the car was fixed, we ALL just wanted to come home!