Question about dehumidifiers

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the market for a dehumidifier. Something to use in the bathroom for now, but also that can be used in other rooms if necessary. I found a few I like but I'm confused about something when reading the "specs".
Due to the dampness in the bathroom right now, I want it to be able to run continuously, where I just need to empty the bucket when full. But in the specs, they say that they have (most dehumififiers have this), a "Max running time" of 2000 h.
What does the running time mean?? Will the unit fail after just a few weeks of usage? When I read reviews and such it seems like most people just turn it on and leave it on and either empty the bucket when full or attach the drain hose...for continuous use. But if it only has a 2000h running time why would a unit offer a drain hose option?
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I really don't know where/how this "max running time" applies????

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I can't find anything explaining what maximum run time means. I know they don't self-destruct, especially after only 83 days! So maybe it means that even if set to run continuously, it'll do a shutdown after 2000 hours, or something like that. They do tend to ice up and have to thaw out occasionally.

My last house had a moisture problem in the basement so I've dealt with way too many dehumidifiers. You won't like your electric bill if it runs continuously! But in a bathroom it probably won't.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the market for a dehumidifier. Something to use in the bathroom for now, but also that can be used in other rooms if necessary. I found a few I like but I'm confused about something when reading the "specs".
Due to the dampness in the bathroom right now, I want it to be able to run continuously, where I just need to empty the bucket when full. But in the specs, they say that they have (most dehumififiers have this), a "Max running time" of 2000 h.
What does the running time mean?? Will the unit fail after just a few weeks of usage? When I read reviews and such it seems like most people just turn it on and leave it on and either empty the bucket when full or attach the drain hose...for continuous use. But if it only has a 2000h running time why would a unit offer a drain hose option?
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I really don't know where/how this "max running time" applies????
That may be the life expectancy of the unit if run non-stop. Our dehumidifier- a GE- has both a humidistat and a timer, and the humidistat is set for 50%, although it can be set higher or lower. It is also set for a 4 hour on- 4 hour off cycle, which works well in our basement. Our particular unit has a 72 pint capacity, although we have a drain hose attached. Our previous unit lasted something like 10 years, and this one we have had for around 4, and it still works fine.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that means that you have to shut it off periodically? Don’t know But if yours is set to go and off based on humidity then it will do that itself. I have one in my basement. The first lasted maybe twelve years and for six or seven months of the year runs pretty much continuously. I am on my second one now, and it’s been about four years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, maybe it means that the condenser/compressor has the capacity to run for 2000 hours non stop before over heating or something. Which of course, if working properly, should not happen as it should not take that much time to dehumidify a room.
When I say I want to just run it continuously, I'm referring to setting the humidity level and allowing the unit to determine when it needs to kick in based on what it senses, so obviously it shouldn't be running non stop.
At least I'm not the only one who doesn't know exactly what the heck a Maximum Run Time is....

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure. Our dehumidifier is in the basement and it runs continuously. When it's full, we use the water for plants and flowers. Our basement is quite humid....we've even Kilzed the walls and painted the floor. And it still runs full-tilt throughout the summer. Not so much during the winter. We've had it for well over ten years at this point.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im thinking of getting one as well but dont want to pay an arm and a leg for it though :dizzycat:
It depends on what your needs are. A small unit with a smaller capacity and fewer features naturally will cost less up front. Ours, with a greater ability to remove moisture, plus the automatic features, cost $200.00 in 2015 at Home Depot.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what your needs are. A small unit with a smaller capacity and fewer features naturally will cost less up front. Ours, with a greater ability to remove moisture, plus the automatic features, cost $200.00 in 2015 at Home Depot.
im getting mine from amazon ... just dont really know when though