Question of the Day - Monday, March 4, 2024

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Things are looking and feeling like Spring around here! :bouquet::bliss:I can tell DS is SO ready for spring break. I’ve also got friends talking about Prom season. My high school-college bestie text looking for pictures from our junior prom because her daughter plans to wear her old dress. The pictures were…gems. :paperbag: Like my bestie wearing a pair of feather angel wings she made herself with a dress she thrifted and modified before that kind of thing was cool. Her date had a very fluffy red and black feather boa on too. :flail:

Meanwhile I’m still looking at dresses for my niece’s semi-formal to formal wedding. Still with dread. But she missed out on senior prom stuff with covid so I understand why they think dressing up in single-wear dresses is fun. ;)

Do you enjoy dressing up?

Years ago I didn’t mind it. I was much more confident and comfortable with my body. I could wear heels and the occasional expensive dress was either do-able or previously paid for by my parents because I was still in school.

Now; it’s just stressful. I do enjoy looking more put together from time to time. But I still want to be comfortable where I can enjoy the event. I feel a little panicky at the thought of true formal gowns. And spanx aint happening. :nervous::paranoid::rolleyes2:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago I didn’t mind it. I was much more confident and comfortable with my body. I could wear heels and the occasional expensive dress was either do-able or previously paid for by my parents because I was still in school.
Ditto! :yeah: Can you wear a two-piece outfit instead of a formal gown?

I was more inclined to look forward to dressing up when I was younger too. I still wear a petite size but I hate to spend money on a new dress because I know I won't wear it that often. That's why I have a faithful little black dress as they call it that I can pair up with an evening jacket, shawl or shrug over it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only occasion I have to dress up any more is for funerals, as we don't go out to any places where it would be appropriate. I'm just a sweatshirt or teeshirt, weather depending, and jeans guy. Now, 50 years ago it was a different story, but that's a story for another time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ditto! :yeah: Can you wear a two-piece outfit instead of a formal gown?

I was more inclined to look forward to dressing up when I was younger too. I still wear a petite size but I hate to spend money on a new dress because I know I won't wear it that often. That's why I have a faithful little black dress as they call it that I can pair up with an evening jacket, shawl or shrug over it.
I think I look better in 2 piece outfits. The way my weight is distributed I could pass for pregnant. :paperbag: I look at pictures from a cousins wedding DD was in and I look nicer at the rehearsal dinner than the wedding because i was in dress capris with a blouse. The more formal dresses seem so dowdy. I might just run some ideas by my niece and tell her to be honest. I want to respect her day; but I don’t think she wants anyone super inconvenienced either. I used to have the cutest little black dress. Like 60 pounds ago. :rolleyes2:
:rolleyes3:i do but i dont since i know thats all the excuse gf needs to shop new clothes for me to wear :lol:
Can she shop for me too? :lol2:
Sometimes. I work from home so I don't even get dressed in the morning. When I worked in-person I wore a lot of dresses and I do miss wearing dresses more.
I don’t mind like sundresses like I wear for church and casual ones. Sometimes they are breezy and comfortable. Perfect for a summer evening wedding even. :lol: Business casual was ok for me.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think I look better in 2 piece outfits. The more formal dresses seem so dowdy.
Then go with a two piece outfit if it makes you feel more comfortable and you like the way you look in it. I completely agree about formal dresses looking dowdy. :agree: Even to my own daughter's wedding I wore a mid-length dress which was slightly above the knee. Her future mother-in-law wore a full length formal dress and since she's short it looked like a nightgown.:biggrin: I'm sure whatever you choose to wear you'll look lovely and enjoy the wedding. :hugs:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
The only occasion I have to dress up any more is for funerals, as we don't go out to any places where it would be appropriate. I'm just a sweatshirt or teeshirt, weather depending, and jeans guy. Now, 50 years ago it was a different story, but that's a story for another time.
Awww. Ya GOTTA tell the story! :jump:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t and never did. When I was young I got a great deal more attention than I was ever comfortable with and dressing up seemed like it was just inviting more. At my age no one really pay attention and I dislike crowds so there really isnt much need for it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not anymore. I used to have to do "business casual" when I was working and that's about all the dressing up I needed. I remember walking around a manure pit for an Amish farmer in a dress. I was not amused.

I like my jeans and sweatshirts. Although since I've been dealing with everything, it's more like sweatpants and sweatshirts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I discovered the absolute comfort and bliss of wearing men's sweatpants this winter. I'm almost sad it's currenty too warm for them. :lol:

Then go with a two piece outfit if it makes you feel more comfortable and you like the way you look in it. I completely agree about formal dresses looking dowdy. :agree: Even to my own daughter's wedding I wore a mid-length dress which was slightly above the knee. Her future mother-in-law wore a full length formal dress and since she's short it looked like a nightgown.:biggrin: I'm sure whatever you choose to wear you'll look lovely and enjoy the wedding. :hugs:
I ended up messaging my step-cousin last night. The woman manages to look put together at +50 but then she is literally a former beauty queen. :lol: I should be seeing SIL and niece in the next couple of months so I think then I can get a better feel for what will be acceptable. I found some "younger" styles in plus sizes. Like these Body-con dresses. Why someone my size would want to look like a sausage is beyond me. :lol::crazy:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends what you mean by dressing up! I don't have any formal wear and have never worn heels. Dressing up for me is low-key, it's always going to be a nice shirt or top and my good jeans and boots, and if the weather is cold enough, a jumper or cardigan I made, and probably a necklace. That level of dressing up I enjoy very much.