Question Of The Day. Saturday 16th Of December

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anybody know if any grocery stores or restaurants that will accept senior discounts? Burger King will and there is a new Italian restaurant that just opened up here that will. I can't seem to find any. Last year I went to a Mexican restaurant with my sister and b/l and I asked the waiter if they had a discount for senior citizens and he said no. My sister and b/l got all embarrassed looking down at the floor like I had committed a crime. They both just sat there and shook their heads. They are always calling me cheap but many, many times I have treated them to meals. I don't remember them ever treating me. Never. Every time I eat out with them all I hear Billy say is Ellen's treat.

Do you guys feel that people are cheap for using coupons or discounts?
no! definitely not cheap! it sounds like you're simply frugal, careful in money matters. :agree: and sometimes other people notice that, they see that you're on solid ground financially -- i'm not talking about rich or even well off, just frugal/careful.

i do my grocery shopping on a three-month plan. i shop at one grocery store the first month, the other grocery store the second month, and skip the third month. there are planned extra trips, like my yearly baking supplies shopping, and the yearly meat and poultry shopping. i buy food items in bulk when the price is lower to do so, whenever possible.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The next time I went to a restaurant and someone called me cheap for asking for a senior discount, I would say since it doesn't matter to YOU, it's your turn to pay! I figured I earned it. I go to my local grocer on Wednesdays fro meat and produce on Wednesdays just because of the senior discount on that day. My husband complains, but I go to Walmart several times a week just because they are so much cheaper, especially on cat food. He wants American made, and so would I if it was cheaper! A lot of local grocer's products aren't American made either. I am retired, so every penny counts. If I didn't have to pay 700.00/month in health insurance, that would help, I'm just waiting for Medicare age!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
A few times a week. I used to go once every week and a half or so, but ended up not using some things and throwing them out. By going a few times a week we have a lot less waste.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anybody know if any grocery stores or restaurants that will accept senior discounts? Burger King will and there is a new Italian restaurant that just opened up here that will. I can't seem to find any. Last year I went to a Mexican restaurant with my sister and b/l and I asked the waiter if they had a discount for senior citizens and he said no. My sister and b/l got all embarrassed looking down at the floor like I had committed a crime. They both just sat there and shook their heads. They are always calling me cheap but many, many times I have treated them to meals. I don't remember them ever treating me. Never. Every time I eat out with them all I hear Billy say is Ellen's treat.

Here is a list of restaurants that offer senior discounts:

2017 List of Senior Discounts Restaurants

Some may not be in your area. What you can do to "spare them the embarrassment" :rolleyes2::rolleyes2: is call the restaurant before you go and ask them. If a restaurant is a chain with franchises, some may not offer the deals that the corporate stores do. They are not obligated to so it's up to the owner.

Here is the list of grocery stores:

2017 Senior Discounts in Grocery Stores | The Senior List

Here is the list of retail and apparel:

2017 List of Senior Discounts Retail and Apparel

I love coupons and discounts. :heartshape: :bliss:Spending more than you have to is silly IMO.

Speaking of saving $$, I cannot recommend Ebates highly enough. You get cash back for shopping. Most of the stores are online but some are linked to in store as well. www.ebates.com

They are so easy to use. Go to the site. Search for the store you plan to make a purchase from. Click on the link to the store from Ebates and that's it. Once you make your purchase, a while later (time depending on the store- some are faster than others), you will get an email telling you how much you are getting back. You get a "big fat check" from them quarterly. They send the money to my Paypal and I put it in my bank account directly from Paypal. (You do not have to do this. They will send you a paper check if you prefer). I just checked. As of today I have gotten $380.00 back just from buying things I would have bought anyway. :jive:

ETA: You can always go to a restaurant's website to see if they have coupons there. Some will send you coupons to your email if you sign up and some have coupons that are available if you put their app on your phone. Steak and Shake (if you have one near you) has lots of coupons on their site and you can use as many as you want in a visit. You can print them and bring them in or enter the codes at checkout if you order online and go pick it up (we do this fairly often).

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Krogers has 5% off for seniors on Tuesdays, and I think it is Thursday for Harris Teeter. Wendy's has "senior drinks" that are free (small cups). Burger King as you mentioned. Arby's has senior discounts and their senior drink is 50 cents. I don't think you're cheap at all, it's just practical to save a little money when you can. When we used to go to Golden Corral a long time ago when I was mid 50s (I'm 66 now), they would ask me if I wanted senior discount and I would say sure! I have heard some people get all upset when asked that. I say, hey I look like a senior to you, whatever, I'll take it. Now I am officially a senior, I ask for it. Golden Corral still does have senior discounts, but since the one near us went out of business we almost never go.

We should start a thread where we can post places to go for the discounts!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We go every two weeks on Sunday while people are at church.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise

McDonald's is good for a free cup of coffee. Denny's and IHOP offer good senior's discounts. Golden Corral has an excellent deal from 11-4 that even includes a drink. AARP has a pretty good list of discounts for its members, and if you're not a member, ask anyway. There's no shame in asking. It's foolish not to. You'd be surprised at where I've gotten discounts, including plumbing and other services. Lodging, too. Unfortunately, Kroger stopped its Wednesday seniors' discount. Keep on asking!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a list of restaurants that offer senior discounts:

2017 List of Senior Discounts Restaurants

Some may not be in your area. What you can do to "spare them the embarrassment" :rolleyes2::rolleyes2: is call the restaurant before you go and ask them. If a restaurant is a chain with franchises, some may not offer the deals that the corporate stores do. They are not obligated to so it's up to the owner.

Here is the list of grocery stores:

2017 Senior Discounts in Grocery Stores | The Senior List

Here is the list of retail and apparel:

2017 List of Senior Discounts Retail and Apparel

I love coupons and discounts. :heartshape: :bliss:Spending more than you have to is silly IMO.

Speaking of saving $$, I cannot recommend Ebates highly enough. You get cash back for shopping. Most of the stores are online but some are linked to in store as well. www.ebates.com

They are so easy to use. Go to the site. Search for the store you plan to make a purchase from. Click on the link to the store from Ebates and that's it. Once you make your purchase, a while later (time depending on the store- some are faster than others), you will get an email telling you how much you are getting back. You get a "big fat check" from them quarterly. They send the money to my Paypal and I put it in my bank account directly from Paypal. (You do not have to do this. They will send you a paper check if you prefer). I just checked. As of today I have gotten $380.00 back just from buying things I would have bought anyway. :jive:

ETA: You can always go to a restaurant's website to see if they have coupons there. Some will send you coupons to your email if you sign up and some have coupons that are available if you put their app on your phone. Steak and Shake (if you have one near you) has lots of coupons on their site and you can use as many as you want in a visit. You can print them and bring them in or enter the codes at checkout if you order online and go pick it up (we do this fairly often).
Now THIS is news we can use! Thanks for the info. You get the day's gold star!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We're "whenever" shoppers. We keep a list on our iPhones. If we happen to be near the grocery store or if we need something, we go. The only thing that might precipitate prompt or multiple visits is a weekly special, which starts here on Wednesday. HEB has Challenge butter for 2/$5, which is probably about as cheap as it's going to get. They have a limit of 4, so it'll take multiple trips to fill the freezer. I cook only with real butter, so I usually buy about 40 or 50 pounds and freeze it. We stock up on Coke and Dr. Pepper when it's on sale, too. We may buy 8-12 cases at a time. We hit them when they're $3, which is usually around a holiday. It's a lot better than paying nearly $6 for one case.

HEB is our primary store, with Costco for meat and Walmart for whatever because it's close and open 24/7.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
When I was a student we used to Dumpster Dive for dented cans and out of date packets. Using coupons and discounts is fine, I think.

;)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're "whenever" shoppers. We keep a list on our iPhones. If we happen to be near the grocery store or if we need something, we go. The only thing that might precipitate prompt or multiple visits is a weekly special, which starts here on Wednesday. HEB has Challenge butter for 2/$5, which is probably about as cheap as it's going to get. They have a limit of 4, so it'll take multiple trips to fill the freezer. I cook only with real butter, so I usually buy about 40 or 50 pounds and freeze it. We stock up on Coke and Dr. Pepper when it's on sale, too. We may buy 8-12 cases at a time. We hit them when they're $3, which is usually around a holiday. It's a lot better than paying nearly $6 for one case.

HEB is our primary store, with Costco for meat and Walmart for whatever because it's close and open 24/7.
i do that too! i buy my (real) butter at Aldi's ($2.29/lb and no limit on maximum allowed to purchase per visit, which is $1 less than the price at the other grocery store i shop at), and just last month bought my yearly supply -- 20 lbs (plus i still had about 5 lbs on hand at the time), which is now in my upright freezer.