Question of the Day - Monday, December 28, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have started this thread in my head about 6 times and on the keyboard twice... I can only come up with dumb questions right now. :crazy: So my apologies in advance....

What color was your bedroom/bedding when you were a kid? Did you like it and/or choose it? Did you have a theme?

I'm updating my DD's bedroom since she's getting older so that inspired this question. I remember having several different blue bedspreads and/or comforters. One is on my couch now. I was never really a fan of blue. I mean I like it for most things; but I wouldn't have chosen it for home decor. When I was a baby I had a blue and white nursery. My Mom held on to a stuffed hot air balloon that hung from the ceiling and that has been in my DD's room since she was a baby too. It doesn't match her room at all. :lol: There was a stuffed mouse in the basket part when I was a kid; but I've had a small Winnie the Pooh in it for her.

For a little while in Middle School I sort of had a Mickey theme. My grandma had given me a blanket and I had some stuffed animals from when I was a kid. So I covered my regular bedspread with that and had those out. Most of the places we lived were rentals so there was no painting walls.

My mom and step-dad bought a house my freshman year of high school. Eventually Mom painted one wall of my bedroom the most gorgeous shade of purple. I think it was called Purple Angel. For my 16th birthday they bought me one of those wrought iron canopy beds. Mom found lilac valances somewhere and my Grandma sent money for Mom to find another bedspread. I ended up with a light purple and light green quilt; but eventually we found a lilac bedspread too. DD actually uses that quilt in the summer.

Looking back I see the interior designer in me was there all along. I've never really liked having that kind of stuff picked out for me. I have loved having my own home to design and decorate. But guess what color my bedding is now? ....... Blue. :rolleyes2: I absolutely love my current window treatments; which are more on the green side of aqua. I haven't been able to find that in the bedding and we upgraded to a king after buying the curtains anyway. So...blue. :lol:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
For many years I and two sisters had to share a room and I cannot remember the color. When it was just me and 1 sister, it was a gold/yellow color. I remember having ugly gold plush bed spread, but I think I liked it back then. the only theme I ever had was hanging pictures of the hotties from Teen Beat, Tiger Magazine... LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the only theme I ever had was hanging pictures of the hotties from Teen Beat, Tiger Magazine... LOL
DH wouldn't let me hang my autographed and framed poster of a boyband I saw in college when I moved in. :lol: I mean I was going to put it in my office space but the annoyed him to no end. :flail: At least I didn't have a ton on the wall like my cousin. Complete with the lipstick kisses she added. :flail: I should go tease her about that now... :crazy:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
When I was about 10 my mother let me decorate my room... we're talking mid 1960's. It was a tiny room that ended up having hot pink walls with bedspread/ curtains in orange and pink, a bit like:

wallpaper2.jpg

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father built the house I grew up in; we moved into it when I was three or four years old. One of my earliest memories is being shown some samples of linoleum and being asked which one I wanted in my bedroom. I picked the pink linoleum with the little gold stars in it, of course.

Margret

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a little girl I picked out a very pale aqua and had the same color sheer curtains that were dotted Swiss with the tiny white dots. My Grandmother had bought me white furniture with gold accents. I had kept that scheme and loved it until a fire took everything. After that I had a more mature mahogany four poster bed that I inherited but also with ‘60’s themed stuff all over. Peter Max posters were my favorite back then. mani mani I would have loved your room!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We moved around quite a bit, so I had a few bedrooms. The first one I can remember was yellow, the next two were pink, and when I was a pre-teen, it was lavender. After that, we lived in a place where we weren't allowed to paint, so my teenage bedroom was white.

From the time I was little until I was about 12 or 13, I had a cream-colored bedspread with pink roses. After that, I got a new bed and a new bedspread to go with it, another floral one that was mostly blue.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was pink, my signature color. My mother gave me one of those jewelry boxes
that had a ballerina pop up when you opened it, I loved it!!! When I was about 12,
she painted it lavender, my 2nd sig color.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have started this thread in my head about 6 times and on the keyboard twice... I can only come up with dumb questions right now. :crazy: So my apologies in advance....
Well, it's a harmless question which is how a question on any site should be.....
I was born shortly after WW2, and lived in cramped rented properties with my parents and an ever increasing number of siblings.(We were 6 children). Bedrooms were shared and we children were moved around according to the whims of our parents. Wallpaper was probably always floral, and basically cream colored. It was before the days of Mickey Mouse wallpaper and Paddington Bear curtains. :)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As best as I can recall, (it was a very long time ago, after all) the walls were white plaster, and the blankets- I still have one- were gray surplus military wool.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our room was white with my bedspread being frilly pink, and my sisters being white or blue I don't remember for sure because I did not go over to her 'side'. I had a line drawn right down the middle of the room, that neither one of us could cross, because I was anal about neatness and perfection and she was such a slob. It was a lot like Odd Couple, except I was living it!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As best as I can recall, (it was a very long time ago, after all) the walls were white plaster, and the blankets- I still have one- were gray surplus military wool.
Blankets? Indeed.a few thin utility grey blankets, plus. in winter, my aunt's old coats on the bed as well - including a fox fur scarf, with beady eyes! Those were the (good old) days! :lol:

Last edited:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our first house, I remember my room was green with a full wall-sized forest wallpaper? In our second house, the one I grew up in, my room started off pink and generally "girl," then it became a light purple with a Winnie the Pooh theme (my mom worked at the Disney store, and I loved Eeyore specifically, so it really was a themed room) When I got to be a teenager, I painted it dark blue and put glow in the dark stars all over it and covered a lot of the walls in band and movie posters.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blankets? Indeed.a few thin utility grey blankets, plus. in winter, my aunt's old coats on the bed as well - including a fox scarf, with beady eyes! Those were the (good old) days! :lol:
In the winter, (Insulation? What's that?) I used to pile on so many of those blankets that I could barely move.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't remember. Probably pink. :lol: I had two different rooms in the house. My brothers shared a bedroom and when they both moved out I moved into it because it was a bigger room. Both of those rooms still have the pink, flowery wallpaper from when I was a kid. :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bedroom, before age 8, was light pink with one wall that had wall paper with little animals on it. I can't remember the bedspread.
When we moved, my room was pink, and I had a bunk bed for sleep overs...I didn't have any "special" bedding. No themes to speak of, just pink and girly.
We then renovated the house, adding a second floor, so my parents moved to the top floor, and I got their old bedroom. I painted it cream and dark green, with a cat border around the top of the walls. My bedding was just an abstract floral type with greens and cream colors in it. No theme really, just wanted a more "sophisticated" bedroom, and move away from the "little girl" look.
Then as I got older, I moved into the basement and my new color choice was blue and black. Bedding and sheets were black and the walls were blue, like a bright sky blue shade. I wanted to paint the ceiling black, but my Dad said no. It was not so much a theme as it was just a "cool, teen room". Animal print things (leopard, zebra and snake) were a big part of the decor as well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was military housing so we couldn't paint or change the flooring. We did family bed and I don't remember what was in "my room" (the toy room, really) when I was little. After age 10 or so I had Cat Fancy centerfolds taped (no tack holes either!) on every available surface, lol. I'm not sure if I was aware there were different kinds of sheets/etc., at any rate I didn't care about them. I still don't have a bedroom "theme", just sheets and a blanket, thanks.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was military housing so we couldn't paint or change the flooring. We did family bed and I don't remember what was in "my room" (the toy room, really) when I was little. After age 10 or so I had Cat Fancy centerfolds taped (no tack holes either!) on every available surface, lol. I'm not sure if I was aware there were different kinds of sheets/etc., at any rate I didn't care about them. I still don't have a bedroom "theme", just sheets and a blanket, thanks.
It must depend on where you are. Only two of our homes were assigned to us, and we could paint in one but not the other.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The first bedroom that I can really remember was blue. And that's all I remember about it.
When I was in third grade, my parents built their house. I shared a room with my younger sister and it was pink.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It must depend on where you are. Only two of our homes were assigned to us, and we could paint in one but not the other.
I think we could paint as long as we repainted it back to the official off-white before we moved out. . .I remember some of my friends having colored bedroom walls. But that wasn't gonna happen with my family, lol.