Question About Potential Pregnancy

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I am new to this forum so please give as much feedback as you know possible. So I have three Persian cats, all CFA registered. One 1.5 year old grand champion female who is not fixed, one Himalayan Persian male who is 1.2 years and a 12 week old female Persian. Snickers is the male and ever since we have introduced the kitten to him he has taken an extreme liking to her. They sleep together, play all the time and are always together. When we brought the older female home, Lulu, he will not go near her he hisses if she comes by or attempts to approach. I did as much research as I possibly could on why they were not getting along so I bought Feliway multi-cat diffusers for the house and also got an anti-stress oral dropper that is said to help with cat introduction and fights. It seemed to help a-little bit but I think the Feliway kind of made the male lethargic and hasn't helped much. We are trying to breed the older female persian and have tried so many times to put them in my bedroom or bathroom overnight in hopes they would breed but when we woke up in the morning they were sitting in the exact same spot. So we decided to put them in the living room and keep the kitten in our bedroom. We are pretty positive Lulu is pregnant because her belly is getting bigger but we are not 100% percent positive. She's been really friendly and rubbing up against us and rolling around in the bed but she doesn't meow at all. She could either be pregnant or in heat but its hard to say unless we brought her to the vet. We are convinced that Snickers is not interested in the Lulu because they just do not interact much, its always a hiss or a paw being thrown. I really want to know what I can do to help the situation and eliaviate any stress between the cats and hope to get the older female pregnant. This would be the first litter of kittens snickers has fathered so it is totally new to him! Please help!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many males are not ready to mate until they are a year and a half or even two years old. In the meantime, it sounds like he has taken the kitten under his “wing” and is truly enjoying her company. This is actually good for the kitten!

Who was in the house first, second, and third? How long has each been in your home and around each other?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Thank you so much for your response. So Snickers was the first addition to our house, we got him when he was about 9 weeks. We have spoiled him and loved him ever since day 1, then came Daisy. We got her February 26th so only exactly a month ago. They are literally inseparable and wherever he goes she follows. Snickers sleeps in a baby basket, I know I know its adorable, and she will come in and snuggle him and lay with her feet on his face. A few weeks after we got Daisy we found Lulu through a breeder and we got her March 6th..so we've only had her for about 3 weeks now to be exact. Lulu has really warmed up to us because when we got her she used to run and hide under the bed, now she's jumping on the couch, rubbing up against us and sitting and sleeping in my bed. So it might just be the time they've been in the house. Snickers has been in here for over a year so he's very accustomed and comfortable. Snickers usually humps clothes to and will steal stuff out of the closet and be found humping around the house but he hasn't done that since we got the new cats. Is that normal for him to have stopped?

So you really think that Snickers isn't going to be able to breed until she's a year and a half or older?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't allow Snickers to breed until she is 18 months or older, for her health and development. Do you have a breeding mentor?

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry Snickers is a male! My bad on the typo, he's a year and 3 months, Lulu is the female she is a year and 9 months so she is more than ready to be bred.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Snickers is the male cat. Even though he has been “humping” clothes, he may not be quite ready to breed yet.

Since Lulu has been with you for only 3 weeks, Snickers is letting her know that this is his house and Daisy is his kitten. He is not accepting Lulu yet.

She is just barely appropriate breeding age, as it is recommended that females be a minimum of 18 months before being bred, and they should only have one litter per year.

Give them more time to adjust to one another and see what happens over the next few months, unless Lulu is already pregnant, but I suspect she’s been in heat.

What is your long-term plan for the kitten?

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you for all the information about the cats! Hopefully we can get Snickers to breed Lulu once they are ready. I know for now it will take time because Snickers has been here the longest so he is obviously going to be territorial. Our plan with the kitten is just to keep her as a pet, we got her for snickers to have a friend because I always felt bad leaving him alone at home when I went to work. She's due to get fixed in a few months so I don't have to worry about those two popping out kids. Lulu is a beautiful cat and apparently she has CPC and Snickers is a Persian Himalayan so from what the breeder told me she would make beautiful kittens. Thanks again for all the helps!

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have another random question. This morning Lulu, the older female who I am trying to breed would constantly follow snickers around and smell his butt and legs and he would turn around and hiss at her or jump away and get scared. He tried to crawl through my legs and was head butting me. I'm wondering if they did the deed last night and this is his way of reacting to it. Does anyone have any insight? Normally they haven't been going near eachother.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There’s no way to know. It sounds like she is just checking him out, but time will tell! :)

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so still no idea if Lulu is pregnant yet. Her belly seems the same size but she is totally more affectionate then normal. I think the real problem here is that Snickers (white male Persian) has become very territorial of Daisy the baby kitten. So if Lulu goes near her and Snickers is around he’ll charge after her and throw paws and hiss. I’ve tried to separate them and keep Daisy in another room but she will scream and meow and demands to come out, she’s very needy and gets jealous. Daisy is 12 weeks, Lulu almost 2 years and Snickers is 1.3 years. I’m trying to breed Snickers to Lulu but I feel like Daisy has gotten in the way and Snickers just gets aggressive. What should I do y’all?! Help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I already told you that you need to give it time, that Snickers may not be ready to breed, and for now, he is not very welcoming to Lulu because she is brand new in your household.

Daisy is needy because she is a baby. She should not be closed off by herself. It’s normal for her to want and need socialization.

Perhaps you should take Lulu to be bred elsewhere. Find a registered Persian stud through a breeder and take her there for a couple of days.

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you for the advice I will look around! Do you know any breeders or people that have male stud service in the Boston area?

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
7965B3E5-4E6B-400C-B9F6-F15035325628.jpeg
7965B3E5-4E6B-400C-B9F6-F15035325628.jpeg
Ok so here’s the deal, we think Lulu is pregnant her nipples are enlarged and pinker than normal. I noticed it when we gave her a bath today. Her belly seems to be the same size maybe a little larger. It’s hard to say..what do you think?!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s difficult to say. You can take her to the vet for an ultrasound.

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, aren’t the cats nipples usually flat and suppressed when they aren’t pregnant? Like non exposed

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so still dont think Lulu is pregnant yet..Getting impatient here. Do you think I could use a cage with a full spectrum light bulb that is on for 12 hours or more a day to hope that pregnancy actually happens? I was going to build something out of wood but I think ill just buy a metal collapsable cage. Let me know your thoughts and ideas!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lulu is new to your home and may not be ready. I don’t think trying to rush this is advisable. Surely you want her to be comfortable in your home above all else.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suggested that you find a breeder with a stud since you are in a rush to breed her.

Have you found a mentor?

purrshunn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I mean Lulu has been with us over a month now, she seems to be very comfortable. Jumps in bed with us, jumps on the couch meows for attention so I mean from what I see she is totally different from when we first got her. I mean im not dying to breed her would just like it to happen sometime soon, I already have a list of people who want kittens so were hoping soon! I have looked into breeders for stud service but they want a rediculous amount of money and I've already spent more than that on these cats.