Purebred Ragdoll Breed Question

ryanb4614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i had my kitten for 4 weeks now. She has been great. I got her from a breeder. Mother was blue point ragdoll and father is seal lynx. I have their papers. My kitten was sold as unregistered blue point lynx. Now I have a few questions about her. She was just at my vet for the first time and I got a new guy that just came out of school. He said his barn cats used to have kittens that looked just like mine and was I sure she was a ragdoll because she doesn't have blue eyes. I got a little upset with him making those comments but I want to know your thoughts? He thought I should question the breeder but I have the papers?

Other question. Can I have my kitten registered or did the breeder have to do that through tica?

I know she was born white. She's awesome still hissing at my dog but never attacks (this dog is the hyper but supper friendly one).

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If you have the papers, your kitty is indeed a purebred. I can tell from looking at her that she is very much a Ragdoll ;). This person's barn cats were likely just Ragdoll lookalikes. I'm not familiar with TICA, but as long as you have the papers, I believe you can get your baby CFA registered: Online Individual Registration
Your new kitten is so cute! What's her name?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello R ryanb4614 , welcome to TCS :wave3:

You have a lovely kitten there :lovecat4:. Feel free to ask questions if you have any and do check out the rest of the site for the many good reads in the Articles section and Forum threads :wink:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your breeder should register this kitten with his assocition, the TICA. Easiest is if you get him to do it. Its no big money, so he really dont spare much by not registering the litter. But if necessary, propose you pay for it.

What the vet said is in part true. Its fully possible and not uncommon for random moggies to get decent look alikes, even points. So its another reason why its so important to have all the paperwork settled.
Otherwise you are buying essentially a moggie look alike if you dont have paperwork done properly.

But it was probably quite undiplomatic said by the vet... He shouuldnt, unless he were directly asked. OR wanted to help you, to make you talk again with teh breeder.

New examined professionals arent always bad - its often them whom still have ambitions, whom still wants to be extra pleasant, to make a positive difference in the world. Whom make some extra efforts if needed.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll is the cat on the avatar. He is pure white, non-pointed but was selling for $900.00 without papers; only the parents registration pedigree papers were shown to me. The mother was pure white and the father was blue point Ragdoll. I called TICA to verify the number on the certificate and they told me pure white Ragdolls are legit. Both parents are 3rd generation Ragdolls. My question is, why are whites considered pure Ragdolls by TICA and not CFA? Why aren't all these companies on the same page? I managed to negotiate and the little boy for $750 from $900. No registration papers were given. I think cat breeders should be regulated and not "willy nilly" charging whatever price for a Ragdoll. Some just pet quality are sold for $1,500.00 and standard show quality $3,500.00 and higher, and with no breeding rights, if you breed cats before. I've even seen some breeder sites and they sell their "pet quality" Ragdoll for $2,500.00!!!!!!!I think it's fraud and abuse from these breeder, and they refuse to give proof of pedigree unless you neuter by 6 months, which some experts say male cats do not develop their distinct male features by 6 month or less if operated during that time. I am think of getting another Ragdoll as companion to my kitten. Any reputable, honest, ethical, and reasonably pricing breeder around the South Florida or North Carolina area?

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She looks like a Ragdoll to me. Typically the breeder registers the cat and that's included in the price. You can register it yourself provided the papers are legit. I believe I would check into the papers and make sure they are. From what I'm seeing on the CFA site blue eyes are the standard for show quality Ragdolls. I'm not sure about eye colors of Pet quality Ragdolls. I don't know what you paid for her or if you had a contract or what was included if there was a contract. She's a beautiful cat none the less. If she has a good temperament, no behavioral issues and your happy with her that's all that matters. Welcome to TCS!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
My Ragdoll is the cat on the avatar. He is pure white, non-pointed but was selling for $900.00 without papers; only the parents registration pedigree papers were shown to me. The mother was pure white and the father was blue point Ragdoll. I called TICA to verify the number on the certificate and they told me pure white Ragdolls are legit. Both parents are 3rd generation Ragdolls. My question is, why are whites considered pure Ragdolls by TICA and not CFA? Why aren't all these companies on the same page? I managed to negotiate and the little boy for $750 from $900. No registration papers were given. I think cat breeders should be regulated and not "willy nilly" charging whatever price for a Ragdoll. Some just pet quality are sold for $1,500.00 and standard show quality $3,500.00 and higher, and with no breeding rights, if you breed cats before. I've even seen some breeder sites and they sell their "pet quality" Ragdoll for $2,500.00!!!!!!!I think it's fraud and abuse from these breeder, and they refuse to give proof of pedigree unless you neuter by 6 months, which some experts say male cats do not develop their distinct male features by 6 month or less if operated during that time. I am think of getting another Ragdoll as companion to my kitten. Any reputable, honest, ethical, and reasonably pricing breeder around the South Florida or North Carolina area?
CFA and TICA are two separate organizations, run by different people, and each decides their own standards. CFA has stricter standards and accept less breeds (42 compared to TICA's 71). CFA was also more hesitant to admit hybrids, only beginning to register Bengals (as a miscellaneous breed only) in spring of 2016.

Regarding price discrepancies between breeders; while I've never seen a breeder selling a pet-quality kitten for $2500, there is some variation. A kitten from an internationally acclaimed breeder is going to cost more than from a breeder who is just starting out, even if both are equally ethical and responsible. Bloodlines also are factored into the price. A kitten from a National Winner x National Winner mating will cost more than one from a Champion x Champion cross. Part of the reason for this is that the kitten from a NW x NW paring could be, most likely, considered show-quality from another breeder, they might just not be the pick of the litter, which is why they're labeled as pet-quality.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions!

The best way to find a reputable breeder is to go to a cat show. You can be sure these are the reputable ones because they are the ones who spend the time and money to go to the shows in the first place. I'll attach links to the CFA and TICA show schedules.

Show Calendar

TICA Show Calendar

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
TICA and CFA have different standards. Maine Coon breeders I've talk to have told me they wouldn't even attempt to show in CFA they wouldn't place but do well in TICA and vice versa. Just the way it is. I think prices vary depending on the area your in. Demand verses availability. Whether the breeder shows or not, awards won, ranking, etc. Obviously a cat sold with breeding rights is going to cost more.

I'm not sure how it work but the reason they hold registration from what I've read and been told is 1. They don't want you breeding their cats without paying for breeders rights. If you breed them anyway you can't prove they are purebred. 2. They want those registrations to prove how many offspring a male or female have had. I think the amount of offspring a particular cat has had effect their pedigree or something. Like I said, I don't know all the particulars but it makes sense if you research it out.

Some off the prices you've listed do seem high but it does depend on pedigree and such. I done a quick search on Ragdoll breeders in NC and found All Star Rags Cattery. It looks like they have kittens available most of the time. I copied this from their page:

( Pet quality ragdoll kittens are $1000 and up (Lynx $100 more). Prices include neutering / spaying, 1st distemper vaccine, deworming, vet check, registration paper and 2 years from birth genetic health guarantee. )

Doesn't sound like a bad deal really. I didn't research it of course. Just did a quick google search. You just have to do your research before you buy. I'm looking to get a Maine Coon in the near future and I've been researching Cattery's for almost a year now. Visited quit a few also. Hope this helps! Welcome to TCS!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ - Can you get one of these double post deleted for me? This happened to me last nite on another thread. It posted over 100 times. jcat cat straightened that out for me. Said they thought that was a new record. Both times this happened it hung up on me and I went to more options and replied there and it pushed it through. Don't know if it's a glitch or what?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not a moderator so I cant do this myself, but Jcat is, I think, so she can
StefanZ StefanZ - Can you get one of these double post deleted for me? This happened to me last nite on another thread. It posted over 100 times. jcat cat straightened that out for me. Said they thought that was a new record. Both times this happened it hung up on me and I went to more options and replied there and it pushed it through. Don't know if it's a glitch or what?

You can also flag a post; this message is going straigh to the "mod on watch duty". You know, the little Flag icon in the left down corner of every post.
If there are multiple posts, it may enough to flag just one, the mods can look and see them too. :)

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im not a moderator so I cant do this myself, but Jcat is, I think, so she can

You can also flag a post; this message is going straigh to the "mod on watch duty". You know, the little Flag icon in the left down corner of every post.
If there are multiple posts, it may enough to flag just one, the mods can look and see them too. :)
Thanks Stefanz! I thought about flagging the post but didn't know for sure how to handle that. Good to know, thank you.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information. A friend of mine some years ago wanted to buy a Maine Coon kitten with breeding rights and the breeder was charging $4,000.00 for it, but my friend was willing to pay that outrageous price. The breeder said that my friend did not have a registered cattery in her name and did not have the experience as a breeder (she bred persians years ago) and would not sell her kitten for 4 grand because of that.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information. A friend of mine some years ago wanted to buy a Maine Coon kitten with breeding rights and the breeder was charging $4,000.00 for it, but my friend was willing to pay that outrageous price. The breeder said that my friend did not have a registered cattery in her name and did not have the experience as a breeder (she bred persians years ago) and would not sell her kitten for 4 grand because of that.
This makes sense if your friend was buying the kitten to breed from.