Pyoderma, again

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a a previous thread of mine I told how my cat licked obsessively the inner of her hind leg after a blood sampling and this led to pyoderma.
She had to wear the cone for 7 weeks, until 10 days ago. The vets said that her skin was probably disturbed by the clipper blades.
Today I noticed that she was licking under her tail too often, so eventually I checked and found this
PSX_20240424_211343.jpg

As you can see, she developed another pyoderma on her tail near her anus.
This time nothing happened prior to this episode, so wonder why she needs to lick for so long. I immediately put the cone on again. I'm afraid she will have to wear for 7 weeks again... until next time.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat with Pyoderma was seen by a vet Friday morning (Thursday was a national holiday here, so I had to wait) and the vet told me to do nothing but keep the area clean and sanitized with chlorhexidine and said that I could apply a cream to help skin to regenerate, any OTC cream that any pharmacy could suggest.
And this is what I did. Her skin is slowly healing, but I know it will be another long course of therapy and several weeks of cone.
I ordered a larger (and slightly longer) cone because my cat can easily reach for that spot and lick it. I'm bandaging the area so to keep it out of reach.

The vet said that it could be an allergy to something in the environment, because this time there was no trigger element, unlike the three times before. I wonder if it could be stress-related.
What I fear is that this cat might need a cone for most of her life, and she's absolutely sad right now.