Question For Those With Hyperthyroid Cats

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a question for those of you that have gone through with having a hyperthyroid cat. Specifically, how quickly did your cat lose weight before being diagnosed with hyperthyroid?

Thanks.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed before he started losing weight. He was still a good size. Part of a senior cat blood test.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For our cat the weight loss was the symptom that sent us to the vet and she was diagnosed about 9 months ago. It came on gradually and I didn't really notice the weight loss for about 2 months before it was obvious. I've since bought a baby scale so I can monitor her in between vet visits. She had lost 3 lbs by the time we got her stabilized with medication. She is a big cat and has been around 16 lbs most of her adult life before she was diagnosed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A friend's cat was hyperthyroid. More noticeable, at first, than the weight loss was the constant water drinking. His water dish would be empty when they got home from work. He did eventually start to look noticeably thinner, but it was gradual and took a while to really see it. Once he was started on medication, his weight stabilized.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last year in September, but she had already lost much weight since April/May.
In my case, though, my cat lost weight because she wasn't eating anymore, or she was eating much less.
She had an uncommon kind of HT, called apathetic, which even if it's HT, it gives symptoms consistent with HYPO-thyroidism, that is decreased appetite, decreased thirst, quietness.
The decreased sense of hunger took her to lose weight.
So, to answer your question, my cat looked thinner about 4-5 months before she was diagnosed, but because she was rather "round", she could have been HT even before that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone and thanks to those of you that replied. I took my cat in last week for her blood work and just heard back from the vet that she has tested positive for HT. It wasn't really a surprise as she was borderline for HT last Feb which was found from her blood work then.
I thought that she was getting thinner, but when I took her in her weight was basically the same so I think I caught it early. The other indicator was her personality change....much more vocal and needy.
I've read enough about it and have already decided to to the Radiation Therapy route. My cat is one that would not suffer ongoing pilling...and neither am I.
Going in to talk to the vet tomorrow and pick up a litter to collect urine and discuss.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope everything goes well with your girl. Good luck. :catrub: