Question About Fortekor Dosage

forcryinoutloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jack is on 5mg of fortekor a day for his heart and 3ml of lasix split in two doses. I give him the lasix in the morning, and at supper and the fortekor at night, because if he gets the lasix and fortekor too close together he just throws it all up. Last night however I got his pill ready, and put his food out to let him eat before giving him the pill so he doesn't get it on an empty stomach, which also makes him throw up. He took longer than usual to eat and I was really tired last night and this morning I was horrified to see I actually had forgotten to give him the pill. I gave it to him around lunch time today, a couple hours after the lasix, and now I am wondering if it is safe for me to give him his usual pill tonight? It's been about 12 hours since he had the fortekor 5mg. I prefer giving it to him at night because it makes it easier to separate the lasix, and the fortekor makes him tired so I'd rather him be sleepier at night so he isn't meowing all night because everyone is in bed but obviously I don't want to give it to him if it's not safe - so my question is, can I give it to him now, after 12 hours, or should I wait until tomorrow night to give him the next dose?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to give half a 5 mg pill of Fortekor every night to my cat Lola for her kidneys. I always tried to be on time with it, usually between 9 pm and 10 pm.
But I also happened to forget it, so her daily dose was skipped.
I asked the vet and she told me that in my case, because that pill wasn't a life-saving medicine, skipping a dose wasn't a problem.
But this was for her kidney, I couldn't say for his heart. What I can say for sure is that you should allow the same time between two pills, so if you give it to your cat 12 hours later then you should change your timetable from that moment on.