Question about cat vomiting/sensitive stomach?

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Tundra, has what I consider to be an EXTREMELY sensitive stomach. I've tried all sorts of wet food, some dry treats, tuna, chicken, broths, etc. She only seems to be able to stomach one particular dry food (everything else she throws up) - and even then, we find vomit all throughout the house every couple of days, with undigested bits of food mixed in. All other things with her are normal - eating and drinking, playing, socializing, using the litter box.

I mentioned this to my vet and he suggested one of those slow feeder bowls, which I've now got in place just for her. He said that if it continues, or anything else seems off, maybe he'd do some blood tests to check for a problem with her pancreas? Just wanted to see if anyone else has a cat with a super sensitive stomach and are there other things to try (maybe a good dry food suggestion)?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When does she vomit? Is it within just a few minutes of eating, or much later? Have you tried feeding a limited ingredient food yet? This sounds like she might need a "clean" diet, which would consist of a specific protein and very little else, which might even need to be a prescription food, or a raw diet, unless she is really regurgitating from eating too fast. If your Vet suggested a slow feeder bowl, he must think she is regurgitating, but that normally happens within 15 minutes of them eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When she throws up bits of undigested food, it is within 15 minutes of eating. To complicate matters, she also eats hay (we also have 3 guinea pigs, and no matter how hard I try, there's always bits of hay lying around, and for some reason, she likes to eat it!)....so then I find throw up with little bits of hay in it as well. And lastly, she has long fur (which I try to brush daily) and so she also has hairballs. So it seems this cat is throwing up something almost daily....:frown:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Throwing up within 15 minutes of eating is typically a sign of eating too fast, or too much, and that's why your Vet suggested a slow feeder bowl. Along with that, you could raise that new bowl (I just put my fast eater's bowl up on a large can of peaches or whatever I have handy) AND feed smaller amounts more frequently. That way they can't really over eat because they won't get too much to full up their tummies too much. And if they eat more often, they shouldn't "pig out" because they will learn the next meal isn't that far off. Of course, you have the hay to content with as well. I imagine hay simply doesn't digest and causes stomach distress. Imagine that poking into your stomach :eek2:

So if you can take care of all the above issues and STILL have the vomiting problem, then I think it's definitely time for a closer look at her "innards" by the Vet.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
possible hairball? i know graycie will puke after eating at different times until she finally expels the hairball. best to get a vet visitlike mrs green jeans suggested