Question Of The Day. Saturday 26th Of May.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi everyone. :hellosmiley:

Have you been to many foreign countries? Which was your favourite one? Were there any places that you really didn't like?

I've mainly traveled in Asian and South American countries. My two favourite were Mongolia, for the scenery, wildlife and horses, and Easter Island. Easter Island was interesting because of the Moai statues, but the whole island was pretty impressive.

The only place I didn't like was China. It's noisy, dirty, hectic and just full of people. I don't ever want to go there again.

How about you, have you been to any great or not-so-great countries?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, boy.

I was an army brat, born in Germany when it was still divided, and also lived in Italy and Belgium. I've also been to Austria, Luxembourg, Spain, France, the Netherlands, and the UK.

I have wonderful memories of Italy, but apparently it's a good thing I was only there as a kid. My parents' memories are . . . different, because they were able to see the more unsavory aspects and understand exactly what was going on. It's probably best that I not ruin my good memories by going back.

I didn't like Belgium because we rarely saw the sun in the area we lived in. It was a bit depressing.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I live in the U.S. I've been to Mexico (great beaches and shopping), Canada (I loved Vancouver Island), The Netherlands (wonderful people, almost all of whom spoke English, and very green countryside even in December), and Great Britain (Stonehenge, the British Museum, the Uffington White Horse, the Science Museum, the underground). I loved all of them, and I came away from Great Britain with a huge number of new books, including the British edition of what was then the newest Discworld book: Hogfather. I was astonished to discover that it was easier to communicate in The Netherlands than in Great Britain, because there are so many immigrants, with so many different accents, in Great Britain.

Margret

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, boy.

I was an army brat, born in Germany when it was still divided, and also lived in Italy and Belgium. I've also been to Austria, Luxembourg, Spain, France, the Netherlands, and the UK.

I have wonderful memories of Italy, but apparently it's a good thing I was only there as a kid. My parents' memories are . . . different, because they were able to see the more unsavory aspects and understand exactly what was going on. It's probably best that I not ruin my good memories by going back.

I didn't like Belgium because we rarely saw the sun in the area we lived in. It was a bit depressing.
I agree about (the weather in) Belgium, Katie M Katie M :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've been to Canada and England. Canada as a child and England as an adult. I have fond memories of both but obviously remember more about my trip to the UK as an adult.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been to quite a few different countries. I think every place has its wonderful and not so wonderful aspects. I have to say, one of my favorite places on Earth is Barcelona. I just went there for the fourth time in February. I never get tired of it.

I'm traveling to the Galapagos Islands this fall. It's supposed to have some of the best wildlife viewing the world, and I can't wait to see it.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love travelling and have been to quite a lot of places so far. I'd say my favourite is definitely Spain; I just love Spanish food and culture, the language is lovely and the people are always very friendly and warm. I really love Morocco too though for similar reasons to Spain.
I was quite disappointed with Tunisia - I was expecting it to be quite like Morocco since the countries are very near to each other, but the food was rather unexciting and there wasn't much to see either. I'm glad that I went but I don't think I'd necessarily go there again.
I was really impressed with Israel and Palestine as well. I visited Israel last October and spent a day in Palestine (Bethlehem) and loved both countries. I've heard lots of things (all the political issues aside) about the personalities of many Israelis but everyone who I met there was incredibly friendly and I was made to feel very at home there. I'd love to visit again (though next time I'd like to stay in the northern part of Israel, as I visited Tel Aviv and Jerusalem in October but I'd like to stay in Nazareth and the Sea of Galilee next).

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been around, but not as many places as I'd like yet. Not counting just layovers in ABC order:

Antarctica, Argentina, Canada, China, Croatia, England, France, Germany, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Slovakia (technically a layover, but I was there a day and went to a mall so I'm counting it), Spain, Switzerland and Vatican City. I think.

My worst experience was actually a layover of sorts. My family drove through a bit of Austria between Switzerland and Germany, not realizing we needed to buy some kind of pass and got held up by border patrol on a 100 degree day by a guard whose thumbnail was black and rotten and disgusting. I need to give Austria a second chance someday.

As far as love, I really felt a connection in Croatia, I think because I'm about a quarter Croatian myself and it was special to see a country of my ancestry.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, boy.

Argh, I managed to forget that the Vatican is its own country too :doh:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't get to travel to as many places as most Navy brats. My dad managed to stay stationed in San Diego for a long time, and once we got to Japan he liked it and kept requesting Japan assignments. So basically only Japan. We had layovers in a lot of places but I don't think just seeing the airport terminal counts ;). Most of my friends had been stationed in Germany and Guam and Australia. . .but my dad is a creature of habit :/.

Japan is mostly very nice. Tokyo is EXTREMELY crowded but nearly everybody is polite and it's as clean as they can manage with those kinds of crowds. Not like NYC, lol---the week I visited NYC they were having a garbage collectors' strike. Not a good first impression!

I've been to Mexico and Canada too, but only just over the border in the tourist areas---Juarez, Tijuana, Niagara Falls.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a big travel person. I've been to Mexico twice and Canada twice also I think. Both Canada trips were when I was a kid. I enjoyed both places. Both Mexico trips were on cruises. So I don't think I really got a feel for local culture beyond tourism.

I'm not very comfortable with the idea of traveling where I don't understand the language. I think it's only polite to try to learn some before you go visit another country. Maybe in a tour group I'd feel more comfortable. I'd love to see ancient Roman and Greek ruins. The Holy Land too. Any ancient architecture is fascinating really. :agree: One of my ex-stepbrothers is a photographer and did some traveling this spring. He visited Naples so he was able to see Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius. I loved the pictures! :loveeyes:

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never been outside the US but I always thought it would be amazing to visit Scotland.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. :hellosmiley:

Have you been to many foreign countries? Which was your favourite one? Were there any places that you really didn't like?

I've mainly traveled in Asian and South American countries. My two favourite were Mongolia, for the scenery, wildlife and horses, and Easter Island. Easter Island was interesting because of the Moai statues, but the whole island was pretty impressive.

The only place I didn't like was China. It's noisy, dirty, hectic and just full of people. I don't ever want to go there again.

How about you, have you been to any great or not-so-great countries?
Jamaica and Mexico. I love both. Many problems, of course, and it's complicated as to why, but they are wonderful, beautiful lands with many very welcoming, wise people.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, on account of my father's job (Engineer/Physicist) I've been to India, China, Taiwan, Hawaii, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Finland, Hong Kong, UK, Japan, Australia. There were some more, but that when I was a tiny baby - I'd have to check my wee little passport that I still have. Baby travels wouldn't count so much as those were the ones I don't remember, other than seeing the piccies.

Random fact: My teddy bear had it's own 'passport'. I know, I was sooo cool :lol:it was fun since airport workers actually stamped it for me. Wonder if they would do that today now? In any case, still have that teddy passport too!

As a grown up I've been to Austria, Czech Republic, Ireland and Northern Ireland. And of course the U.S :) this summer I am heading to Italy.

As a kid, I really liked Finland (Family was there afterall! And was kind of nice to be around lovely nature, people who look like me, and have similar temperaments). Japan was kind of nice too, Japanese were quite sweet to me, often playing with me even while waiting at the airport during my younger years there.

Least favourite, probably China/Hong Kong as well. There were some really tricky parts - from seeing "Dog" on the menu to my uncles oncology clinic (There was a high rate of lung cancer due to lot's of smoking) in a rural era constantly having to deal with people who were getting rid of baby girls, dead or alive. A bit worse when we were in India. One of the factors on why I am such an advocate today, and admittedly very sensitive! If I hear a peep otherwise, I'll defend the rights and true beauty of having daughters to death. Or at least, that it doesn't matter what gender offspring or anything else for that matter is. There was a problem at some point when many folks there only wanted male pets for example :doh:

It isn't an overall thing of course, and there were many really cool people there and I reckon many things have progressed, but nevertheless.

Saudi Arabia was not dandy. It is pretty much hell being of female gender there, let alone other disturbing issues. Long story.

For favourite as an adult, I'd say Ireland. I was very comfortable there, lovely nature, really cool people, interesting history. And being half Irish, it was a special time to be able to honour my late grandpapa.

Least favourite as an adult...mmm, Vienna has a lot to offer and I saw interesting things, but I fell like it fell short on the overall grandeur. It was my own wrongdoing really, as it is the one city where I fell for the tourist fantasy imagery for many years after seeing travel shows, pictures and beautiful elegant classical music concerts or balls on TV inside stunning glowing buildings. It was clean, but very clustered, somewhat chaotic and busy topography. Not this grandiose perfection. I'd even say, despite being smaller, Prague had a lot more architectural smoothness. The history and culture itself is pretty cool, for example, I got to see the crypt where Maria Theresa is! it was just the whole general aspect of the city. Still, I was happy that I went - I was happy with all my adult travels overall in any case.

The Viennese I met were quite friendly compared to the image of them being stuck up and cold. At least in my experience anyway!

Anyway, love travelling :thumbsup: