Question Of The Day, Saturday 15th Of June.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I lived at home while I was in college and married DH before my last year; so I went straight from home to DH's place. DH had bought a trailer rather than rent a place; so that became our first place together. We did a lot of work on it. It had 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I think it actually cost us a little less to have something we owned and could decorate however we wanted vs renting and dealing with neighbors on every wall. Apartments here were kinda ridiculous for the area. The neighborhood wasn't the nicest; but there were some good people there too.

We stayed there until we had money saved to buy our house. I don't miss that house; but I don't regret our time there either. DH proposed there. It was our first home. I found out I was pregnant with DD there. I have good memories. :)

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first place I lived when I left my mother's home was a cute three room and bath that was attached to the house where I was babysitting full time. I don't know if that counts since I didn't pay rent, it was included with the utilities, food and salary as part of the job.

When I left the job I stayed with my cousin and her husband until I saved enough to get an apartment. It was in a suburb of Baltimore, with three rooms and a bath. It was over forty years ago and I still remember the rent was $99 plus utilities. I loved the first home I had of my own!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading these posts made me feel like amusing you guys. In my young days one did not become an adult before your 21st birthday but even then you did not leave your parents' home until you got married. Even today in Uruguay it is quite usual to see unmarried adults, males and females, still living with mum and dad.
As for me, my first home away from my parents was at age 21, in a small town in England by the name of Prescot in Lancashire. And my first time sleeping away from home was, newly marrried, sailing from Montevideo to Southampton in a British merchant ship, a couple of years after the end of World War II.It was quite common in those days for British merchant ships to take on board some 10 passengers. It was a lot of fun, the captain taking tours inviting one or two passengers at a time to dine with him in his cabin.

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know it well. My father is from Coniston village and I have relatives in Prescot.
First time in so many years, Norachan, that I come across someone knowing what I'm talking about when I mention Prescot! I ony lived in Precot during a couple of years but it was my first experience away from home and first "contact" with the English way of life and has always remained very present in my mind.