Question Of The Day. Saturday 23rd Of February

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
:hellosmiley:

I've noticed that I've been sneezing a lot lately. It doesn't feel like I have a cold and a few people have told me that pollen season has started already this year. I'm starting to wonder if I've developed a pollen allergy. I hope not, I live in the middle of a forest.

:evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::noob::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen::evergreen:

What are you allergic to?

As far as I know my only allergies are penicillin and shitake mushrooms. Hope I don't have to add cedar pollen to the list.

:popworm:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing really but I did have a bad experience once that must have been an allergic reaction to a certain ingredient. I was on holiday and bought some after Sun cream from a herbalist. I applied it all over then had the most awful itching sensation on every square inch of my body. It was so bad that I nearly went insane. After about twenty showers and a few hours it went away. It was unbearable and worse than the broken bones I've endured in the past.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing that I know of, I have never had an allergic reaction to anything. I am very fortunate, because I see those around me who suffer terribly!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Penicillin
Sulfa
Wool
Mohair
Cashmere
Angora
Lavender
Lots of pollen

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness Mia6 Mia6 , that is horrible! I feel for you! I woudl hate to be allergic to lavender, it is my favorite scent! (well, lilacs are really, but I can't wait around to smell them only in the spring!)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seasonal allergies that are worse in Spring and Fall (trees, grass, pollen, pretty much all of the ones that are high allergen). Since I started taking prescription allergy pills daily for the past 2 years, it's cut down on symptoms a lot. I also splurged on a couple of high end air purifiers for the house (one upstairs, one down). Sometimes if the pollen counts is extremely high or if it's really windy I do have trouble with breathing so I have an inhaler also.

I'm also allergic to cats as I found out, but not nearly as much as the outdoor stuff. I can kiss a cat belly with no issue!

No other problems, other than the skin of mangoes which has a chemical similar to poison ivy in it - many don't know this. I can't even look at it without getting hives LOL. Took me years to figure that one out - I lived in Florida and a neighbor had a mango tree that dropped fruit into my yard and I always wondered why I walked around all summer with rashes on my face. Then I moved back to NJ - where at that time, years ago, mangoes weren't as common in the markets as they are now, I stopped eating them. Then, they started showing up and as soon as I had one again - BINGO. My face swelled up. So now, the only way I can eat a mango is if someone else peels it for me and every inch of skin is removed. Even the smallest remnant, if it touches my face will make me blow up. I tend to not eat them with my hands any longer either because of that - only with a fork or drinking them such as in a lassi/shake.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness Mia6 Mia6 , that is horrible! I feel for you! I woudl hate to be allergic to lavender, it is my favorite scent! (well, lilacs are really, but I can't wait around to smell them only in the spring!)
Yes, it is bad. I feel like Puffs should send me a check for the amount I go through.
I get congested when I am snuggling with my Callie girl, but I put Vicks under my nose and that helps.

I've had to go to er twice because of Poison Ivy; when I get it it's horrendous.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only allergic reaction I have had so far was to a brown spider bite. It was quick and pretty severe. I had the giant hives and problems breathing. I went to the emergency room, they gave me a shot and the allergic reaction part went away as fast as it started. It took a week of antibiotics for the brown spider bite to clear up.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
The only allergic reaction I have had so far was to a brown spider bite. It was quick and pretty severe. I had the giant hives and problems breathing. I went to the emergency room, they gave me a shot and the allergic reaction part went away as fast as it started. It took a week of antibiotics for the brown spider bite to clear up.
That sounds like it was from a brown recluse.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Seasonal allergies, e.g. pollen, mold, etc. plus cats and dogs. I remember when I saw an allergist and the test results were positive for cats and dogs, of which I had both. I was just curious which one of the two species I was more allergic to, not that I would have changed anything, and he replied, "which one do you like more?" With that I said, "never mind." ;)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Not an allergy exactly, but I’m extremely sensitive to the scent of almost all perfume. There’s something in perfume that makes me feel like I can’t breathe. I can breathe, I just find it very unpleasant. Trapped in an airplane or in a car with someone who has doused herself with perfume is so uncomfortable. Scents from essential oils like rosemary and lavender don’t bother me at all.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basic "seasonal allergies" , I don't know what specifically. I take Zyrtec daily.

I had a weird allergic reaction the last time I vacationed in Florida. We had stayed up late watching the Disney fireworks from the dock (lots of bug bites), then we went to the beach and went swimming, then went to a seafood restaurant and I ate crabcakes. That night I was absolutely covered in hives. I've never had hives before. I took so much Benedryl but it didn't clear up until the next day. I don't know what it was a reaction to. A bug bite? Something in the sand or water? The crabcakes? (I've never had a reaction to shellfish before but my dad is allergic to shrimp, and it's not like I eat crabcakes all the time). But, ugh, it was awful. I hope that never happens again.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I'm allergic to is codeine. The doctor gave me Tylenol with codeine because of my 2 blown-out discs in my lower back. After the corrective surgery- never again. I lost over 15 pounds in 2 weeks because of that stuff.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Steroids, any form. Cream, oral or injection. Also bananas.
I'm allergic to other meds, but those are the main two.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
other than the skin of mangoes which has a chemical similar to poison ivy in it
Yes! I get a rash from mango skin too. I thought it was latex-related (I have a mild itchy reaction to latex if it's on my skin too long, like a bandaid) but poison ivy makes sense too. But I also get a rash from any fruit juice touching my skin. No eating juciy peaches with the juice running down my arm for me :/. Especially orange juice. I can drink it but if it gets on my lips I'll get a rash.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm coeliac, so allergic to gluten. I have allergic rhinitis year round, too, but have no clue what allergen is the trigger.