Pu Surgery Cat Increased Urination Need Advice

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had PU surgery 2 months ago is it normal for him to urinate 5 times a day every time? He urinated 7 times only today. He drink normally, very active, has good appetite, no vomiting, gaining weight, has normal stool,the flow of urine is with no straining. The vet also mentioned that there could be behavioral problems of urinating frequently since his manhood was removed instantly that he had for 8 years. Is this normal? This is only the thing i observed but he is very active other than that. He is eating wet foods like fancy feast classic others like 2 1/2 cans 3 oz wet food a day with moistures 85%, 80%, 78% water content

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say, given what your vet told you and given the fact that he is active, happy, and eating normally, that this is normal, at least for him after this procedure. My girl urinates several times a day, although I've never actually counted it as she is healthy. LOL, I just spent about 30 minutes looking up everything I could find about PU surgery, and they only warn about NOT urinating at least once a day. I'd say you and your cat are fine!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't count how often Tom pees. I know it's probably 2 or 3 times a day actually around me, but I don't keep track, I just listen to make sure his stream is still like that of a grown horse. When he first got the surgery he was eating well, but only urinating once a day because everything was different and he didn't want to do it. His surgery was way back in February.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat is at the vet right now and he has infection because his wbc is elevated and has slightly elevated crea 2.6 mg/dl and bun 70. The vet sais 2.3 mg/dl is the normal range. Can infection cause elevation of crea and urea? the vet said other test are normal only these 3 are elevated

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely. They are one of the indicators of kidney infection. With his issues prior to surgery, a kidney infection is not at all unexpected. Let us know how he does!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi if it's kidney infection, is it treatable? My cat was confined 3 days ago because there is blood in his urine and was IV in there and his infection is at 29 at that time the normal is 19. There is still no diagnosis because the main vet is out of town. He is only giving orders to assistant vet via phone call. He just arrived today and will check troubleshoot everything now. 1 day after admission my cat has no longer blood in his urine and I visited him today he is no longer had IV and I fed him he is very active and has big appetite. He is still at the vet because he is still under medication. And they will get another bloodtest but not sure when. Will my cat be okay? He is very active there and has good appetite and no more blood in the urine. Will the crea be normal again once infection is treated?

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Infections are indeed treatable, very much so, once the bacteria responsible is correctly identified. MOST will respond to a broad-spectrum antibiotic, but a few stubborn ones require a more specialized treatment. But in either case, YES. Your cat should be just fine once he begins his treatment with the proper antibiotic. Hang in there!

Iammumble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had PU surgery 2 months ago is it normal for him to urinate 5 times a day every time? He urinated 7 times only today. He drink normally, very active, has good appetite, no vomiting, gaining weight, has normal stool,the flow of urine is with no straining. The vet also mentioned that there could be behavioral problems of urinating frequently since his manhood was removed instantly that he had for 8 years. Is this normal? This is only the thing i observed but he is very active other than that. He is eating wet foods like fancy feast classic others like 2 1/2 cans 3 oz wet food a day with moistures 85%, 80%, 78% water content
I'm experiencing the same thing with my cat! He's using the litter about 8 times a day which includes probably 2 times of pooping. Vet has no clue why as there's no infection. He's also overgrooming. Did you car experience this too? Did you ever find out the cause??