Question About Dexter's Jaw

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. It's been a wild and wooly few weeks.

I was petting Dexter today and noticed he has a...notch?...in his lower jaw, only on one side. It is hard, like bone. It isn't a protrusion.

We got him as a stray around 12 weeks of age. He has had really bad breath since he was a kitten.

He is still eating and playing normally. He wolfs his food down much faster than Evie and Emerson! He loves having his chin scratched/rubbed and allowed me to palpate the area, so I don't think it is bothering him, per se. His coat is shiny and sleek. He grooms normally/appropriately.

Could this be a pre-existing, healed injury from before we got him? He has his annual in December, so I will definitely be asking the vet's opinion. He has been to several kitten checkups (boosters, neuter, etc.) and the vet hasn't mentioned anything out of the ordinary, but then again, a jaw manipulation/examination isn't in the regular exam!...

Just wondered if anyone has seen something like this before. I would take a picture, but there is nothing to see!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since you haven't noticed it before and it is only on one side, I would take him in now for a check just to make sure it isn't anything of concern. I know it's an exam fee to be told it's nothing but I am a cautious person by nature. Plus, knowing myself, I'd rather feel a fool for paying $45 to be told it's just a normal thing then find out months later it's something serious and too far to do anything.