Question Of The Day, Friday, September 21

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

Do you watch scary movies? What's the scariest movie you've ever seen? Or what is the movie that really bothered you after you saw it?

For me, I think it was Night of the Living Dead. For some reason, that movie bothered the heck out of me. Rick was gone for the weekend and a GF was spending the evening with me. We were going to watch a movie, then she was going home. After the movie was over, she looked at me and said there was no way she was going home by herself. She only lived across town, so I said I'd take her home. We got to her place and then I realized I'd have to come back by myself to an empty house. Um, no. She ended up spending the weekend at my house.

I've never watched that movie since. Oh, I know, it was pure camp. But, for some reason, it just scared the crap out of me.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were Alien and Children of the Corn. I don't usually find movies scary and now that I'm older Children of the Corn isn't scary at all.
When I first saw Alien in '79, it was in a huge theater. The theater turned off all lights (including the little isle lights). So you are in a totally dark theater, except for the 2 story screen, with surround sound. Scared the :censored: out of me.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't like scary movies at all, but I also don't like being scared. The only way I watch scary movies is if they are the corner scary movies (like the Final Destination series), if I've read everything there is to read on it so I know what's going to happen, or at home where I can fast forward to see when the scare is going to happen.

Although, I don't count thrillers or sci-fi movies as scary movies. They may have moments that scare me but they aren't primarily focused on that. Although I do love the IT movie, but that fits in the "I read all about it beforehand" category.

Linda Dwyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't watch horror movies. Alfred Hitchcock ruined my life with psycho, after seeing that it was years before I'd take a shower if I was alone in the house

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the movie that really scared me, and that i have long term effects from to this day is Dracula, the old one with Bela Lugosi -- which i watched when i was around 5 years old, with my dad. :doh: after watching that, i had nightmares, and slept with the blanket snugged tightly over my neck...for many years. to this day, i still feel most comfortable sleeping with a blanket or sheet snugged over my neck. as an adult, i've watched the same version of Dracula many times, and enjoy watching it. but the...trauma from watching it as a young child remains.

yup, Night of the Living Dead was very creepy. :agree:

also, Invasion of the Body Snatchers was...disturbing, the first time i saw it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The movie that bothered me the most wasn't even a scary movie. It was The Dollmaker. There's a scene where the little girl gets run over by a train. I was the same age as the little girl and it scarred me so bad I never forgot it.
The Dollmaker - Wikipedia

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've watched horror movies in my day, but im hard pressed to call any of them to mind. I don't think anything's really got under my skin or given me nightmares.

I think thrillers rather than trad horrors impact more on me - I'm way too aware of the workings of CGI, special effects, and all the other 'movie magic tricks. Growing up with a tv director/producer will do that to you :rolleyes: :lol:

These days, I mostly watch sci-fi/fantasy, comedy/sit coms/romcoms, and true story inspired films.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't allowed to watch horror movies when I was a kid/teen, and never really felt like doing it when I was old enough, so I haven't seen many. That's probably good, because after watching Jurassic Park there was a tree I wouldn't walk past because when the wind blew it made a squeaky sound like the Dilophosaurs (spitters) in the movie, lol.
I don't watch horror movies. Alfred Hitchcock ruined my life with psycho, after seeing that it was years before I'd take a shower if I was alone in the house
I only just recently watched Psycho, and I wonder if modern shows and movies have desensitized us or something. It just reminded me of an episode of Criminal Minds.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like scary movies! Favorites being paranormal types. IF done well, also serial killer too (There are ones that exist that don't need guts and blood in your face) Not a fan of slasher gore or psychological horror. I like creative creepiness and eeriness.

It is just tricky since there haven't been many that I find good or interesting. Horror Movies are either typical story line, cheap jump scares, gross or violent. Or simply too depressing, tapering off or going too far where it is borderline implausible and kills the effect.

So I got into short horror films :lol: or "real life" creepy footage and stories.

But as for an actual film that I would find one of the scariest....I'd say probably [REC]

The first original 2007 Spanish version. Not the remake, not the sequels.

Good tension and buildup regarding the plot and mysterious circumstance, roller coaster ride/unpredictable, scary unseen stuff to leave you with imagination etc etc not sure if the trailer really does it justice, but I do recommend this movie to horror fans. One of the few movies I can recommend!

Plot summary: "The film centers on a reporter and her cameraman covering a firefighter intervention in an apartment building in Barcelona, as the situation escalates after some of the building's occupants show animalistic and murderous behavior, they find themselves confined inside the perilous building"

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get to watch movies as much as I would like, but I LOVE horror movies, but not (usually) the "make it a horror movie by relying on lots of blood and guts and screaming" stuff. I hated stuff like Freddy and Jason, to me there was no real content aside from slasher stuff. Just not my style.
But the really weird stuff that makes your brain work overtime to try to take it all in and screws with your head, anything "psychological horror" I love.
Even though there was some gross stuff (the vomit was actually pea soup!), the Exorcist is past horror for me, and just downright disturbing but excellent. (Too bad about the sequel, which to me was just weird, though the 3rd one wasn't bad.)
Kubrick's The Shining is a favorite.
I will read anything Stephen King writes, but the older works are my favorites (Carrie, The Shining, etc.)
kashmir64 kashmir64 , did you ever read the book Children of the Corn? Totally a different animal (and ending) than the movie. I still watch the movie and find myself laughing at it, especially since it's spawned so many crappy sequels! (
M maggiedemi , "It" is probably one of my favorite books, and I actually liked the old TV movie and the one from last year as well. (I can't wait for part 2 to come out!)
Also for you Stephen King fans, the sequel of the Shining (Dr. Sleep) is being made into a movie. :beerchug:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"It" is probably one of my favorite books, and I actually liked the old TV movie and the one from last year as well. (I can't wait for part 2 to come out!)
I haven't seen the remake of "It", the trailer seemed lame. But I'll check it out if you say it's good. :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen the remake of "It", the trailer seemed lame. But I'll check it out if you say it's good. :)
It's not the same as the original, but I like the story well enough and thought it was very well done.
All the kids in both movies did an outstanding job.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a massive fan of scary movies since I don't like scaring myself (I hate roller coasters for the same reason - they terrify me haha, especially the loopy and upside down ones!) and after I've seen a horror film it's the thing that occupies my mind at night for at least a week afterwards and that kind of lack of sleep isn't worth it lol.
I guess the scariest I've seen though is the second film of The Woman in Black (the first film wasn't that scary).

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get to watch movies as much as I would like, but I LOVE horror movies, but not (usually) the "make it a horror movie by relying on lots of blood and guts and screaming" stuff. I hated stuff like Freddy and Jason, to me there was no real content aside from slasher stuff. Just not my style.
But the really weird stuff that makes your brain work overtime to try to take it all in and screws with your head, anything "psychological horror" I love.
Even though there was some gross stuff (the vomit was actually pea soup!), the Exorcist is past horror for me, and just downright disturbing but excellent. (Too bad about the sequel, which to me was just weird, though the 3rd one wasn't bad.)
Kubrick's The Shining is a favorite.
I will read anything Stephen King writes, but the older works are my favorites (Carrie, The Shining, etc.)
kashmir64 kashmir64 , did you ever read the book Children of the Corn? Totally a different animal (and ending) than the movie. I still watch the movie and find myself laughing at it, especially since it's spawned so many crappy sequels! (
M maggiedemi , "It" is probably one of my favorite books, and I actually liked the old TV movie and the one from last year as well. (I can't wait for part 2 to come out!)
Also for you Stephen King fans, the sequel of the Shining (Dr. Sleep) is being made into a movie. :beerchug:
You would probably like Bad Samaritan. It's not a slasher/gore movie, more like a thriller with some bloody parts.
Haven't seen the remake either. Tim Curry was so good as Pennywise, I hate to ruin the memory.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love horror movies. As far as being really scared after watching it I would say The Descent would be my number one. I also found David Cronenberg's Dead Ringers extremely disturbing the first time I watched it. It was like whoooooaaa...What the heck did I just watch??? Whoever wrote this screenplay is seriously unbalanced. lol