Problems With Bones Feeding

ignited-red

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Recently I have a quite issue with my two cats who seems to get bored by eating bones from small chop of chicken wings and tights. They just won't eat it and leave it as it is.

What should I do to feed them calcium? I do give them bone broth everyday but I think it's still not enough for their calcium intake.

Need to shed some light

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't know what to do with whole bones, except small chicken breast bones. I smash larger bones, like thigh bones, up with a hammer and then cut apart with scissors to mix into their food. (No grinder here.)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats don't know what to do with whole bones, except small chicken breast bones. I smash larger bones, like thigh bones, up with a hammer and then cut apart with scissors to mix into their food. (No grinder here.)
Smashing bones like that really isn't recommended. I'm glad your cats are doing well on it so far, but I'd really worry about bone shards possibly doing damage :cringe: With whole bones, they HAVE to chew them properly, but with smashed up pieces there's a risk of them being swallowed rather than chewed.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently I have a quite issue with my two cats who seems to get bored by eating bones from small chop of chicken wings and tights. They just won't eat it and leave it as it is.
How long has it been since they were seen by a vet? Maybe they have developed a dental problem that is making them not want to chew bones. :dunno:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smashing bones like that really isn't recommended. I'm glad your cats are doing well on it so far, but I'd really worry about bone shards possibly doing damage :cringe: With whole bones, they HAVE to chew them properly, but with smashed up pieces there's a risk of them being swallowed rather than chewed.
Six years, no problems. I smash them as small as the regular grind Hare Today pieces. They leave any big pieces on their plates. They bones recognize whole bones as edible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ignited-red

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feeding ground bone-in raw? You can either grind it yourself at home or buy it ready ground from raw feeding suppliers. Powdered eggshell is commonly used as an alternative calcium source for CKD cats, so that's another option :)
Raw Feeding Cats: Calcium And Bones
Raw Feeding Cats: Types Of Raw Diets & Feeding Options
Raw Recipe Thread
I did try to use ready ground raw with bones in it, one of my cats won't eat it. They became picky eaters.
I will try your suggestion using eggshell powder

Thank you :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ignited-red

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since they were seen by a vet? Maybe they have developed a dental problem that is making them not want to chew bones. :dunno:
Recently, this week, been to vet and vet says nothing matters, their gums are healthy and no dental problems at all.
I assume, they get bored with their meals. There's nothing I can do more because in the country I live, protein source available for cats only chicken, I don't have turkey and duck are more expensive than chicken. Been given them duck once but they just ignore it.