Question of The Day. Saturday 22nd of August.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

What was your biggest hair or fashion disaster?

My worst hair cut was one my mother forced me to get when I was about 13 or 14. I've always had long hair, but she decided it would be a good idea to cut it so took me to the hair dresser she used to go to and made them cut it into a bob. It looked dreadful! They gave me a fringe and I hate fringes. They just don't suit my face at all. What's more I have really curly hair and they cut it wet, then blow dried it, which made the whole hideous bob way shorter than it was wet. I refused to go to school again until she bought me a pot of gel I could use to weight my hair down and make it look slightly less of a disaster.

Fashion disasters. Hmmm, I've had a few of them, but one that stands out is a pale yellow t-shirt and skirt combo. That colour does not do me any favours!

How about you?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So when I was hitting puberty, my once straight hair started to kink and wave in weird places. It basically looked like I never brushed my hair. It was just at/below my shoulders at the time. So my mom suggested we go to a stylist to get it layered so that the obvious waves could fall better. Basically try to shape my hair to accommodate all the kinks and whatnot.
Well.....with every cut the hairstylist took, it was just enough weight taken off my hair to allow, not waves, but tight corkscrew curls to emerge. I walked into the salon with shoulder length straight (albeit messy) hair, and walked out with a 1-2 inch afro on the top of my head. I cried for weeks at my now ridiculous hair that people made fun of me for. We cut it over the summer so when school started, nobody believed me that it was natural and made fun of not only my hair in general, but also that I would lie about it...which I wasn't.
To make matters worse, I had NO idea how to take care of it, so it was just a nest of fuzz. I basically sprayed a ton of hair spray on my fro and tamped it down as best I could. Eventually it started to grow out, but it really didn't start look decent until I hit high school...about 3 years later. It was still a pain, but at least I had a bit more length, so it wasn't just on top, and with my new found friend, mousse, I could control it a bit better. Curly hair takes forever to grow out.
Afro hair runs in my family (dad's side), but it didn't hit me 'till puberty...so weird.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Afro hair runs in my family (dad's side), but it didn't hit me 'till puberty...so weird.
I know a guy whose hair did that. It's super curly now (not quite Afro) but there are pictures of him as a little kid with stick-straight hair. I didn't think hair worked like that but can't argue with the evidence.

I wore huge glasses and other crazy late '80s/early '90s stuff, but I never really messed with my hair. My cousin, however, went through a regrettable "Curly Sue" (bad home perm) stage we still tease her about, lol.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In general it was perms. My mother was always taking me to get a perm, when I was in high school mom quit I guess she decided it wasn't worth the fight. I would always wash my hair several times a day for a couple of days, starting when I first got home but it didn't help. Perms were an invention of the devil I swear.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I was young and the new school year was close to starting, my mother took me to get my hair "trimmed". Yeah. Trimmed. We got inside and it took two stylists to hold me down. They gave me a hack job. My ears stuck out, they shaved my neck, and for the length of my bangs, why even bother? Mom got me home and my parents had one of their worst fights ever. My dad was horrified; I don't think they even talked for a month. Got on the bus for school and everybody was looking and laughing. Rick was appalled; he couldn't believe Mom would do that to me. Of course, my mother thought it looked cute. Cute? Combine that with a pair or dark glasses and, oh yeah, remember those tent dresses? Yep, one of those, too. I actually had to have my school picture taken looking like that. To this day, when my sister really wants to zing me, she talks about that hair cut. It was truly horrible. You don't do that to a teenage girl. You just don't do it.

To this day (and I'm 65 years old), I will not wear short hair. I was completely traumatized by that. Even now, I can't believe she did it. And that I had no say. I never forgave her for it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was around 3 years old, maybe a little older, I wanted to tag along with my dad and older brother who were going to get their hair cut. Mom let me go with them. For some reason, dad put me in the chair and let the barber give me a complete buzz cut with an electric razor. I can still recall sitting in the chair while clumps of hair fell off. Mom was so mad when we returned home. Dad blamed me. Um, you're the parent :bat: Who lets a barber shave a young girl's hair off?? This is why I refuse to wear my hair short.

When I was a little older, I wanted my bangs curled like my cousins. I figured mom could do it with her curling iron. Mom took me to a hairdresser who gave me a horrible perm thing. Instead of curled bangs, I had a sculpture thing on my head. People were staring at me as we headed home by public transit. Not good with my unbearable anxiety back then :fear:

plisa21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning.

What was your biggest hair or fashion disaster?

My worst hair cut was one my mother forced me to get when I was about 13 or 14. I've always had long hair, but she decided it would be a good idea to cut it so took me to the hair dresser she used to go to and made them cut it into a bob. It looked dreadful! They gave me a fringe and I hate fringes. They just don't suit my face at all. What's more I have really curly hair and they cut it wet, then blow dried it, which made the whole hideous bob way shorter than it was wet. I refused to go to school again until she bought me a pot of gel I could use to weight my hair down and make it look slightly less of a disaster.

Fashion disasters. Hmmm, I've had a few of them, but one that stands out is a pale yellow t-shirt and skirt combo. That colour does not do me any favours!

How about you?
A few years ago I got a hair cut on December 23rd. I was trying to get ready and look nice for Christmas parties. Well...I asked the beautician to frame the hair to my face. You know cut it so there are little fringe pieces toward the face. She gave me bangs instead...I was still trying to grow out a perm and my hair has a natural curl. The bangs ended up being an inch long. I learned a few things that day: 1) question your beautician even if you want to be nice. 2) curly baby bangs are not cute on me.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was about 15 and decided to dye my hair dark red, The problem was I had bleached blonde hair the outcome was lovely shades of bright orange and red. The hood went up while I rushed to buy a brown hair dye and my so called best friend would not even walk next

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A spiral perm and cut I had in the 80’s. My hair is thick and add the volume you get from a perm and it was huge. And the cut that came with it gave me sort of a Bride of Frankenstein look. After I finished at the salon I was trying to convince myself it was THAT bad by consoled myself at an ice cream parlor. But when the ladies booth down started talking about my hair, I knew it was truly really really bad. The bad thing about perms is that they take forever to grow out. I could have tried to have it reversed but my hair started breaking off and I was afraid it would end up looking worse. So about a year of really unfortunate looking hairstyles and a vow to never ever perm again.

Over the years I have had a few pretty bad cuts. Stylists who don’t know how to shape really thick hair so that I come out looking like I am wearing a really bad wig. But thankfully my hair grows fast and a couple months of bad hair and I am over it.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 9th grade, I trimmed my own bangs but I cut them too short so they looked awful. I ended up using a lot of hair gel for a few months because they were too short to put into clips which also became problematic when I was playing soccer.

My hair is very thick and heavy so it never holds a curl, but I would always try to have curly hair by braiding my wet hair in a bunch of braids the night before then taking them out in the morning. It would always turn out terrible then I'd brush it making it a lot worse.

I used to fairly regularly dye my hair. Most frequently I dyed it auburn because I always wanted red hair. I don't look good with red hair though. I also tried dark, dark brown and it also looked awful. I realized about 6 years ago that my natural hair color is what looks best on me so I haven't dyed my hair since. Once I start graying, I don't know if I'll start dyeing it again though.

For fashion disasters, I thankfully don't have a lot. The main one is that I have a long torso so no shirts ever fit me properly. I finally started buying shirts for tall people and I don't feel as uncomfortable in my clothes anymore because I'm not constantly pulling my shirt down.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting how most members had more hair disasters than fashion ones, myself included. After my first child was born I needed a haircut badly and went to my husband's relative who was part-owner of a salon. Biggest mistake of my life! :frustrated: My hair was chin length but I walked out of there with a hairstyle like Liza Minelli, no offense to her. It was very awkward since I actually like this relative but obviously I never went back.:nono:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should preface this by saying that my mother has a mental disorder, is extremely Catholic, and was abusive. I must also say that I absolutely admit to some vanity when it comes to my hair. It is cinnamony auburn with a slight wave and currently is hip length. The shortest I have ever purposefully--or willingly-- had my hair was just above waist length. All of this caused the worst haircut of my life.

My mother walked past my room one day when I was in the fourth grade and saw me brushing my hair while looking in the mirror. She must have been watching for a while, but, apparently, she decided that I was too vain about my hair. Next thing I knew, she was in with scissors with wild intent. At the time it was waist length, as with all of my sisters, and she cut it to about an inch/ inch and a half at most, and not evenly. Some bits were cut close to my scalp. (She was a cosmetologist, so I know she did it on purpose.) That year's school picture was her favorite because she said it was the year she taught me humility. The last time I saw her, it was still on display.

Humiliation and humility are two very different things. I did learn one of them. You cannot begin to understand the amount of teasing I got for years afterward. At home and in school. I was already the odd one out by choice, but the haircut made me an outcast.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still hold this one over my mother's head....

When I was in the 3rd grade my mother decided she and I would have matching hair cuts. My (now ex) stepmother told her to never cut my hair. Well that did it. Today we'd call it a permed pixie. Back then I called it a boy cut. It was longer on top and permed. It was bad. After that I grew my hair out till it was below my waist. I was in middle school before I'd cut it even to mid-back. I went near my shoulders my Junior year of high school; but it's only been shorter than that a few times. Usually after donating my hair.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was dyeing my hair platinum blonde for a couple of years during my late teens (I'm naturally a dirty blonde) I wanted to started going back to my natural hair colour so picked out a Ash Blonde box dye - Lo' and behold my hair turned ashy green :lol: For those who know hair dye, you know why!

Anyway it was fixed later on, but my first reaction was the not the best!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the worst thing I can remember was a perm my mother gave me...maybe I was around 10.Oh my goodness so frizzy!Burns on the sides by my ears.Never a perm again after that...ever!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A hair disaster? Aside from the fact that it has been disappearing at an alarming rate for years now, the worst was the haircut I got on arriving at boot camp. It took- literally- 30 seconds from start to finish, leaving only a stubble maybe a quarter-inch long, if that. I can't recall any fashion disasters though, mainly because I never cared a whit about fashion in the first place.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it a hair disaster if you start going bald in high school?
It depends on how long it takes to complete the process. Doug, a classmate of mine, had a receding hairline in our senior year. The next time I saw him was 5 years later, after we were both out of the service- he was Air Force- and he was bald as a billiard ball. He said all his hair fell out while he was stationed in Turkey. Now that might be considered a disaster.