Question Of The Day. Saturday 16th Of December

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, Happy Saturday.

:wave3:

When do you do your grocery shopping? Do you go just once a week or make several trips?

I've just got back from the supermarket. Some people I know go every day and treat their local supermarket like their refrigerator at home. :dunno: I live too far away from the shops for that. I usually go on a Saturday or Sunday evening as those are the only days I don't work in the afternoon/evening. The best thing about going at that time is that all the stuff in the deli section is half price. We had deli food for dinner tonight, rice with sesame seeds and red beans, deep fried winter vegetables, spinach salad and octopus balls for Mr Husband.

How about you, when do you do your shopping?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I usually go to the grocery store once a week but do my shopping for fruits/vegetables at a produce or green grocer. They have a better selection at better prices. In the warmer weather I like going to various farmer markets.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I live alone so I don't need to go food shopping so often. I barely cook for myself either, mostly on weekends. I go food shopping when I am low on milk mostly, lol.
I'll say every other week or when I am out of milk

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of me would prefer to go every day, lol. But then it would ultimately be more costly because buying in bulk is cheaper (I think it's becoming the bane of our existences!). And I just can't see myself doing it, even though the store is walking distance from me. I usually go once a week for the "big shopping", preferably a weekday. When I worked at my big corp job I typically did it on Sundays, but now my "off" days are more during the week. So, usually Wednesday or Thursday is when I go now. If there is something we need before then, I'll stop in once or twice for just those items.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My husband does the main grocery shopping. He used to do it on Saturdays, but now that he's retired he goes on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I'll pick up a few items at another grocery store once or twice a week.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only live a 5 minute drive from the town so I tend to pop in a few times a week, meet a friend, go for a coffee and stock up on what I need

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually once a week on Friday night. I will go tonight instead since I need to pick up a Petsmart order and it's on the way home from Publix.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I typically go every two weeks with a trip or two in between if we run out of something like milk or eggs. We live rural so it is an hour round trip to the store. I like to go at around 7am before it gets busy.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually shop once a week. In the winter I try and stock up on stuff so I can two weeks. I try to avoid shopping on the weekend because the checkout lines can get pretty crazy those days.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least twice a week. Fridays or Saturdays I usually go to the supermarket for meat, cereal, general stuff. Maybe Wednesday or Thursdsay I go to the independent market for a quart of milk, maybe some blue eggs, local produce, baked goods, check out the selection of fresh seafood from the local seafood place that sets up a table with the day's catch, etc. I went to Trader Joe's recently for stuff that is unique to that chain.

Some people I know go every day and treat their local supermarket like their refrigerator at home. :dunno:
My Mom does that :dunno: It's not uncommon for her to spend a few hundred dollars a week just on groceries. Honestly, she needs to either kick both my adult brothers out of the house or make them buy their own groceries and cook for themselves.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live 20 miles from town and the store is another 5 miles from the light. So I do the bulk of my shopping once a month. If there is something I need however, I will pick it up next time I'm in town.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live really close but I try to only go once a week. I went early this morning and forgot to get toilet paper. I just started my last roll yesterday and it will probably last through the week but it may not. I will probably go again early tomorrow morning just for this. I always go early in the morning on a weekend day. It is a lot more crowded on weekdays after work and later in the day on weekends. The worst is Sunday afternoons.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live really close but I try to only go once a week. I went early this morning and forgot to get toilet paper. I just started my last roll yesterday and it will probably last through the week but it may not. I will probably go again early tomorrow morning just for this. I always go early in the morning on a weekend day. It is a lot more crowded on weekdays after work and later in the day on weekends. The worst is Sunday afternoons.
Don't wait too long. This is one item you don't want to slack on getting.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had a car I could do a big shop now I don’t i tend to have to go a few times a week! Plus never know what I fancy cooking until the afternoon so I pop in the shop ! I live central London and one store (Waitrose) is across the road so I tend to pop in there .

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We usually go on Monday right after I get home from work. I make up my list and get my coupons ready on Sunday (or Monday at work, if I didn't have time over the weekend) and Rick and I go together. It's really rare that only one of us goes to the grocery store. For the most part, that's the only time we go to the store.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to Trader Joes weekly--- I love their yogurt, and have it for breakfast everyday.. It is made my Stoneyfield, up in Vermont.

The regular grocery store, depends.. if I am eating a ton of salads, then it is weekly...Normally, I can go every 2-3 weeks....

I really cannot remember the last time I went to the regular grocery store...

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love grocery shopping. The problem is I just can't pick up and go whenever I want because of some health issues. I'm retired and I usually go grocery shopping during the week and almost never on the weekend. The stores are a lot lest crowded. I go to about 3 or 4 different stores for different things. I'm so jealous of you people that have green grocers and organic stores to shop near your homes. The food is so good and I don't have to cook it. The rice sesame seeds, red beans, fried vegetables sound really good. Your husband can keep the octopus balls. He must watch Andrew Zimmer...

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually once a week. I went today, because I have plans tomorrow, but my Sunday routine has been church - gym - groceries for a while. I have two stores I rotate between, neither of which are the closest one to me. But I like them both, so it works.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anybody know if any grocery stores or restaurants that will accept senior discounts? Burger King will and there is a new Italian restaurant that just opened up here that will. I can't seem to find any. Last year I went to a Mexican restaurant with my sister and b/l and I asked the waiter if they had a discount for senior citizens and he said no. My sister and b/l got all embarrassed looking down at the floor like I had committed a crime. They both just sat there and shook their heads. They are always calling me cheap but many, many times I have treated them to meals. I don't remember them ever treating me. Never. Every time I eat out with them all I hear Billy say is Ellen's treat.

Do you guys feel that people are cheap for using coupons or discounts?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We usually go on Monday right after I get home from work. I make up my list and get my coupons ready on Sunday (or Monday at work, if I didn't have time over the weekend) and Rick and I go together. It's really rare that only one of us goes to the grocery store. For the most part, that's the only time we go to the store.
That's how it was for DH and me. We did our weekly grocery shopping together. It's been 6 years and I hate shopping without him. :sigh: