Pu Surgery Question

Gfan1200

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tomorrow will be a week since my 6 year old cat had pu surgery. He still isn't getting up very often... maybe once a day. I'm sure he is still hurting, but as of yesterday they stopped his pain meds. Is this normal behavior? When can I expect him to start moving around more often?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know what? I'd give his vet a call and ask. There just isn't a lot of info out there on how long post-op pain (which is considered mild to moderate) will last, and I did a bit of digging. Let them know that he still doesn't want to move around much at all, and they can advise you...AND they should be more than happy to!

rinnyfer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tomorrow will be a week since my 6 year old cat had pu surgery. He still isn't getting up very often... maybe once a day. I'm sure he is still hurting, but as of yesterday they stopped his pain meds. Is this normal behavior? When can I expect him to start moving around more often?
My cat was supposed to be on pain meds for only five days after the surgery, but he seemed to be in serious pain so I called my vet and they told me it would be okay to continue giving him pain medication which I did for another 4 or so days. So, in total, it took about 9 days on pain meds before he started moving around and wanting to jump up and do stuff.
Hope your cat is doing well :)